The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Bullcrap!!!  

Elevating yourself to try to sound more convincing does the opposite. You are resorting to insulting the intelligence of anyone who has a differing opinion.

The funny thing is if you were as intelligent as you make yourself out to be, you would notice that people here are questioning the local sports media and are not just buying into their crap.

But seriously some opinions are wrong.

And I would insult the intelligence of the person or at least question it if they held a wrong opinion. There is a lot of stupid in the world

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Only way I find out about 99% of their idiocy is on CDC.

People re post their nonsense here and I'm dumbfounded people actually consume and agree with it :blink:

Fair. Tbh I'm only active here on game days now xD I have hockey media completely phased out of my life, even on Twitter,  i follow the team's account, and that's it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

You just exposed your lack of intelligent. You just spewed a media narrative.

in context, Luongo was asked by the media clowns about a specific save that thomas had made . He answered honestly and said that because he plays deeper in the net that he would have probably made the save whereas thomas was caught way out of his net. The media clowns twisted that into him claiming to be a better goalie than thomas. The next day he was addressing that misconception. He was basically saying that he had not said anything bad about thomas. He at no point said that thomas should pump his tires. That was another media fabrication.

That was while we were competing for the Cup. Show me another Canadian market where the media attacks their own players during a Cup run. They are not all the same and traveling and watching soccer games won't make them the same.

Luongo Pumping Tires Tweet [HD] - YouTube

I think most would call that fuel to the fire

Edited by Arrow 1983

13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

in context, Luongo was asked by the media clowns about a specific save that thomas had made . He answered honestly and said that because he plays deeper in the net that he would have probably made the save whereas thomas was caught way out of his net. The media clowns twisted that into him claiming to be a better goalie than thomas. The next day he was addressing that misconception. He was basically saying that he had not said anything bad about thomas. He at no point said that thomas should pump his tires. That was another media fabrication.

That was while we were competing for the Cup. Show me another Canadian market where the media attacks their own players during a Cup run. They are not all the same and traveling and watching soccer games won't make them the same.

lounges original comments that lead to Tire pumping comments

Luongo Pumping Tires Tweet [HD] - YouTube

51 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Just a couple things I picked up on

You are right real journalism should ask why. But it should stop there. When a the media gives their opinion instead of facts it is no longer news but entertainment.

About the Moral High Ground it is interesting the words you used Blindly trust or Hate Benning. Those are both Moral objectives. We would use blindly trust relating to God. Or The word Hate has truly a moral meaning. Why not instead say dislike Benning's moves or Like Benning's moves. 

You Say there is things to like about him truth is you do not know him. My guess is no one on this forum is close to him. You Know things he has done and only in term of for the Canucks organization  

I get what you are saying Arrow. I get your point, and hold no objection to it

I think on your first point. IMO, news and entertainment have blended together, and I am ok with that, if separated. I do think Media has a job to question. It pulls a reaction and debate amongst their readership/listeners/watchers..........it  "Can" hold ownership accountable, and be a voice for us fans. The question my point brings up with me, is where else could us fans, voice our opinion? At the gate, buying merchandize, maybe. Where as Media "Can" echo that narrative louder than we can. I think they should be able to do the same, as well. Sooooo, I just don't know the answer totally.......its a little of both, I guess?????

As for your comment on the words I used............I have 2 thoughts.............I guess first off, I ask, Did you understand me, despite my words? I think so! Secondly, could I have used different words........yes, and probably better words. But I am certainly not a wordsmith, so I ask for your indulgence. I say this with absolute truth. I was very bad in english, and had to take phonics when I was young, because I was so poor in spelling and writing sentences. Later, I then had a heart attack with associated stress condition, and really struggled with wording, which is why I joined CDC in the first place...........yes you all helped me very much. I work hard at wordsmithing now, and sometimes fail. LOL. Other times as you can guess, I talk too much! LOL

No, I do not know KB personally, but I do know hockey.........I have played, coached and know some pro's and have a pretty good understanding of the game and its business. So when i say I know him, or understand his frankness. I guess what I am saying is I understand him and like his frankness/bluntness and knowledge. I would also say, I like his delivery and humor. Sometimes cruel humor! Pretty funny to me!

i just try...............sometimes I win/sometimes I loose!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Honestly, a lot of the media guys -- especially the Thomas Drance types -- are all now trying to emulate the Jason Botchford model where they're being loud and passionate but they're doing it to disastrous results. I wasn't a big TSN 1040 fan but I was a Botchford fan because he seemed to care about the team like most fans do and as Botch used to say he was a "fan of the fans".

