The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next preseason plans

Rate this topic

alucard

Let`s forget about this passing horrible season and talk about next VITAL preseason,

forget Benning a bit and talk about future,

what would you do in this upcoming preseason, what would be your plan?

who you would draft who you would trade, who you would sign etc?

and most important thing, WHO WOULD BE THE COACH for next season?

what would be your line-up and ...

and explain why.

Let`s talk about building not destroying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I think that we still need to concentrate on this season.  We can't just write it off and say "next".  If we collapse at the end of this season it will lead to less confidence next season and confidence is really important.  We don't need to win every game but we have to at least try to, and keep improving in the here and now.  The plan for next year is the same as for every year, ice the best team possible.  Go Canucks Go!

• Vintage 1

To start I think we should draft only defensemen and centres in the first 6 rounds, the best available player in those positions. And then take a flyer on another goalie prospect. I am okay with Green as the coach and definitely lockup Ian Clark. I would however bring in a new slate of assistants. Not sure of the status of our current players contracts but I am okay if we say goodbye most of them that are up for possible renewal. My uneducated thinking is I am willing to go with farm team replacements, in most cases, rather than attempt to secure a position player via free agency. Of course when Benning does the opposite I will understand.

7 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

To start I think we should draft only defensemen and centres in the first 6 rounds, the best available player in those positions. And then take a flyer on another goalie prospect.

I was thinking this for a while as well, but if we end up picking in the 6-10 range and Wallstedt is still available I really hope we pick him. Its risky picking goalies in the 1st round but this kid seems legit, he's having a very good season in the SHL. By the time he's NHL ready Demko will be in his last year of his current deal so the timing would be ideal. We've seen what not having good goalies in the system does to teams.

My guess is if Seattle drops to 4th or 5th they pick him. 

I am okay with Green as the coach and definitely lockup Ian Clark. I would however bring in a new slate of assistants.

yup

Not sure of the status of our current players contracts but I am okay if we say goodbye most of them that are up for possible renewal. My uneducated thinking is I am willing to go with farm team replacements, in most cases, rather than attempt to secure a position player via free agency. Of course when Benning does the opposite I will understand.

there are going to be some more tough decisions to make for sure. I could see this being Edlers last season with us. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

40 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

To start I think we should draft only defensemen and centres in the first 6 rounds, the best available player in those positions. And then take a flyer on another goalie prospect. I am okay with Green as the coach and definitely lockup Ian Clark. I would however bring in a new slate of assistants. Not sure of the status of our current players contracts but I am okay if we say goodbye most of them that are up for possible renewal. My uneducated thinking is I am willing to go with farm team replacements, in most cases, rather than attempt to secure a position player via free agency. Of course when Benning does the opposite I will understand.

Agree with your draft ideas of defensemen, centres and perhaps a goalkeeper.  Also, I agree that some of the special assistant coaches need to be changed up with a new perspective.  Our powerplay is totally hit and miss and very predictable to defend.  

1. fire all the coaches   bring in some people that are professional know how to do a line change  run a powerplay , play defense, outlet passes you know fundamentals.

2. trade any assets you dont see on team long term for picks and waive a few vets  or leave them for seattle to take ( eriksson, beagle, roussel, myers) 18 mill  being wasted right here.

3. draft  a right d like clarke  abd tyen find gems in later rounds

4.sign podkolzin, tryamkin and a decent 3rd line center and petey and hughes.

Edited by canuktravella
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

1. fire all the coaches   bring in some people that are professional know how to do a line change  run a powerplay , play defense, outlet passes you know fundamentals.

2. trade any assets you dont see on team long term for picks and waive a few vets  or leave them for seattle to take ( eriksson, beagle, roussel, myers) 18 mill  being wasted right here.

3. draft  a right d like clarke  abd tyen find gems in later rounds

4.sign podkolzin, tryamkin and a decent 3rd line center and petey and hughes.

