The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 20, 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know Juolevi is playing sheltered minutes, but he does alot of simple things well.

I can not recall him really getting in trouble defensively, and makes some really nice outlet passes

Alot of time, rookies try to do too much, and get into trouble, Juolevi does not seem to put himself into that position

I really like his game

I really like his play, one thing I’ve noticed is he will sometimes chase guys behind the net when moving across the front is more advisable but that is just nit picking

My expectations is Edler replace OJ though until we are clearly out.  Also see them looking at Bowey as well but Chatter has played well enough to stay for now

I think Toronto still has some of their deadline acquisitions in quarantine until their next game. I think they'll be better when they get more time together. Foligno will make them tougher to play against, and adds a bit of depth. Their goaltending is suspect at best, but we've seen how quickly that can change. I'm not saying Toronto is good enough to win the cup, but they will be better in a few games, and I don't look forward to playing them again. Not saying we can't beat them, but it won't be easy. 

Does Rathbone play tomorrow or the next game? 

I thought the season was over....LOL.

Did I ever nail that one.

Anyhow - people can talk about the Leafs 'deserving' to win the first game - but the other reality to that game - they were gifted a phantom powerplay on a ludicrous call on Miller - which lead to the Edler 2 minute pk shift and eventual penalty - they scored on the 5 minute powerplay - otherwise they are lucky to come away with a point in the first game.

And you'd think an inevitable Stanley Cup Champion would come back with a vengeance after that first loss - but instead they get spanked late in a game in which they held a 3-2 lead - and it can't all be hung on goaltending - they were casual on the Hoglander transition (tying) goal, and asleep on Pearson on the gwg.  The last one where Rittitich whiffed, was just icing.

Looks like classic Leafs to me - cannot defend - cannot defend the hard areas - cannot hold onto a lead under pressure -flag down the stretch as the season progresses - aren't really built for playoff hockey...

I think their deadline acquisitions might help in those respects - but they shouldn't need to depend on tdl acquisitions to light a fire under them.

If they hope to advance in the playoffs they are going to have to break the mold.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I thought the season was over....LOL.

Did I ever nail that one.

Anyhow - people can talk about the Leafs 'deserving' to win the first game - but the other reality to that game - they were gifted a phantom powerplay on a ludicrous call on Miller - which lead to the Edler 2 minute pk shift and eventual penalty - they scored on the 5 minute powerplay - otherwise they are lucky to come away with a point in the first game.

And you'd think an inevitable Stanley Cup Champion would come back with a vengeance after that first loss - but instead they get spanked late in a game in which they held a 3-2 lead - and it can't all be hung on goaltending - they were casual on the Hoglander transition (tying) goal, and asleep on Pearson on the gwg.  The last one where Rittitich whiffed, was just icing.

Looks like classic Leafs to me - cannot defend - cannot defend the hard areas - cannot hold onto a lead under pressure -flag down the stretch as the season progresses - aren't really built for playoff hockey...

I think their deadline acquisitions might help in those respects - but they shouldn't need to depend on tdl acquisitions to light a fire under them.

If they hope to advance in the playoffs they are going to have to break the mold.

I've never figured that out. The Leafs think they can be like the Penguins and get substandard defending, and rely on goaltending to bail them out?

How about building from the net out? They've got good pieces that could get them 1-2 really good defensemen plus draft picks. 

But nope, they figure they can do everything with 4 forwards. 

29 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I was excited to see what that bottom six could do last night, and was pretty impressed.  Having a fast tenacious bottom 6 will do wonders for this team.  We need to re sign Hamonic.  

Hamonic has played great. Our bottom 6 is nice and with Motte coming back soon, it will be pretty great. Motte, Boyd, Highmore, Sutter, Hawerlyuk and virtanen is faster group. I wonder if we could recall Gadjovich or Lockwood to provide more depth.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know Juolevi is playing sheltered minutes, but he does alot of simple things well.

I can not recall him really getting in trouble defensively, and makes some really nice outlet passes

Alot of time, rookies try to do too much, and get into trouble, Juolevi does not seem to put himself into that position

I really like his game

The first time i noticed him making the wrong play was last night.   Absolutely forgivable.   All our guys do that on occasion and some more then others.   Have enjoyed watching him every single game. 

• Cheers 4

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Have to give credit to Horvat for having the presence of mind to avoid colliding with Bogosian after the defenseman hit the boards. And for calling the refs over. Horvat is a great ambassador for the game. The Canucks are lucky to have him leading this team.

I noticed that too.   Could have creamed him really but didn't and held back. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The first time i noticed him making the wrong play was last night.   Absolutely forgivable.   All our guys do that on occasion and some more then others.   Have enjoyed watching him every single game. 

And he's a rookie that hasn't been used much.  As you said, even vets make mistakes.  Let the kid play!  He'll learn from actually being on the ice.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To add to your point (I like OJ's game a lot as well) - but further, Juolevi is not playing 'sheltered' minutes.

Last night he played 14:50

16.7% ozone starts

And he played primarily with Chatfileld (as far as I could gleen).

None of that indicates "sheltered".

Not the high relative defensive zone starts (5/1).

Not playing with a veteran - but another rookie.

Sheltered means insulated by veterans in 'easier' mnutes that are tailored not to expose him.  It's not really possible to 'shelter' him under the circumstances, but even earlier in the season when the team was relatively healthy, Juolevi was not getting what is typically referred to as 'sheltered' minutes (he's well under 50% ozone starts for the season - and has been getting a couple penalty kill shifts a game...)

Juolevi is at 44.9% ozone starts for the season.

Absolutely. 

Juolevi looks very poised and is the vet presence on the rookie pairing with Chatfield. 

Chatfield got a lot of love this game but I felt like he mixed up Juolevi on a few plays. There was a play when Juolevi reversed the puck in his own zone but Chatfield was way out of position and nowhere near where he should be which led to a turnover and had them scrambling in their own zone. Those plays should be second nature to NHL level dmen. Chatfield's redeeming quality is that, once a mistake is made, he is quick on his skate and reaction to break up a play or at least get in the way. 

I remember when playing football, my coach would say, if you lost your assignment, just hit someone instead of standing around and I feel like Chatfield does that. 

I'm excited to see a defensive 6 of

Edler Schmidt Hughes Myers Hamonic Juolevi 

That's a pretty solid group. 

• Cheers 2

They have the skill, they have the heart, good goaltending, they have good serviceable young depth (they've needed it with half the lineup out) - but will they have the energy?

Really hard to imagine the group sustaining enough energy over 31 days of (more) brutal schedule - but you never know. 

Kudos to them whatever happens.

But those four consecutive victories over the Leafs (in an otherwise trying season) have been too sweet. 

Leafs were first month champions once again, but not a lot of Leaf fluffing around here in the present...

All teams go through rough patches, but the Leafs look like a team that lacks the critical ability of being hard to play against when it matters....(can a Foligno make the difference?)  I'm not going to write them off quite yet, but if that's the kind of effort they bring and hope to advance in the playoffs - good luck with that.