The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa Speaks

Rate this topic

Happens in all the Canadian markets, just comes with the market, imagine what the media is like down in Arizona. You want to play in a great hockey city then this is the by-product of it because these headlines sell/are clickbait. Sadly people don't want to read about the good-times as much as the behind-the-door gossip.

I wonder if in the smaller markets, the media's purpose is to hype the teams up more, so have more positive headlines to try and sell the hockey to people? Of course in Canadian markets you don't need to sell the sport, but rather sell your paper/article which is why there's much more negative news published, but who knows what it's like down south...

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly!  You can see that reflected even amongst our fans.  I'm not talking about the ones that are on team tank, I'm talking about the ones that want us to lose so that their narrative of Fire Benning or Fire Green feels justified/vindicated.  

This. It is true among some fans and almost all media. They hope for players' failure so that it confirms their earlier perspective. Cheering for people to fail is such an awful way to live. If you're truly talented, you can be successful regardless of how others perform. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

It is not me putting myself above you or anyone else. It is my experience some one who has had the great fortune to be enlightened to correct where you are wrong.

Sorry I had to.

But seriously we are not that special that we get to be so different. If you really believe we are you have been living in a Covid Bubble to long.

Sorry again I had to.

At no point did I ever say everyone was buying the narrative.

It would not work if every one was negative who would they argue with.

The  fact that you did not figure out that point makes me happy that I with my great intellect was here to correct you

Sorry again i had to do it 

Man, you sound like someone who just took a second year philosophy course during a semester abroad and now you know everything about the world and act like you have some sort of special knowledge. It is tiresome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mordekai said:

This is why I canceled my athletic subscription

signed up years ago for botch and kept it last year with drance but he is super negative and decided to cancel it midway through this season 

Drance tries to act like Botch but has half the charisma and no finger on the pulse of the fanbase the way Botch did (at least among his followers). I find Drance to be especially mean-spirited and it really comes across in the Vancast. Like he'll talk about players who are not playing well (Fine) but then openly mock them and smugly laugh about it. Then he'll act like he's the pinnacle of professionalism. He actually made me appreciate Paterson. 

Simple solution, don't allow access from the media to the player for a whole season in the dressing room and only allow reporters on the road to conduct an interview and that's it.  Keep them away from the spotlight as much as possible while at home, to allow for breathing room.  Pre-game interview for a broadcast is ok but no post-game interview where everything is under microscope.   That's my solution.  It should be the same for every team, they should have the right to ban any media reporter in the dressing room at any time.

This thread was a hilarious read.  'I blame the media for losing in 2011, Drance is too negative.'

The media gives us insight that helps us stay informed and wait for it..... care about this team.  Look how many people read the GDT that's littered with tweets from people that become our eyes when we are not around.  I enjoy the hard work people like Drance and Patterson provide us and I am in 100% agreement that closed practices is a bad idea especially from this team that's becoming more dysfunctional by the day.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Drance tries to act like Botch but has half the charisma and no finger on the pulse of the fanbase the way Botch did (at least among his followers). I find Drance to be especially mean-spirited and it really comes across in the Vancast. Like he'll talk about players who are not playing well (Fine) but then openly mock them and smugly laugh about it. Then he'll act like he's the pinnacle of professionalism. He actually made me appreciate Paterson. 

I don't like JPat stuff as well but at least he isn't ALWAYS blatantly writing negative stories like Drance. 
Not sure if you saw the tweet but Drance said Demko is now 13th highest paid goalie in the league but has to play elite level to justify the contract. Talk about contradiction in a statement... and then last game Drance 'insinuated' that Covid caused the canucks to play dangerously... (edler's knee)

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

This thread was a hilarious read.  'I blame the media for losing in 2011, Drance is too negative.'

The media gives us insight that helps us stay informed and wait for it..... care about this team.  Look how many people read the GDT that's littered with tweets from people that become our eyes when we are not around.  I enjoy the hard work people like Drance and Patterson provide us and I am in 100% agreement that closed practices is a bad idea especially from this team that's becoming more dysfunctional by the day.

Media didn't have a huge part to play in 2011, but it had a part. I've never seen a team so vilified in the finals before. Even before we started round 1 there were already 'Canucks are not Canada's team' articles out.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

My issue with Drance is not that he is negative. My issue is the way he delivers negative content. He makes the story about himself and openly laughs at/mocks players. There is a difference between presenting a story that happens to be negative (no problem with that) and using the story to build your own narrative/media persona. 

Edited by Down by the River

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Have to take issue with this. Everyone may be entitled to their opinion, but that does not make all opinions of equal value.

An informed opinion will always be 'worth' more than an uninformed opinion.

And on topic, fans would do well to remember to ingest their media with a heavy dose of skepticism and very much viewed through the lens of people who are desperately promoting any sort of controversy, drama, melodrama, hyperbole etc in a bid to stay relevant and get a pay cheque. The days of news of any sort simply being informative are sadly, long gone. They've been replaced by news as entertainment. If you fail to account for that, your being dooped.

