The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

For those that missed it, Kevin Bieksa was on the Halford & Brough show this morning and gave a very compelling interview.  I highly recommend listening to the full thing: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/kevin-bieksa-edlers-major-media-covering-canucks-return-play/ 

Fast forward to 7:50 in...  

- Media in Vancouver is pretty entitled, in reference to not being allowed to look at two practices coming off Covid.  

- "If you're not gonna get it right, then don't report it" in reference to false reports about Quinn Hughes needing IVs. 

- Intent media coverage in Vancouver and Canadian markets is definitely a factor and hurts the team's performance.  When playing in Anaheim they would talk to reporters once in a blue moon and it was much easier to get out of slumps without being crucified in the media.  

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

- There were "bully" reporters that players had asked to not be allowed in the room as they would constantly create negative controversies and find one player and pick on them.  

Just a little food for thought because after spending 25 years of following the Canucks, it almost becomes normalized to constantly hear negative stories about our team.  I'll never forget watching the 2011 Finals and seeing our very own Vancouver media taking Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas and turning them into a circus.  

We're currently in the middle of the weirdest season in memory and Canucks have had the worst schedule out of all 31 NHL teams, but our media has again just been calling for heads to roll all year.  

Juice is my favorite all-time Canuck. 

He's always struck me as a super smart and compassionate guy with a giant personality.  With his hockey smarts and finance degree from Bowling Green University, I would suggest that Bieksa has a real shot at an executive role with an NHL franchise.  I'm hoping that would be with the Canucks. 

Maybe it's time to turn the keys of hockey ops over to Bieksa?  Bring in an experienced executive to backstop Juice for the next 2-3 years (would love to see Burkie back...maybe Dale Tallon?).  Bieksa could bring some of the band back together - Manny Malhotra (reputed to be a rising star on the coaching front), Hank and Danny and Lou and Schneider and Burr in some sort of front office/player development roles.

You think that would stoke some excitement among the Canucks faithful and outwit the dimwitted local media clowns?

• Like 4