The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Cops, a thread for policing in Canada

Gurn

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So that somehow justifies the police to ask you why you're outside? Since when is being outside in the fresh air something that the police can ask you about?

yes. It is when a bunch of asshats get together and spread a virus and don't care who they hurt. I mean just look at the crowds in Ontario and the beach dance parties in Vancouver last week.

Sometimes you need to plan for the lowest common denominator. 

By the way, as long as planes keep bringing people from one country to another, these waves will continue. Community spread is part of the problem, but that can't cause new variants to show up.

agreed, but thats a federal thing. I think Trudeau is afraid to close flights from India because we needed their vaccines, but maybe now that Biden is giving us more that will change. 

Oh well. Emergency measures don't always go away completely.

We just don't have the police capacity to make this a permanent thing, and the voting public won't put up with it once the numbers go down.

Phil, we're talking about dealing with people that don't care if they infect you or your family, I don't see the alternative for an immediate reduction in crowds. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The government always wants everyone to believe that they mean well, Fig. Sadly, many buy it.

The good intentions last a little while, then the addiction to the new money stream kicks in. And the people are screwed over one more time. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it already has happened, many times. When I was living in SK there was a running joke about the police dropping First Nations people off at the dump in the middle of winter and letting them walk a few miles back to town. Sometimes they didn't make it. 

But I also grew up with the house next to us having a terrific police officer, just a great human being all around. So how to weed out the bad ones is the main issue imo. 

I agree. I also know many good cops....the problem is, the bad ones are often protected by the system, so even if other cops know they're bad, they don't do anything about it. The same "Blue line" that we hear about in the US...

I had a run in with a cop in Alberta over 30 years ago that still bugs me to this day.....It was back in my traveling musician days and we were booked in a bar in the "charming" little town of Wainwright:

In those days, we traveled all over western Canada in an old Bluebird school bus that we had converted to have storage for the gear in the back and three seats plus two bunks up front. At this particular gig, we parked the bus behind the hotel, in a lot that was once a gas station. In fact, we parked right beside the decommissioned pumps. Since it was a small town and the hotel had a restaurant, there was no need for us to drive, so after we parked beside the pumps, the bus stayed put for the rest of the week.

Friday night was busy and a bit rowdy. This was pretty common in small towns, where getting completely drunk was pretty much what you did on the weekends.

On Saturday morning at about 10:00 am, we were awoken by the police knocking on our door. Once we got to the door, one of the cops informed us that we had been involved in a "collision" the night before. We explained that the Bus was parked and had not been driven anywhere, since the previous Monday. At this point he told us in no uncertain terms, that paint samples were being sent to Edmonton and if they came back a match, we would be found "at fault". We explained that a paint match wouldn't prove which vehicle in fact caused the collision, but it was basically like talking to a brick wall.

We later learned that the owner of the restaurant that was attached to the hotel was also the owner of the vehicle that was involved in the "collision". He had apparently let his son, (who was a well known heavy drinker) borrow the car after the bar closed. As near as we could tell, he must have backed right into the bus as he tried to leave the parking lot.

Of course, none of this information meant anything to the cops, who had a choice between the son of a respected local businessman, or a half dozen long hairs from out of town.

Long story short: Our insurance costs went way up after that little incident....

Edited by RUPERTKBD

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. I also know many good cops....the problem is, the bad ones are often protected by the system, so even if other cops know they're bad, they don't do anything about it. The same "Blue line" that we hear about in the US...

I had a run in with a cop in Alberta over 30 years ago that still bugs me to this day.....It was back in my traveling musician days and we were booked in a bar in the "charming" little town of Wainwright:

In those days, we traveled all over western Canada in an old Bluebird school bus that we had converted to have storage for the gear in the back and three seats plus two bunks up front. At this particular gig, we parked the bus behind the hotel, in a lot that was once a gas station. In fact, we parked right beside the decommissioned pumps. Since it was a small town and the hotel had a restaurant, there was no need for us to drive, so after we parked beside the pumps, the bus stayed put for the rest of the week.

Friday night was busy and a bit rowdy. This was pretty common in small towns, where getting completely drunk was pretty much what you did on the weekends.

On Saturday morning at about 10:00 am, we were awoken by the police knocking on our door. Once we got to the door, one of the cops informed us that we had been involved in a "collision" the night before. We explained that the Bus was parked and had not been driven anywhere, since the previous Monday. At this point he told us in no uncertain terms, that paint samples were being sent to Edmonton and if they came back a match, we would be found "at fault". We explained that a paint match would prove which vehicle in fact caused the collision, but it was basically like talking to a brick wall.

