The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next preseason plans

Rate this topic

alucard

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

-Look for upgrades on D and 3C via teams set to lose someone in the ED.

-Buyout Eriksson.

-Re-sign Hughes/Pettersson.

-Sign Podkolzin and Tryamkin.

-If no upgrade at 3C, re-sign Sutter +/- $2x2.

-If no upgrade on Myers, protect him. If there's an upgrade, expose him.

-Gauge Hamonic's interest in returning. Possibility to expose Myers if he re-signs.

-Failing Hamonic, target Savard/Larsson UFA's

-Re-sign Edler 

If it's up to me, or lineup next year looks something like:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Roussel, Sutter/other, Motte

Highmore, Lind/Jasek, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Some of MacEwan, Hawryluck, Graovac etc as spares

Edler, Schmidt

Hughes, Hamonic/trade/Savard/Larsson

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Some of Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield etc as spares and Rathbone/Woo as first call ups.

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If I were given the keys to the team, this is what I would do:

Coaching Staff: keep it as it is. 

Expansion Draft Protection: Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, Myers, Schmidt, Juolevi and Demko.

Expansion Draft Assumption: lose Virtanen

Buyouts: Eriksson ($4.0M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.0M cap hit for 2022-23); Roussel ($1.733M cap hit for 2021-22 and $0.633M cap hit for 2022-23) and Holtby ($0.500M cap hit for 2021-22 and $1.9M cap hit for 2022-23).  Creates a little over $7.0M cap space.

Dead Cap Space: $9.3M for 2021-2022 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby, Luongo); $3.533M for 2022-23 (Eriksson, Roussel, Holtby); $0 for 2023-24 (assuming no additional buyouts/retained contracts)

Signings: Sutter (1 yr x $2.0M - cap hit $3.0M for Beagle's LTIR cap space); Vesey (1 yr x $1.0M); Boyd (1 yr x $$750k); Podkolzin (3 yr x $925k); Lind (1 yr x $750k); Hamonic (2 yrs x $3.0M); Edler (1 yr x $3.0M); Tryamkin (2 yr x $2.0M); Juolevi (1 yr x $900k); Pettersson (3 yrs x $7.0M); Hughes (3 yrs x $7.0M)

Amateur Draft: target RHDs and Centres (bigger the player the better)

2021-2022 23 Man Line Up (LW-C-RW; LD-RD; G)

Not a championship team, but playoff bubble team and positioned with cap flexibility into 2022-2023 and beyond:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Vesey - Sutter - Podkolzin

Motte - Lind - Boyd

Spares: Highmore -OR- MacEwan

Hughes - Hamonic

Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Tryamkin

Spares: Juolevi -AND- Bowey

Demko -AND- DiPietro

Cap Hit (assuming signings as listed above happens): $80.049M (leaves $1.4M wiggle room).

Fantastic format you used for the plan.

clean and precise.

Edited by BENN
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BENN said:

He has good record with panthers and knights, hockey people seem to like him, he did not last more than 2 seasons? sure,

but usually coaches do not last until you hit a jackpot,statistically a coach usually do not work until it works like in Tampa or Nashville, even with caps people were calling trotz to be fired until his last season that he redeemed himself.

I do not think the path forward is keeping Green, he does not bring up the prospects that well.

Not Gallant? OK, but someone with experience.

Yeah I agree that if Green was in the plans he would have had an extension. I personally wouldn’t mind him back but at the very least some experienced assistants.

It’s true coaches expire but it’s also curious that Green is a fairly young coach as well I think even the worst of times a coach should be able to string a few seasons together. Pretty bizarre with the way Gallants been let go the last couple times. 

I think Green has done a great job with young players. I think the expectations of all of them working out isn’t realistic. I think Greens deficiencies are more on coaches decisions during actual games then hindering young guys. I think the Gaudettes and Virtanens of the team were given more then their fair share of opportunities to succeed. 

• Like 1

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Vesey-Miller-Lind

Motte-Jasek-MacEwen

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

The only ? mark I have is I wonder if they try and get out of one of Schmidt/Myers contracts and re-sign Hamonic on the cheap. I'd personally get rid of Myers before Schmidt but I don't think Canucks would like to go 5 lefties 1 righty.

Edited by Outsiders
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gallant seems to be blacklisted by the NHL for some reason. 

But why?

what about Babcock?

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah I agree that if Green was in the plans he would have had an extension. I personally wouldn’t mind him back but at the very least some experienced assistants.

It’s true coaches expire but it’s also curious that Green is a fairly young coach as well I think even the worst of times a coach should be able to string a few seasons together. Pretty bizarre with the way Gallants been let go the last couple times. 

I think Green has done a great job with young players. I think the expectations of all of them working out isn’t realistic. I think Greens deficiencies are more on coaches decisions during actual games then hindering young guys. I think the Gaudettes and Virtanens of the team were given more then their fair share of opportunities to succeed. 

He benches Juolevi and plays vets.

I don't mind to keep Green, adding an experience coach to help him.

Ian is a must keep coach.  If possible, try to improve the PP coaching.

Goalie:  Demko and Holtby will be in net next season at a ratio 75/25.

Bring Tryamkin and Podelozin.