Is that actually you, with your white rim sunglasses in that photo?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BENN said:

Let`s forget about this passing horrible season and talk about next VITAL preseason

You can't simply close the book on this season. 

There's a LOT of development and evaluating that can be done in the remaining schedule.   We're poised to see guys like Lind, Rathbone,  Bowey,  Boyd, Highmore, Rafferty...maybe even MDP see game action.  Even OJ, when he recovers should get more meaningful minutes.   

I'd say the remaining schedule, whether we make post season or not, is still very important from a franchise perspective. 

• Cheers 2

If I were given the keys to the team, this is what I would do:

Coaching Staff: keep it as it is. 

Expansion Draft Protection: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Myers, Schmidt, Juolevi and Demko.

Expansion Draft Assumption: lose Virtanen

Buyouts: Eriksson ($4.0M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.0M cap hit for 2022-23); Roussel ($1.733M cap hit for 2021-22 and $0.633M cap hit for 2022-23) and Holtby ($0.500M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.9M cap hit for 2022-23).  Creates a little over $7.0M cap space.

Dead Cap Space: $9.3M for 2021-2022 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby, Luongo); $3.533M for 2022-23 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby); $0 for 2023-24 (assuming no additional buyouts/retained contracts)

Signings: Sutter (1 yr x $2.0M - cap hit $3.0M for Beagle's LTIR cap space); Vesey (1 yr x $1.0M); Boyd (1 yr x $$750k); Podkolzin (3 yr x $925k); Lind (1 yr x $750k); Hamonic (2 yrs x $3.0M); Edler (1 yr x $3.0M); Tryamkin (2 yr x $2.0M); Juolevi (1 yr x $900k); Pettersson (3 yrs x $7.0M); Hughes (3 yrs x $7.0M)

Amateur Draft: target RHDs and Centres (bigger the player the better)

2021-2022 23 Man Line Up (LW-C-RW; LD-RD; G)

Not a championship team, but playoff bubble team and positioned with cap flexibility into 2022-2023 and beyond:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Vesey - Sutter - Podkolzin

Motte - Lind - Boyd

Spares: Highmore -OR- MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Tryamkin

Spares: Juolevi -AND- Bowey

Demko -AND- DiPietro

Cap Hit (assuming signings as listed above happens): $80.049M (leaves $1.4M wiggle room).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

i'ld like to see us free up another 15 mil with some combo of louie, edler, sutter, ferland, jake and roussel.

ideal, louie retires, buy out roussel, trade jake, holtby, walk away from either edler or sutter.

let lind, podkolzin juolevi, rathbone and dipietro play.

get through this year as healthy as possible.

assess the gm and coaching staff at season's end and make decisions on moving or keeping them.  FA.

try to make 3 scoring lines up front and od and do on each pairing.

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld like to see us free up another 15 mil with some combo of louie, edler, sutter, ferland, jake and roussel.

ideal, louie retires, buy out roussel, trade jake, holtby, walk away from either edler or sutter or both.

let lind, podkolzin juolevi, rathbone and dipietro play.

get through this year as healthy as possible.

assess the gm and coaching staff at season's end and make decisions on moving or keeping them.  FA.

try to make 3 scoring lines up front and od and do on each pairing.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

Sadly I suspect as both the GM and the coach had no experience ie no one was competing for their services Aquaman got them at a below going rates. A great coach such as Barry Trotz is on approx $5 mill per season, I don't believe FA wants or can't afford that sort of money so here we are. I think the same holds true of JB, he hasn't blown the top of the GM management valuation line ups

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If I were given the keys to the team, this is what I would do:

Coaching Staff: keep it as it is. 

Expansion Draft Protection: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Myers, Schmidt, Juolevi and Demko.

Expansion Draft Assumption: lose Virtanen

Buyouts: Eriksson ($4.0M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.0M cap hit for 2022-23); Roussel ($1.733M cap hit for 2021-22 and $0.633M cap hit for 2022-23) and Holtby ($0.500M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.9M cap hit for 2022-23).  Creates a little over $7.0M cap space.