We later learned that the owner of the restaurant that was attached to the hotel was also the owner of the vehicle that was involved in the "collision". He had apparently let his son, (who was a well known heavy drinker) borrow the car after the bar closed. As near as we could tell, he must have backed right into the bus as he tried to leave the parking lot.

Of course, none of this information meant anything to the cops, who had a choice between the son of a respected local businessman, or a half dozen long hairs from out of town.

Long story short: Our insurance costs went way up after that little incident....

lovely. Too bad one of you guys didn't have a Super 8 handy and could film the whole incident. 

But certainly a system with more transparency would help reduce this kind of thing. I'm not sure if all levels of police have to wear camera's now but that would help. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yes. It is when a bunch of asshats get together and spread a virus and don't care who they hurt. I mean just look at the crowds in Ontario and the beach dance parties in Vancouver last week.

Sometimes you need to plan for the lowest common denominator. 

There's a difference between a massive group congregating and a couple of kids on scooters. Those kids should be outside in the fresh air and sunshine getting vitamin D. 

agreed, but thats a federal thing. I think Trudeau is afraid to close flights from India because we needed their vaccines, but maybe now that Biden is giving us more that will change. 

I'm aware of it being a federal matter. What about flights from Brazil that still come in? UK? Other hotspots? Are flights coming in from those areas because they're giving Canada vaccines? 

We just don't have the police capacity to make this a permanent thing, and the voting public won't put up with it once the numbers go down.

How do you know the voting public to make that assertion? It's amazing what a global pandemic can do to sway public opinion. And a government can always increase budgets to add more capacity.

Phil, we're talking about dealing with people that don't care if they infect you or your family, I don't see the alternative for an immediate reduction in crowds. 

No, that's what you're talking about. I'm talking about the line of questioning that the officer had with the kid in the original post. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lovely. Too bad one of you guys didn't have a Super 8 handy and could film the whole incident. 

But certainly a system with more transparency would help reduce this kind of thing. I'm not sure if all levels of police have to wear camera's now but that would help. 

TBH, it never occurred to us. That same situation (parking in a lot behind the bar) was the norm. We had never experienced anything like that and even now that we think about it and understand that cops will likely favor the locals over someone from out of town, we had never seen anything quite so blatantly unfair.

I remember when I got back to PG for a visit later that year and told the story to my parents....my dad was livid. (You have to understand that my dad was the nicest, most mild mannered person you ever met. Think Ned Flanders) He was ready to contact the head of the RCMP (whoever that is) and lodge a formal complaint. He also wondered why we didn't fight the ruling.

I explained that when you're in a job that requires to to travel anywhere from Vancouver Island to Manitoba and the Territories, making court dates is a bit problematic. It was entirely possible that when our day in court in Wainwright, Alberta came around, we would be in Port Hardy, Yellowknife, or Flin Flon.....

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There's a difference between a massive group congregating and a couple of kids on scooters. Those kids should be outside in the fresh air and sunshine getting vitamin D. 

I'm aware of it being a federal matter. What about flights from Brazil that still come in? UK? Other hotspots? Are flights coming in from those areas because they're giving Canada vaccines? 

How do you know the voting public to make that assertion? It's amazing what a global pandemic can do to sway public opinion. And a government can always increase budgets to add more capacity.

well, I guess we're in a democracy and we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No, that's what you're talking about. I'm talking about the line of questioning that the officer had with the kid in the original post. 

thats the law the officer was abusing. Its a bad officer, not a bad law. 

So whats your solution to dealing with keeping people in their health authorities, e.g.? or not gathering in an unsafe way?

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

On Friday, April 16, Premier Doug Ford announced new anti-COVID measures that allowed Ontario police to stop pedestrians and vehicles to ask why they’re outside and for their home address.

This to me, is the most alarming portion of the article. What next?

Police in Ontario to &^@# off and they're not going to enforce this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

It does happen here. Wellness checks have resulted in multiple shootings of First Nations (and other) people. 

i nearly got shot once in a wellness check, well at least it felt that way.

I didn't lock the front door, and somehow my door got opened, you cant see the door because of the hallway. anyways, the door was open for a while i guess so they called he cops. 

I was playing a video game upstairs in my room and i heard something down stairs.

I walked downstairs and when i turned the corner there where two constables with thier guns drawned and pointing at me. They yelled Hands in the air, it was scary as hell.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, I guess we're in a democracy and we'll see. 

