The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 22, 7 p.m. | SNP, RDS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I always thought the mid 2000s group was decent.

Bieksa, Bourdon, Edler, Ohlund and Cooke (end of careers), Hansen, Kesler, Raymond, Sedin, Sedin (also out of window), Grabner, Rypien, Schneider.

Decent.

Decent for sure ... that's an awfully long period of drafting though.   11 years and three GMs plus Keenan.  

Check this bunch of beauties out ... four years of Milford drafting, 10,000plus NHL games, 6 of 9 played in the NHL from 1981 alone ...

78 Bill Derlargo  

Curt Fraser 

Stan Smyl

79  Rick Vaive

Bill Ashton

Dirk Graham

80 Rick Lanz

Doug Lidster

Patrick Sundstrom

81 Garth Butcher 

Peter Skriko

Thats 1/2 a solid defense drafted right there, a multiple 50 goal scorer in Vaive, and two other highly skilled forwards in the Streak and Sundstrom, one of best captains we've ever had in Smyl, some of the best support players ever in Fraser and i left out the AG/McaAn types.    Think taking four of JBs best drafts could one day surpass this, but we won't know for another decade at least. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Decent for sure ... that's an awfully long period of drafting though.   11 years and three GMs plus Keenan.  

Check this bunch of beauties out ... four years of Milford drafting, 10,000plus NHL games, 6 of 9 played in the NHL from 1981 alone ...

78 Bill Derlargo  

Curt Fraser 

Stan Smyl

79  Rick Vaive

Bill Ashton

Dirk Graham

80 Rick Lanz

Doug Lidster

Patrick Sundstrom

81 Garth Butcher 

Peter Skriko

Thats 1/2 a solid defense drafted right there, a multiple 50 goal scorer in Vaive, and two other highly skilled forwards in the Streak and Sundstrom, one of best captains we've ever had in Smyl, some of the best support players ever in Fraser and i left out the AG/McaAn types.    Think taking four of JBs best drafts could one day surpass this, but we won't know for another decade at least. 

Milford also traded a 2nd round pick for a 22 year old Thomas Gradin.  I mean forget what Gradin did for the Canucks on the ice.  As a scout, he helped in the drafting of the Sedins, Edler & I think Ohlund.  Burke will tell you it was Gradin that convinced him to go 'all in' for the Sedins.  Jeebus, Gradin's mother babysat Naslund as a child lol!  (true story!)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Listening to SN650 (Rintoul), and they're talking about a possible trade (idea anyway):

to BUF - Tkachuk, Valimaki and a 1st

to CGY - Eichel

Very interesting,

I would think Ottawa would want to make an offer if Tkatpuke is on the table. But I hope Calgary keeps him, imo he's at the heart of their lousy team culture. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Listening to SN650 (Rintoul), and they're talking about a possible trade (idea anyway):

to BUF - Tkachuk, Valimaki and a 1st

to CGY - Eichel

Very interesting,

Buffalo has stated they want 4 "First round caliber" picks/players. 

Unless Calgary adds, I think other teams like LA can offer better deals.