Dead Cap Space: $9.3M for 2021-2022 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby, Luongo); $3.533M for 2022-23 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby); $0 for 2023-24 (assuming no additional buyouts/retained contracts)

Signings: Sutter (1 yr x $2.0M - cap hit $3.0M for Beagle's LTIR cap space); Vesey (1 yr x $1.0M); Boyd (1 yr x $$750k); Podkolzin (3 yr x $925k); Lind (1 yr x $750k); Hamonic (2 yrs x $3.0M); Edler (1 yr x $3.0M); Tryamkin (2 yr x $2.0M); Juolevi (1 yr x $900k); Pettersson (3 yrs x $7.0M); Hughes (3 yrs x $7.0M)

Amateur Draft: target RHDs and Centres (bigger the player the better)

2021-2022 23 Man Line Up (LW-C-RW; LD-RD; G)

Not a championship team, but playoff bubble team and positioned with cap flexibility into 2022-2023 and beyond:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Vesey - Sutter - Podkolzin

Motte - Lind - Boyd

Spares: Highmore -OR- MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Tryamkin

Spares: Juolevi -AND- Bowey

Demko -AND- DiPietro

Cap Hit (assuming signings as listed above happens): $80.049M (leaves $1.4M wiggle room).

Green deserves a 1 year show me deal with new assistant coaches, I believe baumer and brown have had enough chances and they need to go 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BENN said:

Let`s forget about this passing horrible season and talk about next VITAL preseason,

forget Benning a bit and talk about future,

what would you do in this upcoming preseason, what would be your plan?

who you would draft who you would trade, who you would sign etc?

and most important thing, WHO WOULD BE THE COACH for next season?

what would be your line-up and ...

and explain why.

Let`s talk about building not destroying.

-Look for upgrades on D and 3C via teams set to lose someone in the ED.

-Buyout Eriksson.

-Re-sign Hughes/Pettersson.

-Sign Podkolzin and Tryamkin.

-If no upgrade at 3C, re-sign Sutter +/- $2x2.

-If no upgrade on Myers, protect him. If there's an upgrade, expose him.

-Gauge Hamonic's interest in returning. Possibility to expose Myers if he re-signs.

-Failing Hamonic, target Savard/Larsson UFA's

-Re-sign Edler 

If it's up to me, or lineup next year looks something like:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Roussel, Sutter/other, Motte

Highmore, Lind/Jasek, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Some of MacEwan, Hawryluck, Graovac etc as spares

Edler, Schmidt

Hughes, Hamonic/trade/Savard/Larsson

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Some of Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield etc as spares and Rathbone/Woo as first call ups.

Edited by aGENT

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

-Buyout Eriksson.

-Gauge Hamonic's interest in returning. Possibility to expose Myers if he re-signs.

-Re-sign Edler 

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Some of Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield etc as spares and Rathbone/Woo as first call ups.

this is pretty much the playbook, barring a high draft pick making the team. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

-Buyout Eriksson.

-Re-sign Edler 

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Tryamkin

sutter at 2 mill lol no thanks. you can get 2 bottom six players  for a mill per that will do a better job. hard pass 

9 minutes ago, BENN said:

Why keeping Green?

Why not hire an experienced coach like Gallant?

been a while nucks had an experienced coach.

Just curious. Why is it always Gallants name that comes up. Guy doesn’t seem to last more then a season or 2

17 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Just curious. Why is it always Gallants name that comes up. Guy doesn’t seem to last more then a season or 2

He has good record with panthers and knights, hockey people seem to like him, he did not last more than 2 seasons? sure,

but usually coaches do not last until you hit a jackpot,statistically a coach usually do not work until it works like in Tampa or Nashville, even with caps people were calling trotz to be fired until his last season that he redeemed himself.

I do not think the path forward is keeping Green, he does not bring up the prospects that well.

Not Gallant? OK, but someone with experience.