I agree with you...but! LOL always a but!

Seriously, Unless there is a varifiable statement (like Quinn Hughes saying he was not on an IV right on the TV) then alot of what you are saying comes from unverified sources.

But when Bob McKenzie says something, I tend to believe what he says, When KB says something I tend to believe what he says, but usually, I tend to find another source to varify what has been said. 

Just remember, hear say evidence can be admissible in a court of law. Trends can be admisable, etc..........It all depends on the issue and the presentation. The judge, who is deemed wise, is the sole decision maker. But even that is not enough.

My point is people have to be able to decide for themselves, as most can. Not all things are cut and dry, and just because I say it is so, does not mean it is.......that goes for every body.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Have to take issue with this. Everyone may be entitled to their opinion, but that does not make all opinions of equal value.

An informed opinion will always be 'worth' more than an uninformed opinion.

And on topic, fans would do well to remember to ingest their media with a heavy dose of skepticism and very much viewed through the lens of people who are desperately promoting any sort of controversy, drama, melodrama, hyperbole etc in a bid to stay relevant and get a pay cheque. The days of news of any sort simply being informative are sadly, long gone. They've been replaced by news as entertainment. If you fail to account for that, your being dooped.

I agree and disagree with you

An informed opinion is something you can gather creditable facts for. 

Hockey is a subjective opinion. 

I also would point out is how one would weigh an opinion. The Media get their opinion weighed greater because they do get paid to follow the Canucks unlike most fans. When Bieska says something it is weighed even more because he played the Game. Yet this is not a great why to decide who's opinion counts more, Because we don't know these people. Bieska could be dumb as Sh*t we really don't know. 

Note I like Bieska it was just an example

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Man, you sound like someone who just took a second year philosophy course during a semester abroad and now you know everything about the world and act like you have some sort of special knowledge. It is tiresome. 

Haha 

funny you say that I did take Philosophy is school

I am a contract lawyer but my concertation was in constitutional law

But I never got to study over seas I went to the US

It is not special knowledge to call people or fans pretty much similar, My point was we are not special

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Anything   I just like the guy    but preferably would like him around the players 

I agree. I was just making fun of how well he handles media stupidity, so that role would fit him well.

Well, the "Media" write what attracts viewers.

So if you guys all sulk and read everything that is negative you get more negativity. 

If you only read what us positive the journalists have to write all happy. 

The readers rule, like it or not. 

20 hours ago, Down by the River said:

My issue with Drance is not that he is negative. My issue is the way he delivers negative content. He makes the story about himself and openly laughs at/mocks players. There is a difference between presenting a story that happens to be negative (no problem with that) and using the story to build your own narrative/media persona. 

I don't see or hear that at all, the Vancast is the other non radio medium i listen to regarding the Canucks - if Drance was like you described I wouldn't bother listening.  It's obvious he has the respect of most of the Canucks otherwise why would they bother responding to his texts?  He didn't cross the line with regards to violating medical privacy which is what Juice was referring to.  

People need to understand media and the fans are very similar.  Both involve a large concentration of people but they don't speak for the rest of the group.  If you don't like the reporting or content then don't consume it but to paint every person in the media with the same brush is foolish.

I've listened to Drance's argument.

I'm with him as far as protecting transparency in the long run, coming out of the Covid/zoom times. The media is right to be worried about what its going to be like in the after-times. However for this brief period of time, they are off base.

They missed what; 1 practice? For players the media in this market can be just another headache. And seeing what they've gone through, I think its understandable they'd want to remove any more potential headaches. Especially after the false IV report, and the rumblings that some players felt the media overblew the whole situation.

Regarding his "its not the spirt of the market" spiel, and grasping at the Sedins to somehow bolster his argument... again its just a temporary thing. Nothing in society right now is in the 'spirit' of normalcy, why should hockey be any different (after that bad an outbreak)? Hockey media aren't an essential service.

Its also kind of ironic to me the progressive media - who were critical/skeptical of the NHL returning during COVID originally, and some who said the Canucks shouldn't even play - were now fighting back against additional measures relating to the outbreak. 

Only way its justified is if you think the Canucks are so dishonest & authoritarian towards the players that they forcing them against their will to continue.

I also got a laugh at the idea they played some crucial role in 'amplifying' JT Millers voice, as if his words didn't carry the weight by themselves. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't see or hear that at all, the Vancast is the other non radio medium i listen to regarding the Canucks - if Drance was like you described I wouldn't bother listening.  It's obvious he has the respect of most of the Canucks otherwise why would they bother responding to his texts?  He didn't cross the line with regards to violating medical privacy which is what Juice was referring to.  

People need to understand media and the fans are very similar.  Both involve a large concentration of people but they don't speak for the rest of the group.  If you don't like the reporting or content then don't consume it but to paint every person in the media with the same brush is foolish.

Drance would probably feel insulted to be called very similar to the fans. Afterall hes very protective of his status/credibility.

Edited by Smashian Kassian