The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value of) Max Domi?

So a second healthy scratch in a row for Domi who is struggling in Columbus under Torts. He's been ripped apart defensively and not scoring loads.

Obviously he's got potential, he's a nifty offensive player with high IQ, alright on faceoffs but small and not great defensively to be fair. 2 seasons removed from a monster year in Montreal, but he's really falling out of favour in CBJ.

Of course the Canucks have a hole at center coming up, with Beagle possibly out for all of next season as well, and beyond that who knows if he'll play again. Sutter will hopefully re-sign but regardless, he doesn't have many years left in him and we have no decent centers in the prospect pool for a while. Domi could slot in at 3C, play up the lineup if he plays well, and if we re-sign Sutter he fits in as our 4C/top Pker. Question is, what is Domi currently worth?

I'd happily part with a 2nd round pick for him, possibly throw in Virtanen/Chatfield depending on what the Blue Jackets want?

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So a second healthy scratch in a row for Domi who is struggling in Columbus under Torts. He's been ripped apart defensively and not scoring loads.

Obviously he's got potential, he's a nifty offensive player with high IQ, alright on faceoffs but small and not great defensively to be fair. 2 seasons removed from a monster year in Montreal, but he's really falling out of favour in CBJ.

Of course the Canucks have a hole at center coming up, with Beagle possibly out for all of next season as well, and beyond that who knows if he'll play again. Sutter will hopefully re-sign but regardless, he doesn't have many years left in him and we have no decent centers in the prospect pool for a while. Domi could slot in at 3C, play up the lineup if he plays well, and if we re-sign Sutter he fits in as our 4C/top Pker. Question is, what is Domi currently worth?

I'd happily part with a 2nd round pick for him, possibly throw in Virtanen/Chatfield depending on what the Blue Jackets want?

HELL YEA. I would gladly do a 2nd and Virtanen. Or if they want Rafferty or Woo I'll do that too. My only concern I have with Domi is that hes a UFA once his contract is up 

If they want to dump him with cap retained or for Jake and Roussel then I'd be down (their two contracts and the matching term would enable Vancouver to save money).  Of course we can't afford to take back any cap at all but if we could lose the two bad contracts, then have Ferland and Beagle on LTIR, and maybe Holtby plays himself into consideration as Seattle's pick from our team, then all of a sudden we could look pretty good money-wise.

Now we'd probably still need to add but if Domi's value dropped enough after the misconducts and the demotion in the lineup then we could have a steal on our hands.  Of course it doesn't appear as though Domi kills penalties very well so that would need to be addressed (Boyd is simply no good at the dot, so we would need to dress Lind and hope for the best or find another 4C, or have Miller/ Horvat kill penalties, which is suboptimal).  

The biggest issue for me is simply the money. He's the definition of a boom/bust type; 70+ points one season, 40+ the next. At 5.3M its hard to take on in full given his performance.

I'd try to leverage the contract to not give up much. Definitely send Virtanen. But if they are looking for prime assets I'd hold off.

As a player; I think he'd be a winger in Vancouver. With 70 points to his name he can't be brought in as a third line guy, maybe there's some chemistry on Horvat's wing, that would be my hope. (But where does that leave 2 of Hog/Pod/Pearson?)

I'd be interested but wouldn't be giving up prime assets to do it, the fit doesn't seem great.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The biggest issue for me is simply the money. He's the definition of a boom/bust type; 70+ points one season, 40+ the next. At 5.3M its hard to take on in full given his performance.

I'd try to leverage the contract to not give up much. Definitely send Virtanen. But if they are looking for prime assets I'd hold off.

As a player; I think he'd be a winger in Vancouver. With 70 points to his name he can't be brought in as a third line guy, maybe there's some chemistry on Horvat's wing, that would be my hope. (But where does that leave 2 of Hog/Pod/Pearson?)

I'd be interested but wouldn't be giving up prime assets to do it, the fit doesn't seem great.

didnt him and horvat play on the same line in london?

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He only has 1 year remaining at 5.3. If dim jim is interested we could always wait till hes a UFA 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You're aware of why he's been getting scratched, right?  The dude has a massive attitude problem.  For him to play well he has to play aggressively and with emotion.  But when that turns to frustration you get a madman who's out of control.  His penalties are silly, selfish, and very costly for his team.  Imagine just losing your temper, taking a double minor for bad behaviour and then a misconduct on top of it.  You're gone for almost a full period.  Puts you shorthanded and messes your lineup.  The man is like his father.  They are both hotheads that lose control and make their own team pay the consequences for it.  Hard pass.