Give more opportunities to Rathbone, Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich, BigMac.

Keep Myers, Motte, Schmidt and Hamonic.

Edler is a life time Canucks, but he is downward, how about offer him as assistant coach.

If Loui retires, that will be great.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, BENN said:

Let`s forget about this passing horrible season and talk about next VITAL preseason,

forget Benning a bit and talk about future,

what would you do in this upcoming preseason, what would be your plan?

who you would draft who you would trade, who you would sign etc?

and most important thing, WHO WOULD BE THE COACH for next season?

what would be your line-up and ...

and explain why.

Let`s talk about building not destroying.

There isn't much to actually do because next year isn't that vital either, it's the season after where it's vital and JB is preparing for it already but most are too stupid to figure that out..  the best we need out of the next 2 seasons is what it tells about our young players and if they will fit or not after getting a hard long look, then who to go after in a trade or who else to give a chance in our pool and then we're set and that's why JB said 2 years.. after that, it's the push.. LE's and Louie will be off the books and the mentors as well to leave it in the hands of Bo Petey etc to take the reigns but until then it's in limbo until these next 2 years are over and we see what's the best to put on the ice, but until then, some people really need to relax! lol (seriously!) 

On 4/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, smithers joe said:

i'ld like to see us free up another 15 mil with some combo of louie, edler, sutter, ferland, jake and roussel.

ideal, louie retires, buy out roussel, trade jake, holtby, walk away from either edler or sutter.

let lind, podkolzin juolevi, rathbone and dipietro play.

get through this year as healthy as possible.

assess the gm and coaching staff at season's end and make decisions on moving or keeping them.  FA.

try to make 3 scoring lines up front and od and do on each pairing.

Was thinking if we re-sign Sutter to replace Beagle that would work out pretty decently for us.   And if Podz comes in as advertised the team could afford to make three scoring lines by using Miller as the 3C.   There isn't any UFA this year worth the bother really, and this way the team could concentrate on adding a winger once the space clears up to create three scoring lines (add one plus Podz).    Maybe that's JB plan for next season and beyond. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Was thinking if we re-sign Sutter to replace Beagle that would work out pretty decently for us.   And if Podz comes in as advertised the team could afford to make three scoring lines by using Miller as the 3C.   There isn't any UFA this year worth the bother really, and this way the team could concentrate on adding a winger once the space clears up to create three scoring lines (add one plus Podz).    Maybe that's JB plan for next season and beyond. 

This is exactly the thinking I have been coming round to (as more and more of the potential UFA options sign elsewhere)...

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

There isn't much to actually do because next year isn't that vital either, it's the season after where it's vital and JB is preparing for it already but most are too stupid to figure that out..  the best we need out of the next 2 seasons is what it tells about our young players and if they will fit or not after getting a hard long look, then who to go after in a trade or who else to give a chance in our pool and then we're set and that's why JB said 2 years.. after that, it's the push.. LE's and Louie will be off the books and the mentors as well to leave it in the hands of Bo Petey etc to take the reigns but until then it's in limbo until these next 2 years are over and we see what's the best to put on the ice, but until then, some people really need to relax! lol (seriously!) 

I am a fan of Benning, though he has made some mistakes, but do you think he will last if next season is similar to this season?

he should just be honest and tell it straight to the fans beforehand IMO, NO FA SIGNING for a future lost season.

what about the draft? and will Benning splash again in the free-agency and ruin his own plan?

he will be honest about his plans? stay on the course? maybe tank a bit to better drafting?

who will be the coach?

Edited by BENN

19 hours ago, BENN said:

I am a fan of Benning, though he has made some mistakes, but do you think he will last if next season is similar to this season?

he should just be honest and tell it straight to the fans beforehand IMO, NO FA SIGNING for a future lost season.

what about the draft? and will Benning splash again in the free-agency and ruin his own plan?

he will be honest about his plans? stay on the course? maybe tank a bit to better drafting?

who will be the coach?

ok well let's break that down, first, Franco, like a lot of people are finally seeing a glimpse of what this team will be like in 2 years, and he doesn't have to do much at this point until Podz has arrived, watching how OJ works out, and how the mentors job has progressed enough that the reigns will be well handled by Bo and co. (our young guys) or be almost ready and still need a bit more time with veteran player's but in my mind, 2 years we will be close to that and depth will show where it's at as well so until then, it's a wait and see, no it could be easier but it's simply not but this is the first time in franchise history we're actually using the farm and not selling it... and people wonder why we've never had a cup, that's exactly the reason why... 

JB and TG have made some mistakes yes but the way JB has built the ship, a "good" coach will be able to take this team deep BUT do I know if TG will still be here? I'm guess yes until he gets handed a team in 2 years that will have enough firepower and a good defense with potentially a elite consistent goalie and if he blows it then, yes I'm sure he'll be out of here but until then, he'll be given a chance I think.

Yeah it's hard to be patient BUT it's also kind of fun watching a team with growing depth for once, so if we have a deep playoff run and get a cpl of injuries, depth could step in so we don't miss a beat.. meh people need to relax, this is like watching credits before a feature film, yeah the movie WILL start just a bit longer but worth the wait...

• Vintage 1