The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 20, 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

To me, he might be the closest thing weve had to Burrows.  In terms of character at least.  He doesnt complain, works his tail off every shift, does everything thats asked for him, and plays for his teammates.

And another one coming down the pipeline in Arvid Costmar

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To show how far this team has improved on drafting.

There's an outside chance that Hoglander will get as many points this season, then Jordan Schroeder did in his entire career. 

I don’t just think it’s drafting a thing part of it also comes from the farm setup. Moving to Utica I think has payed off as the focus and location makes it better for player development especially with practice time and time in ice. With then focus being on development rather than what’s most suitable for calling up players it means that the players have had more time, more coaching and a better focus than they have at any point in the Canucks history 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Googlie said:

And another one coming down the pipeline in Arvid Costmar

I don’t see Costmar making it. I would be happy to be wrong. He’s a great player but I just don’t think he has what it takes to make it to the big show. I think if he plays in the A that will be success for him. 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

I don’t see Costmar making it. I would be happy to be wrong. He’s a great player but I just don’t think he has what it takes to make it to the big show. I think if he plays in the A that will be success for him. 

That was probably the generally accepted opinion before the last U20s. He got on the Swedish team cos they were covid-ravaged at center. Started the tournament as their 4th line center, but by tourney's end he was centering their 1st line, 1st unit PP, and 1st over the boards on the PK.  His injury cost him this season, but I see a player driven to succeed.  He may not be a Burrows, but a Ruutu or a Granlund type would be just fine for a bottom 6 player

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Googlie said:

That was probably the generally accepted opinion before the last U20s. He got on the Swedish team cos they were covid-ravaged at center. Started the tournament as their 4th line center, but by tourney's end he was centering their 1st line, 1st unit PP, and 1st over the boards on the PK.  His injury cost him this season, but I see a player driven to succeed.  He may not be a Burrows, but a Ruutu or a Granlund type would be just fine for a bottom 6 player

A team built of Burrows would be amazing. And maybe drive Ron McLean to retire finally. 

• Haha 2
  • Burr 1
30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hoglander is a guy who's my size. And has a motor that just doesn't quit. A bad shift for him is a bigger player knocks him off the puck on the attack. But he will work like hell to get the puck back. That kind of work ethic, and drive is just a beautiful thing to watch. I was worried for a bit because you saw the skill is there, the determination was there. The puck luck wasn't. Now the pucks are going in for him. I hope he never loses that fire and drive. I want to see him have a long career here with Vancouver. What I love about him as well is he's fearless. He just goes into high traffic areas, or drive to the net. You can have 3 6'6" monsters in front of him. He will deke, pass, or go through you regardless. All this and he has the typical swede humbleness. I can understand why he's one of the popular Canucks. He should be. Long live Nils! Petey we miss you, recover to 100% and kick ass. 

Evidently, Hoglander is Swedish for Gallagher ;)

• Burr 1
45 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, I remember someone in PGT asking for Jake to give the Flamingo Kid a good belt.  So nice to see it come to be, and Jake seemed to enjoy doing it.  Sure be nice to see that more often from him.

I missed it, did Jake run him over??

• Hydration 1

If only a certain local hockey player could play at 1/2 the intensity and work ethic that Hoglander and Highmore play at. He'd easily get 50 points in a full season. 

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Well the team played well these last 2 games

It reminds me of what my dad use to say

"Adversity builds Character"

With basically the whole team having Covid

These guys are playing for each other

Making sure the guy that is still not fully healed gets support on the ice.

There truly is no "I" in team!

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Can't stop the 420 around here.  Tryamkin's gonna have to get over it.

Imagine going to Russia and being offended by vodka.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think we just got a little spoiled with Boeser, Petersson and Hughes.  He won't be top 3 in Calder voting but he is probably the 4th best u20 rookie we've had in the last 20 years.  Petersson, Hughes, and Horvat would be the only ones above him?  Unless I am missing someone?

Not yet, but I have a feeling you will be adding Rathbone and Podkolzin to that list as well

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Got 'im with his big ass, crunched Wee Willy a little bit.

Jake is such a Jekyll and Hyde. I really want him to do well. But when you only put in the effort on at best, half your games. He seems to be the definition of "If only...". 

Maybe hanging around Hoglander and Highmore can spur him on. Poor guy has all the tools, but not the smarts to use the toolbox or pack the toolbox with him.

1 hour ago, Dirtman said:

No, I don't think it will either. those guys play hard every night,  think they're going to be really good in a couple of years if they keep on the path they're on.

Batherson is one of my favourite players. Stutzle is a stud too. And Tkatchuk is...well..he's better than his brother.

5 or 6 points gets us back into the mix.  If we get 3 wins in 4 games, I'd be beyond stoked.  Winning both against TO give us a little room for error against Ott.

Some one mentioned earlier that Hughes looked quicker, more fluid, and thought it could be because he lost some weight..........

It makes me wonder if the same thing could have happened to Holtby?

I was excited to see what that bottom six could do last night, and was pretty impressed.  Having a fast tenacious bottom 6 will do wonders for this team.  We need to re sign Hamonic.  

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1