The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 20, 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

It's gonna be interesting to see how Bowey stacks up against Chatfield on the depth chart.  Both young RD who can skate and have some offensive flair, but Bowey has a size advantage.  I suspect it comes down to who is least prone to mistakes and can execute the system best.  But if either of these guys play with Juolevi or Edler, they may get the green light (no pun intended) to join the rush a bit. 

Juolevi the next Edler? (except Olli is a better skater IMO)  Future is bright for this kid, so smart and poised. He can also lay out a surprising big hit at times. And I really like how he just flicks those wristers at the net, great for deflections and tip-ins. No panic.

Too bad we couldn't still make trades, could probably get TOR to pay a King's ransom for Holtby right about now. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Absolutely. 

Juolevi looks very poised and is the vet presence on the rookie pairing with Chatfield. 

Chatfield got a lot of love this game but I felt like he mixed up Juolevi on a few plays. There was a play when Juolevi reversed the puck in his own zone but Chatfield was way out of position and nowhere near where he should be which led to a turnover and had them scrambling in their own zone. Those plays should be second nature to NHL level dmen. Chatfield's redeeming quality is that, once a mistake is made, he is quick on his skate and reaction to break up a play or at least get in the way. 

I remember when playing football, my coach would say, if you lost your assignment, just hit someone instead of standing around and I feel like Chatfield does that. 

I'm excited to see a defensive 6 of

Edler Schmidt Hughes Myers Hamonic Juolevi 

That's a pretty solid group. 

Yes - last night was probably the first time I saw Chatfield look like a rookie in moments - but  to be fair, he was facing some challenging matchups, with a fellow rookie D - and they made up in second effort what they may have given up in nerves.  Love Chatfield - he gets to the heart of the play - and keeps his feet moving all the time (some great transition defending last night).  Those two gave up a few flurries of chances, but overall held their own quite well imo.  OJ imo is definitely top 4 material and the more I see of Chatfield the more I believe he has a really good opportunity to stick in the NHL (his first training camp I thought he looked like an eventual NHL D - and he's done nothing but continue to work hard).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi the next Edler? (except Olli is a better skater IMO)  Future is bright for this kid, so smart and poised. He can also lay out a surprising big hit at times. And I really like how he just flicks those wristers at the net, great for deflections and tip-ins. No panic.

Too bad we couldn't still make trades, could probably get TOR to pay a King's ransom for Holtby right about now. 

Yeah, he definitely gets shots through, which is an underrated skill. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

The early 90's had a great mix of talent from the 80's still, and a massive insertion of talent that would go on and play through much of the 2000's..Sakic, Sundin, Modano, Zubov, Forsberg, Bure, Selanne, Kariya...WG, Mario, Yzerman, and yes even Messier who was at the peak of his powers right until we signed him lol...Al Mac, Chelios, Leetch, Gartner, Gilmore, Fleury, Neely, Joe New, Lidstrom, Murphy,Borque, Pronger, Coffey, Blake, Francis, Recchi, i could carry on with a wall of text really. To me it was some of the best hockey ever played.   Pre-cap so teams could load up.. IMO the most talent the league has ever had all at once.   21 Teams.   Minimal dilution and every team had at least one enforcer on it, although goons like Parker and Twist were finding their way into the league.   Look at the size of our players from 89-95.   Compare the rosters to today or 2011 even.    It was a bigger, more talented time.    A lot of the speed we see now is because of no redline, but speed also existed in spades back then too.   As did power forwards like Stevens, Neely, Leclair, Lindros, Clark, Shanny, Little ball of Hate etc etc etc. 

Dead puck, hooking holding interference, garbage era, is what I mean. Not the players, the bull$&!# league itself.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure why, but I get an Ohlund vibe watching him play.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Liked the overall pace of play of the team last night.  Forecheck looked aggressive and tactical.  

Hopefully after some practice time the team really starts to find their mojo.  New guys/rookies are all playing well given the circumstances.  Lots of on the job learning which is easier said than done.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Always on the net, no big wind up, always on the net.

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Liked the overall pace of play of the team last night.  Forecheck looked aggressive and tactical.  

Hopefully after some practice time the team really starts to find their mojo.  New guys/rookies are all playing well given the circumstances.  Lots of on the job learning which is easier said than done.

Finally more speed in the bottom six. Been complaining about this for awhile now. Speed with size for a forchek is best but speed alone is second best. I loved the pressure on the dmen with the forechek and it helps so much against a great possesion-transition team like the Leafs.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, he definitely gets shots through, which is an underrated skill. 

The Miller tip chance early was a prime example of that.

I’ve also noted that he has a deceptive poke check and holds both blue lines really well.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Finally more speed in the bottom six. Been complaining about this for awhile now. Speed with size for a forchek is best but speed alone is second best. I loved the pressure on the dmen with the forechek and it helps so much against a great possesion-transition team like the Leafs.

This is similar to Mtl giving us fits with their forecheck. 

Teams that work as a 5 man unit and pressure the opposing team in sync is a tough team to play against. 

Glad to see us going in with speed. 

• Cheers 2