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why depreciate your opinions with disrespectful nicknames for the best drafter in our 5+ decades?

Surely we are not in the business of policing this type of stuff?  Jim Benning (my fav is Jet Black Jim) is NOT one of the holy Canuck figures.  Maybe if he was insulting the Sedins or something...

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

HELL YEA. I would gladly do a 2nd and Virtanen. Or if they want Rafferty or Woo I'll do that too. My only concern I have with Domi is that hes a UFA once his contract is up 

I actually 100% agree.. Virtanen + 2nd rounder, CBJ holds 2M salary.

They would only do this if they can Torts which I expect to happen.

I'd try just for Jake 1:1, or maybe Jake + a prospect, but not the 2nd round pick too.  Columbus saves some cap which they are going to need for Laine and rebuilding the rest of their F group which isn't going to be cheap.

Jake + prospect or 2nd or Roussel. I'm fine with any combo.

Domi would be a great add as he can play LW/C.  I'd run 3 scoring lines.

Motte EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Hogz

Domi Miller Podz

The 4th line comprised of cheaper players for cap issues.  Boyd, Vesey, etc.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

If we were able to offer JV18 + AR26 in a cap-for-cap swap, adding Domi would be an attractive piece to add to our lineup next season - a nice "buy-low" acquisition. 

One of the factors would be the M-NTC on Roussel's contract as he would have to not list CLB as one of his no-trade teams.

2019-20 & 20-21: Player submits a 8 team no trade list. 2021-22: Player submits a 5 team no trade list.

My Top-9 line-up would look like:

Domi Miller Boeser
(Miller and Boeser to an extent would keep Domi's fire ignited but under control, and playing in the same organization as CAP BH53 will rejuvenate him)  

Motte Petey Podz
(Petey keeping the train rolling, while Motte will help with puck retrieval (channeling his inner-Burrows/Rust/Guentzel) and Podz would be working with pairing his KHL playoff Beast pace with the NHL's speed)

Pearson Bo Hogz
(On paper, "the third line" but at the the rolling pace for 3 defensively competent but balanced scoring lines, they would fit right in as being called upon to match up against the league's top lines but can score against you too)

I like the flexibility of rotating Boeser and Podz between Miller's and Petey's lines depending on whether there is a rut or a change in pace is necessary for them. Reuniting Boeser on either line for a quick line juggle usually adds a spark to Brockstar's game. 

Willes: Bo Horvat and Max Domi — rivals at 10, friends for life | The  ProvinceBo Horvat and Max Domi of the London Knights head back to the bench... News  Photo - Getty Imagesr/canucks - Bo Horvat and Max Domi after the 2013 draft [x-post from /r/hockey]

Also noticed/remembered this when I was Googling reference photos of BH53 and MD##. 

Can we reunite Bo and Max, and have them go from Groomsman to Linemate? Peep Josh Anderson, their former teammate who Max was traded for not-to-long-ago, right beside him! 

All three united in Canucks jerseys? B):ph34r:

No thanks... for the cap hit there would be much better risks to take.

They could waive him for a better deal than what I would give up.  For me they would have to retain salary or take back equivalent money back... and that is worse for them than simply freeing up the cap space.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm concerned that some health issues that Domi struggles with, could see a faster than normal fall off on his performance and shorten his career.

I like him overall, but there are some things that may prevent him from ever realizing his full potential.

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You're aware of why he's been getting scratched, right?  The dude has a massive attitude problem.  For him to play well he has to play aggressively and with emotion.  But when that turns to frustration you get a madman who's out of control.  His penalties are silly, selfish, and very costly for his team.  Imagine just losing your temper, taking a double minor for bad behaviour and then a misconduct on top of it.  You're gone for almost a full period.  Puts you shorthanded and messes your lineup.  The man is like his father.  They are both hotheads that lose control and make their own team pay the consequences for it.  Hard pass.

Surely we are not in the business of policing this type of stuff?  Jim Benning (my fav is Jet Black Jim) is NOT one of the holy Canuck figures.  Maybe if he was insulting the Sedins or something...

So, he's a perfect fit for the Leafs you say? 

• Haha 1

Here's the commentary when I opened up discussion about a month ago. He's a bit pricey, but I would consider it as a buy low option as long as we can work out the cap situation. Move Roussel and Virtanen for Domi and a low pick. Podkolzin/Lind could take Roussel's spot as a cheap forward and would pretty much balance out the cap. If we can get them to retain a bit as well and forgo the pick, then even better.