The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 22, 7 p.m. | SNP, RDS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

as frustrating as games like this are that expose our subpar special teams, they may just be a blessing in disguise 

I really don't want to see the same assistant coaches next year - if we squeak in to the playoffs, they might be back as our special teams may be seen as good enough whereas I think we are criminally under performing in this department when looking across the year (sure we had a good stretch but not enough to give me confidence moving into next season)

I honestly think the biggest off season improvement would be special team coaches.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They weren't even sure....that's the mind boggling part.  Scoresheet (I believe) and the NHL tracker both had game misconduct. 

I don’t know if Travis Green’s grandma is living but if she is we need our own version of Kyle Dubas’  nonna. She’s a pistol.

2556500D-7E83-4C57-8B52-8F68765E4D20.jpeg

9940CF8D-E981-4880-A754-448EC4D7B47A.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

as frustrating as games like this are that expose our subpar special teams, they may just be a blessing in disguise 

I really don't want to see the same assistant coaches next year - if we squeak in to the playoffs, they might be back as our special teams may be seen as good enough whereas I think we are criminally under performing in this department when looking across the year (sure we had a good stretch but not enough to give me confidence moving into next season)

I honestly think the biggest off season improvement would be special team coaches.

Agreed. Baumgartner and Brown need to be replaced. The failure for the powerplay to be factor this year is a glaring issue, as is the porous defense. The roster is more than capable of rising to the challenge, but are seemingly suffering under some subpar systems. If both assistant coaches are re-signed, that's a really bad sign. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I thought the Covid "lag" kind of kicked in yesterday. The team looked tired and at times, disinterested. Lot's of lazy, low percentage pass attempts, rather than the drive they showed against the Leafs.

I know it's not popular to praise Virtanen, but I thought he was the most engaged forward last night. (I wish he'd play with that physical edge every night) Hamonic looked the most engaged defender and that's even without stepping up to fight Tkachuk....

Most disengaged was butt head reff with the instigator and 10 minute misconduct on Hamonic. A terrible call for so many reasons. I know some may say get over it but to be honest it ruined my evening, ruined the game for me. Even went to bed pissed off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Baumgartner and Brown need to be replaced. The failure for the powerplay to be factor this year is a glaring issue, as is the porous defense. The roster is more than capable of rising to the challenge, but are seemingly suffering under some subpar systems. If both assistant coaches are re-signed, that's a really bad sign. 

Not sure a different assistant coach will change that much.  Special teams for sure there would be improvement (I mean, how could it get worse?).  But the blueline is, what it is.  Minus Edler makes it even less impressive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not sure a different assistant coach will change that much.  Special teams for sure there would be improvement (I mean, how could it get worse?).  But the blueline is, what it is.  Minus Edler makes it even less impressive.

The blueline needs a massive over haul...starting with Baumer he needs to go.

We need more size I’m hoping Tryamkin comes back and plays in the 5-6 position. Edler can go unless he comes back cheap and plays 5-6.

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Most disengaged was butt head reff with the instigator and 10 minute misconduct on Hamonic. A terrible call for so many reasons. I know some may say get over it but to be honest it ruined my evening, ruined the game for me. Even went to bed pissed off. 

I have to be honest: I've been wondering for years why the Instigator isn't called on a regular basis.

Good on Hamonic for stepping up for the kid, but the fact is, every solid hit these days seems to end up in a fight, whether it's legal or not. Hitting is legal in the NHL and TBH, I'm kind of over seeing players have to drop the gloves, every time they make a solid hit.

The Instigator was designed to keep players from challenging the guys making these hits, but it's rarely called and therefore, zero deterrent.

The biggest issue I had with the call last night is that it wasn't consistent with how the game has been officiated in the past decade or so. The league has to decide how they want this to go, because right now, the players have no idea.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The defense should be better than it is, based purely on the personnel. 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to be honest: I've been wondering for years why the Instigator isn't called on a regular basis.

Good on Hamonic for stepping up for the kid, but the fact is, every solid hit these days seems to end up in a fight, whether it's legal or not. Hitting is legal in the NHL and TBH, I'm kind of over seeing players have to drop the gloves, every time they make a solid hit.

The Instigator was designed to keep players from challenging the guys making these hits, but it's rarely called and therefore, zero deterrent.

The biggest issue I had with the call last night is that it wasn't consistent with how the game has been officiated in the past decade or so. The league has to decide how they want this to go, because right now, the players have no idea.

It was a late hit on a guy that was somewhat vulnerable.  Both guys dropped the gloves simultaneously.  No instigator required.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

It was a late hit on a guy that was somewhat vulnerable.  Both guys dropped the gloves simultaneously.  No instigator required.

I'm not so much defending the call as I am wondering why the rule isn't enforced on a more regular basis. To be clear, I was never much of a fan, but it's on the books.

AFAIK, Tkachuk was called for the lateness of the hit, so I don't see how that's material. Also, I disagree with you assessment. Tkachuk saw TH coming, so he dropped his gloves, but Hamonic definitely instigated the fight.

• Cheers 1

Sucks to lose to a team we SHOULD beat, but the reality of it is these are 2 NHL teams that can beat each other on any given night if team X is on and team Y is off.

Vancouver looked slow out of the gate and thats a little expected given its only been 5 days since we retuned to action and this was our 3rd game. We played 2 exhausting games against TO where we were playing from behind to start, from the getgo we were chasing this game as well. Toronto, outside of their top line is quite slow. Ottawa is a young tenacious team that works extremely hard to win and makes the other team, no matter how good they are, have to work hard as hell to get a win. We’ve been out of action for awhile and we’re still finding our legs. We are finding our groove as the game goes on, but in the first 3 games back, we have yet to come out and say hey f*** you guys, this is the pace that the game is going to be played at, so keep up or get beat up.

Our top 4 d have been worked really hard since we returned to action with Edler getting basically 2.5 games, Hamonic missing a period, spent a fair amount of time on the PK.

Then our top 6 have also been getting bag skated trying to play catchup on the scoreboard.

We are also missing some key guys like Pettersson, Beagle and Motte

Lets rest up and get ‘em tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2