I did listen to the VanCast today with Thomas Drance and Jeff Paterson because I was curious about there take on the media thing. They basically tried to spin it off as the Canucks being super unprofessional, violating the CBA (which is true), and basically they talked about how they are worried that coming off Covid the Canucks will restrict reporters access to the Canucks as the team tries to clamp down on the narratives that come out of it.

They also talked a lot about the comments Bo Horvat made when Drance asked how management supported the players during the Covid battle and how Bo only thanked the fans and the players families and didn't say anything about management. I think they're hoping this is the storyline that finally sees Benning and Weisbrod get ousted as it's clear the narrative that's about to come out is how management has lost the room and must go. (In fairness, I'm not the biggest Benning fan and wouldn't be sad if he got fired at the end of the season and replaced by someone competent).

I do understand that those practices must have been hard and that keeping them private only really helped the players. I don't think any big storylines were going to come out about what went on and who was missing -- that information was revealed literally the day of yesterday's game.

It's a fine balancing act, though, so I see it from both sides but Bieksa was right and as someone who obviously dabbles in the media (though he's definitely a commentator) he also has a decade of experience as a Canuck and there were definitely times where the media here wanted to run him out of town during the Sedins era heyday for not being the best defenseman in the league. So I get it. Canucks media is too harsh and you can't deny that.

This is why I canceled my athletic subscription

signed up years ago for botch and kept it last year with drance but he is super negative and decided to cancel it midway through this season 

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get what you are saying Arrow. I get your point, and hold no objection to it

I think on your first point. IMO, news and entertainment have blended together, and I am ok with that, if separated. I do think Media has a job to question. It pulls a reaction and debate amongst their readership/listeners/watchers..........it  "Can" hold ownership accountable, and be a voice for us fans. The question my point brings up with me, is where else could us fans, voice our opinion? At the gate, buying merchandize, maybe. Where as Media "Can" echo that narrative louder than we can. I think they should be able to do the same, as well. Sooooo, I just don't know the answer totally.......its a little of both, I guess?????

As for your comment on the words I used............I have 2 thoughts.............I guess first off, I ask, Did you understand me, despite my words? I think so! Secondly, could I have used different words........yes, and probably better words. But I am certainly not a wordsmith, so I as for your indulgence. I say this with absolute truth. I was very bad in english, and had to take phonics when I was young, because I was so poor in spelling and writing sentences. I then had a heart attack with associated stress condition, and really struggled with wording, which is why I joined CDC in the first place...........yes you all helped me very much. I work hard at wordsmithing now, and sometimes fail. LOL. Other times as you can guess, I talk too much! LOL

No, I do not know KB personally, but I do know hockey.........I have played, coached and know some pro's and have a pretty good understanding of the game and its business. So when i say I know him, or understand his frankness. I guess what I am saying is I understand him and like his frankness/bluntness and knowledge. I would also say, I like his delivery and humor. Sometimes cruel humor! Pretty funny to me!

i just try...............sometimes I win/sometimes I loose!

Let me answer your question with a question

As a fan why do you think you deserve to voice an opinion, 

As a fan we only have to judge the on Ice product not how it got there or how much Eriksson is making. 

We judge to see if we want to watch. Or even buy a ticket.

What  is a fan?  A fan of sport is no more than a viewer of a product. Some thing we want to consume. with our time or money or both.

So I ask why do you deserve to voice your opinion on a salary cap you have no business with or Crapping on the players. A real fan cheers that is what a fan does. So what are we now. If we are not Fans? 

The worse thing that ever happen to Hockey was a salary cap. It was always there but when it was put into the CBA it turn good fans against the players 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

- Mentions being on a 10 game winning streak and coming home to read the news  "Steve Bernier hasn't scored in 15 games"

This is just the type of thing I see all the time. 

Even when things are going well there always seems to be a need to twist things and find a negative.

What also is bothering are the people that only seem to come outta the woodwork when there’s something negative to talk about. You won’t see this person after a Win. 

God bless Bieksa. Im so glad he’s one of the good guys. What a great personality for the sport but also with the right moral compass.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Is it the Media following the Fans opinion or the fan following the Media opinion.

Media gauges fan tolerance for negativity and injects as much as they can to make a sensational story without getting significant pushback. If they do, they ease it off. Finding the balance is often all part and parcel to the industry, I feel. Happens in most markets... but our media tends to be particularly obnoxious.

But it's the fans that set that tolerance level, and without it the media wouldn't have an audience.

So ultimately, they feed each other. Which tends to be how groups of like-minded negative people like it.

59 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Let me answer your question with a question

As a fan why do you think you deserve to voice an opinion,

Well the first thing comes to mind is we live in a country where I can voice an opinion on anything I want. It is not against the law. Secondly, the Canucks solicit my participation by these boards themselves. They design them, and they govern them by design. They also solicit my money, and for that, I get to voice my opinion. 

