The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' AHL affiliate may move from Utica

Rate this topic

Would prefer them to either stay around where they are, means increased practice, less travel so more time spent on development. Or to Cali because while travel would still be an issue there are now more teams down there making travel less of an issue, potentially would argue for having a team in Illinois/Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana for similar reasons.

Move them to BC and then travel schedule is brutal and you lose time spend with the players on the ice for no real benefit.

I wouldn’t be against the ownership buying the giants,blazers,rockets,royals,silvertips with a view of young draft prospects playing there locally (but I’m not 100%sure on how the agreement work do they players get assigned or do they just play back in their drafted teams?)

From a player development perspective it makes sense to have them closer to VAN.  Much easier to utilize resources.  A lot easier for JB to watch games when it's not a flight across the country.

• Hydration 1

Vancouver,  Seattle, or Portland have No AHL affiliations, but would be prime for AHL hockey.

my guess is they stay in the East side states,

travel costs at a minimum.

Kelowna would be great, but travel expenses be monstrous.

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

From a player development perspective it makes sense to have them closer to VAN.  Much easier to utilize resources.  A lot easier for JB to watch games when it's not a flight across the country.

Not really, in this day and age cameras are everywhere so easily done remotely and JB probably isn’t checking up on every prospect in person, there is a team to do that. 

for development there was a reason the AHL had their plan to create and co locate teams to the pacific coast, it was to cut travel time and costs down and give the kids more time on the ice rather than on planes. 

reason why Utica works well as a development place is because most of their games are a short bus ride away, meaning off days can be used to practice and not just jump on a plane to the next city. 

if we want somewhere more local then California is the best option, unless you can persuade enough teams (us, Seattle,  oilers, flames) plus one other to up and move to the pacific north west and have teams in say Vancouver, Abbotsford, Portland, spokane, Everett, Victoria etc, but I cannot see that happening especially as that would just be moving the California teams north when they spent allot of time to get that to work 

7 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

As an islander i would love to be able to drive down to victoria to catch a game and still be able to make it home the same day, having to pay for a hotel on top of the ferry and bus is annoyong as hell

I think somewhere like Victoria would be really good. I also like the idea of having it somewhere in the interior but I don't see many teams too willing to travel far up north, especially if there's no other teams in the area. 

8 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

As an islander i would love to be able to drive down to victoria to catch a game and still be able to make it home the same day, having to pay for a hotel on top of the ferry and bus is annoyong as hell

Probably suck for the team's travel but I agree, it would be great for us island fans!

• Hydration 1

It would be great to have the farm team local, the Langey Events Centre, Abbotsford and Pacific Coliseum would be great venues.

If they want to join the AHL Pacific division maybe Reno would work. They were a finalist in Seattle's search before they landed on Palm Springs and there are direct flight to Vancouver. Sacramento could work as well.

Some have also suggested Fresno but I would not go there, to get there from Vancouver you have to take several flights.

Any location in BC will get the fans but if I recall, Calgary had to subsidize flights for other teams to come to Abbotsford.

Edited by GarthButcher5
41 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

It would be great to have the farm team local, the Langey Events Centre, Abbotsford and Pacific Coliseum would be great venues.

If they want to join the AHL Pacific division maybe Reno would work. They were a finalist in Seattle's search before they landed on Palm Springs and there are direct flight to Vancouver. Sacramento could work as well.

Some have also suggested Fresno but I would not go there, to get there from Vancouver you have to take several flights.

Any location in BC will get the fans but if I recall, Calgary had to subsidize flights for other teams to come to Abbotsford.

AHL has since banned subsidised travel.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

That was back when the entire AHL was in the east.  Now there is a Pacific Division.

I would rather Canucks AHL team stay in Utica for one following reason, travel and practice.   If they move to Pacific Division in AHL, they wouldn't get any benefits and actually suffers more with longer travel and fewer practice days. 

33 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I would rather Canucks AHL team stay in Utica for one following reason, travel and practice.   If they move to Pacific Division in AHL, they wouldn't get any benefits and actually suffers more with longer travel and fewer practice days. 

They also play less games in pacific to try and balance this out.

pacific isn’t bad especially as the more teams that move over that way the less of an impact the travel is.

sticking a team north of California though is just not worth it 

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

They also play less games in pacific to try and balance this out.

pacific isn’t bad especially as the more teams that move over that way the less of an impact the travel is.

sticking a team north of California though is just not worth it 

I wouldn't mind if they are divisional focused schedule rather than travel to Mid-West states and stay within their time zone as much as passible.  

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Vancouver,  Seattle, or Portland have No AHL affiliations, but would be prime for AHL hockey.

my guess is they stay in the East side states,

travel costs at a minimum.

Kelowna would be great, but travel expenses be monstrous.

Bruce Hamilton (rockets owner) would fight to stop Kelowna from getting a team, they are one of the most profitable whl teams and he wouldn’t want to fight for fans because the Canucks ahl team would outdraw the rockets. The rockets have a great fan base and have been a model organization for years 

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Why don’t they just share with their own arena?  Not like there’s any other teams playing there

Because as a developmental league an AHL team in Vancouver would spend more time travelling and get the least amount of practice time. For player development you want them on the ice as much as possible which is why Utica is a perfect spot for them 

• Like 1

I've noticed there's a big divergence in this thread between the fans who think: A. that the most important thing for our prospects is that they be located nearby so that we can maybe watch them live and they can get to Vancouver quickly if needed for a (home) game; and, B. that the most important consideration for our prospects is that they be located somewhere where they can spend minimal time travelling to their games and maximum time practicing and developing their skills.  Which kind of thinker are you, A or B?

Edited by Captain Canuck #12