The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Cops, a thread for policing in Canada

Gurn

Thought we should have a thread for Canadian policing issues, here is the first bit, from Ontario.

Looks like a police officer , about 4 times the size of 12 yr old boy gets caught shoving the kid to the ground.

https:COPSHOVE.jpg.c0ca0ecbfe2279c69d8dad513e090134.jpg//www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/police-investigate-after-video-shows-physical-confrontation-between-opp-officer-and-youth/ar-BB1fRn4u?ocid=msedgntp

Ontario Provincial Police have asked officers in Peel Regional Police to investigate after a video surfaced online Sunday that appears to show an OPP officer assault a young boy on a scooter in Gravenhurst, Ont.

The video, which has since been viewed more than 7,000 times on Instagram, seems to show several young people hurrying away on scooters from a skate park. One of them can be heard saying “they’re asking for IDs” in reference to two uniformed OPP officers standing near a young boy.

At one point in the video, an officer appears to push the boy and he is seen falling forcefully.

An onlooker, unseen in the video, can be heard saying: “What are you doing bud, he’s 12-years-old!”

As the camera zooms in on the interaction, the boy is seen getting up, with no apparent injuries, and engaging in a conversation with the two police officers.

Brodie Ohare, who posted the video to his Instagram page, wrote in the caption: “Today I witness a 12-year-old get pushed over by a police officer at our local skate park in Gravenhurst Ontario.”

On Friday, April 16, Premier Doug Ford announced new anti-COVID measures that allowed Ontario police to stop pedestrians and vehicles to ask why they’re outside and for their home address.

Following a backlash by the public and some regional police forces, the province amended the measures the next day, stating the police may only stop people who they have reason to believe are participating in an “organized public event or social gathering.”

Sgt. Jason Folz, the media relations coordinator for the OPP central region, said the officers had stopped to talk to the group of youths because they were at a skate park that had been closed as per Ontario stay-at-home orders.

Folz could neither confirm whether the officers had asked anyone at the skate park for their IDs nor give details of the interaction between the officers and the boy.

In a news release issued Tuesday morning, OPP stated that the skate park had been closed under the terms of stay-at-home order and officers had stopped to “speak to a group of young people, none of whom were wearing masks or social distancing.”

“Officers attempted to interact with the youths which led to a physical confrontation between one officer and one young person,” the release stated.

The boy’s age is not confirmed in the release.

The OPP officer involved has since been reassigned to administrative duties while Peel Regional Police investigate the incident, the release stated.

OPP Commissioner Thomas Carrique stated in the release that he asked Peel police to investigate so as to “ensure transparency in the matter.”

“We understand the concerns being expressed by members of the public, and I want to assure everyone that the Ontario Provincial Police holds its members to highest levels of professionalism and accountability,” he was quoted in the news release.

https://www.instagram.com/brodieohare/?utm_source=ig_embed

On Friday, April 16, Premier Doug Ford announced new anti-COVID measures that allowed Ontario police to stop pedestrians and vehicles to ask why they’re outside and for their home address.

This to me, is the most alarming portion of the article. What next?

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

'Yes, officer, i understand you are now allowed to ask me those questions; however can you show me where it says I must now answer?"

" No?, well have a nice day" and wander off.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, gurn said:

In a news release issued Tuesday morning, OPP stated that the skate park had been closed under the terms of stay-at-home order and officers had stopped to “speak to a group of young people, none of whom were wearing masks or social distancing.”

“Officers attempted to interact with the youths which led to a physical confrontation between one officer and one young person,” the release stated

I don’t want to nitpick, but the police statement here has some issues.

Firstly, it’s clear that at least one of the youths was wearing a mask, so the claim that “none of them” wore masks is demonstrably false.

Also, it’s pretty hard to social distance when a cop grabs your scooter and shoves you to the ground.

And what led to a physical confrontation appears to just be a cop starting a physical confrontation. Unless “attempting to interact” is cop speak for roughing up kids.

That all said, many of the kids were maskless and they are being idiots for not masking up or following whatever other protocols and rules are in place in Ontario.

I’m sure most cops hate having to enforce these actions, but there’d be no incident if these kids just followed the rules. Unfortunately, any time you put yourself in a situation where cops might get involved, bad things can happen to you. That definitely doesn’t excuse the cops, just saying the kids were being dumb.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canadian Armed forces...eff me, this is terrible

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yea. I don't trust any government at all. Income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure.

That's my fear, nothing they do is "temporary"...it always seems to stay...

Nothing certain in life but death and taxes I guess

• Vintage 1

Generally I'm weary of jumping to conclusions after that Ocean Weisblatt situation, where the public reaction completely flipped from 'police brutality' to 'anti-masker violating restrictions'.

First off the video is troubling, and the lockdown rules seem a little insane. But if that's the rule and someone isn't complying with the law, then at what point do you have to take further action than just verbal? Same thing could be said with the situation above ^, its kind of a general 'law enforcement' question.

Targeting kids outside at a skate park seems draconian, but then again maybe things are so bad there as to it being justified. (I haven't been following)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We're kidding ourselves if we don't believe we also have issues with policing.

The difference is, we don't have the gun culture that the US does, so our "incidents" usually involve something like what we see in the story above, rather than people being shot and killed.

I could totally see a Derek Chauvin situation happen in Canada, though....just replace the African American with a First Nations Canadian....

it already has happened, many times. When I was living in SK there was a running joke about the police dropping First Nations people off at the dump in the middle of winter and letting them walk a few miles back to town. Sometimes they didn't make it. 

But I also grew up with the house next to us having a terrific police officer, just a great human being all around. So how to weed out the bad ones is the main issue imo. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

hopefully the "whats next" is people stopping getting together and stopping the 3rd wave. This is an emergency measure. I don't buy the slippery slope arguments on this one. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We're kidding ourselves if we don't believe we also have issues with policing.

The difference is, we don't have the gun culture that the US does, so our "incidents" usually involve something like what we see in the story above, rather than people being shot and killed.

I could totally see a Derek Chauvin situation happen in Canada, though....just replace the African American with a First Nations Canadian....

It does happen here. Wellness checks have resulted in multiple shootings of First Nations (and other) people. 

19 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Does anyone remember what policing was like in Canada before the 90's? 

I wonder if it was any better or worse? 

Maybe someone like Joe would know or a older member of our community? 

What I remember is that cops would take more liberties, but also would let a lot more slide. They were much more willing to dispense “justice” as they saw fit, in the moment, which could be good or bad, depending on who you were, and whatever biases the cops might have (either for or against you).

29 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Does anyone remember what policing was like in Canada before the 90's? 

I wonder if it was any better or worse? 

Maybe someone like Joe would know or a older member of our community? 

I thought it was fine. You always had the idea that it was conducted under the true concept of law and order. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

"But but but... it's to curb the pandemic!"

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hopefully the "whats next" is people stopping getting together and stopping the 3rd wave.

So that somehow justifies the police to ask you why you're outside? Since when is being outside in the fresh air something that the police can ask you about? By the way, as long as planes keep bringing people from one country to another, these waves will continue. Community spread is part of the problem, but that can't cause new variants to show up.

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is an emergency measure. I don't buy the slippery slope arguments on this one. 

Oh well. Emergency measures don't always go away completely.