As a fan we only have to judge the on Ice product not how it got there or how much Eriksson is making. 

I the bigger picture, you are right! This is Aqualini's team, and he is the only one that matters. But ultimately the reason he has the team is to make money and lots of it.....some of it was mine. Again, please refer back to my first answer.....I have the right to voice my opinion in Canada.

We judge to see if we want to watch. Or even buy a ticket.

What  is a fan?  A fan of sport is no more than a viewer of a product. Some thing we want to consume. with our time or money or both.

I think many would think your explanation is simplistic........The Canucks want us to think we are more and be invested in the team..........they make more money this way

So I ask why do you deserve to voice your opinion on a salary cap you have no business with or Crapping on the players. A real fan cheers that is what a fan does. So what are we now. If we are not Fans?  If you think we are nuts, you should go to Europe or South America and watch a real football game, read a sports paper, or talk to a fan. Go to Montreal and watch a hockey game. Players have had death threats for own goals, ladies paint their faces......they eat/sleep/ and breath their sports

The word "FAN" derives from the word fanatic....basically a crazy person. But again look above for the reason.

The worse thing that ever happen to Hockey was a salary cap. It was always there but when it was put into the CBA it turn good fans against the players Is that an opinion?

What gives you the right to have that? LOL

OK.........lets first say I answer you in friendship...not to be rude

So I will answer you question in this manner

Edited by janisahockeynut

For a number of yrs now I've considered media(virtually all topics & forms) as something on par with the advertising industry. The agenda of a press writer, serving interests of him/herself or corporation that's behind that person.

I could live happily in a world with no advertising, & prob almost no media. They seem anachronisms that worked well in the 20th C, but cannot completely, smoothly transition to a 24/7, logged-in world.

^ I mention the above, as I'm sure as people in media are acutely aware. They often resort to controversial, sensationalist-rubbish, to lure in interest. Just as a product relies on some inane jingle/irritating ad, in order to keep some mundane, shyte product in yer noggin, whilst you shop.

Vote with yer feet.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

Well may be learn not to care too much about the media instead? If you play for a hockey crazed city in Vancouver, you are almost like a celebrity. Media will scout and report anything that catches the eyeballs. So how do celebrities deal with it? Dont give a care to it and just do your job. 

Instead of trying to change the media, which is probably impossible. 

7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Fair. Tbh I'm only active here on game days now xD I have hockey media completely phased out of my life, even on Twitter,  i follow the team's account, and that's it

This is the way. 

I try to avoid the trolls as much as possible but I get baited every now and then whether it's on here or my own friends pushing my buttons lol 

Life so short to listen to what trolls like dreger have to say. 

Darren Dreger / Damian and co should stick to spreading news in North Korea. Propaganda is their speciality. 

Stay positive. Stay happy. Be kind, spread love Canucks nation. 

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

That was the dumbest comment an athlete has ever made during a championship series and should be taught to kids on what not to say.  Lu got rightfully ripped for it and promptly exposed shortly after.  I still remember where I was in my truck when I heard that.  Calling out someone's intelligence over this just shows how toxic your narrative is.

7 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

it was the same thing about louie making a statement to the swedish press, that was blown out of context. of course the fans made it their rallying cry.

11 hours ago, smokes said:

I blame the media for the Canucks losing the SCF against Boston. Too much negative coverage.

Well....at least that's better than blaming it on the refs, (can't believe people still do that) but IMHO, it was a combination of too many top players playing injured (or in the case of Hamhuis, not playing at all) and Tim Thomas' .967 save percentage.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly!  You can see that reflected even amongst our fans.  I'm not talking about the ones that are on team tank, I'm talking about the ones that want us to lose so that their narrative of Fire Benning or Fire Green feels justified/vindicated.  

This is a recurring theme...

Back in '09, the Canucks were on a 9 game home losing streak and Canuck fans (and media) were calling (loudly) for Alain Vigneault to be fired.....

When Alex Burrows scored with just over a minute left to beat the 'Canes and end the losing streak, there were actually Canuck fans upset, because they thought it might save AV's job...<_<

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is a recurring theme...

Back in '09, the Canucks were on a 9 game home losing streak and Canuck fans (and media) were calling (loudly) for Alain Vigneault to be fired.....

When Alex Burrows scored with just over a minute left to beat the 'Canes and end the losing streak, there were actually Canuck fans upset, because they thought it might save AV's job...<_<

It goes both ways on here. Take the Gaudette/Highmore trade as an example and watch what happens in the next while. Every time that Gaudette scores or has a good game there will be a group of JB haters who will gleefully report it here to push the “DimJim” narrative. There will be just as many JB supporters who will actively root for Gaudette’s to b a complete bust as if to prove that JB is a genius.

• Vintage 1