The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 22, 7 p.m. | SNP, RDS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still better overall (offense and defense as a whole) than anybody we got not named Schmidt.

I disagree. Edler only had 6 assists all year. We really getting zero offense outta the guy. Hes too slow now and imo a liability on the defensive end over younger guys that are a lot quicker than he is.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

If Alex Edler is the Canuck number 5 or 6 d man next season, we would have a Stanley Cup level D core.

Yeah, same older player with the same issues but he is a keeper.   Good chance, JB signs him at/above market value for nostalgic and mentoring reason with term - imo.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I disagree. Edler only had 6 assists all year. We really getting zero offense outta the guy. Hes too slow now and imo a liability on the defensive end over younger guys that are a lot quicker than he is.

Yeah but he will be here for other reasons rather than for his effectiveness on the ice - the important intangible(s) ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I wonder why the Coaching staff plays him over 20 minutes a game if he is so slow and such a liability defensively as you claim?

• Cheers 1

We won the 2 games vs Toronto largely because their goaltending was terrible, and Holtby had 2 of his best games of the year.

Heck, even when we were winning prior to the COVID shutdown, on many nights we didn’t play that great, Demko was just on a heater.

So either our players are not good enough, or they are not being deployed properly. I understand people who are pro-Green, #FireBenning, and I also understand Benning bros who want Green gone. But I just don’t understand why some think they both should stay.

Edited by D-Money

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

We won the 2 games vs Toronto largely in part to their goaltending being terrible, and Holtby having 2 of his best games of the year.

Heck, even when we were winning prior to the COVID shutdown, on many nights we didn’t play that great, Demko was just on a heater.

So either our players are not good enough, or they are not being deployed properly. I understand people who are pro-Green, #FireBenning, and I also understand Benning bros who want Green gone. But I just don’t understand why some think they both should stay.

Devil's advocate: it's not the Green. it's not JB. it's Baum and Newell.

I think JB has his strengths and flaws. Green has his strengths and flaws. A lot of people choose to focus on their strengths rather than their flaws. A few on this forum hand, focus only on the flaws. 

For me, I like what Benning brings and am willing to overlook his flaws for couple more years while I'm on the fence with Green. I like the coach and his potential to grow and become a better coach, but I don't know if I have the patience to watch as we get dominated by the opposition as often as we do until Green puts everything together.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

You don't need speed to simply clog up the ice. There's zero chasing going on, and the only time he's beat is on entries, on which every D in the league gets beat from time to time. He's been deployed the most the season, in the most dangerous of situations, and to top it all off, he's the franchise leader in all of these categories.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, same older player with the same issues but he is a keeper.   Good chance, JB signs him at/above market value for nostalgic and mentoring reason with term - imo.

I bet he signs one season at a time until he's done.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Best character trait of this coach, is he takes no $&!# from the media. Shut down Thomas Drance at 5:00 like a boss when the guy insinuates that now is the time to tank.

Drance is not likely to get another job with an NHL team, if he supports tanking.

Since the Buffalo gm got sacked, anyway.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Gotta respect a team like Ottawa,  playing for pride and building for next year. 

I thought it was a really well played game. You play the system best suited to the team to get wins. They aren't flashy cause they don't have the players to be yet. (Not that they don't have the talent they are just young). 

Their game plan is similar to what we used to beat Toronto. I think we were just a little gassed. The adrenaline rush from coming back from three weeks off being sick and not working out taking its toll. We finished strong though.

Cycle in a couple fresh faces an keep playing the way we have. Whatever happens, happens (making playoffs or not). Build good habits for next year. You don't quit no matter what game it is. I'm proud of the way the team has played since coming back. No one (in media) expected them to win and they fought hard to prove them wrong. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

Reading all the PGT, lots of support but ALOT of bashing.

And in it all very little about Jake V, who had 3 very good hits last night 2 of them on Chabot one where he knocked him down, that's not easy!

GCG 

I agree. I thought he had a good game last night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

People really shouldn’t be bashing the team right now. Ottawa played a great game last night. They deserve some credit, there was little room to move in the O-zone.

The adrenaline is probably gone now but their spirit and desire to win still seems to be there. 
Lets face it the refs took a lot of momentum we had going from the Leafs games in that first period. They seemed to have evened it out as the game went on but it was tough climbing back up the hill and Ottawa played great defensively. 

Imagine if we split the Leafs games and won last night I think they spirits would be pretty high. 

Hope we show the Sens who’s boss tomorrow 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1