We'll see what exactly? Whether or not the federal government will actually ground flights to stem the infection rate? Do you think that Trudeau will ask the people in this democracy whether or not that should be on the table? It's honestly too late though. These variants are here now and that (and all outcomes of it) rest squarely on the shoulders of the government that has allowed people to fly into this country from other areas where infection had mutated. 

thats the law the officer was abusing. Its a bad officer, not a bad law. 

I didn't realize that the law was to keep people in their homes without any allowance to venture to a park or walk down the street which looks like what the kid was doing at the time.

So whats your solution to dealing with keeping people in their health authorities, e.g.? or not gathering in an unsafe way?

Most people do. Those who happen to have a job in a different health authority don't really have a choice, outside of quitting their jobs. What should happen to them? What is the point of keeping people from leaving their health authorities when people are coming in via the airport with infections?

The government has been inconsistent in it's messaging to the general public for sometime now, and people are losing faith and trust in them. Couple this with the disconnect between federal, provincial and municipal governments, and you have our present situation. This could have been avoided if the federal government had the cajones to suspend air travel from outside the country to prevent the spread of the variants. 

Solution? Ban all air travel for the same duration of time as the request for no health authority travel. Ensure that the variants don't continue to pour in while managing the risk provincially. However the federal government is useless in this regard, so expect more infection to arrive on planes with the onus landing on the local population who are doing their best to manage.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We'll see what exactly? Whether or not the federal government will actually ground flights to stem the infection rate?

exactly, And we can vote him out if he fails us more on this.

Do you think that Trudeau will ask the people in this democracy whether or not that should be on the table? It's honestly too late though. These variants are here now and that (and all outcomes of it) rest squarely on the shoulders of the government that has allowed people to fly into this country from other areas where infection had mutated. 

its not if we all keep following the basic rules, they're simple but they work 

I didn't realize that the law was to keep people in their homes without any allowance to venture to a park or walk down the street which looks like what the kid was doing at the time.

its easy to get upset over a one-off bad cop. But we need more powers to deal with the dumb dumbs out there. 

Most people do. Those who happen to have a job in a different health authority don't really have a choice, outside of quitting their jobs. What should happen to them? What is the point of keeping people from leaving their health authorities when people are coming in via the airport with infections?'

the law doesn't apply to them, all they have to do is tell the cop they are going to work.

The health authority lines are kind of random in some ways, but in a crisis you have to pick something reasonable and objective. 

I don't know why they are allowing people in with infections, thats very troubling. 

The government has been inconsistent in it's messaging to the general public for sometime now, and people are losing faith and trust in them. Couple this with the disconnect between federal, provincial and municipal governments, and you have our present situation. This could have been avoided if the federal government had the cajones to suspend air travel from outside the country to prevent the spread of the variants. 

yup 

Solution? Ban all air travel for the same duration of time as the request for no health authority travel. Ensure that the variants don't continue to pour in while managing the risk provincially. However the federal government is useless in this regard, so expect more infection to arrive on planes with the onus landing on the local population who are doing their best to manage.

agreed again. 

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

On Friday, April 16, Premier Doug Ford announced new anti-COVID measures that allowed Ontario police to stop pedestrians and vehicles to ask why they’re outside and for their home address.

This to me, is the most alarming portion of the article. What next?

Uhh, your home address is on your id or tied to your id anyways. What's the problem?

Only problem is not carrying your id with you on walks in which case why would they care about your address? You can't possibly live more than 30 min. away.

• Cheers 1

I just dealt with an incident along side Police. 

Some vagrant was denied entry into the Library and one of the staff overheard him threatening the library with a supposed gun. 

As you expect, after North Van, the library took the threat pretty seriously. Library went into lockdown. Nobody allowed to enter or leave. 

In the end the guy was full of BS and was asked to leave the vicinity and not return. 

in 2007 i had a run in with police in Kelowna.
i was driving by on my bike ...of a scene of several police gathered and doing some sort of prep for a take down on a house in my neighborhood.
i parked across the street and pulled out my handy-camcorder and started filming.
they got really annoyed about it and started yelling at me...so i jumped on my bike and went on my way home about a half block away.

as i pulled onto my property 3 cops came up on me and tackled me off my bike and started to wrestle my camera out of my possession.

my roommate came out of the house and saw the camera come flying onto the ground and he grabbed it and started filming them assault me.

they arrested me, took the camera....and while they held me in jail, they erased the footage.

they released me without charges and gave my camera back with the erased card.
i never did get any resolution on the matter and ended up just going on with my life never trusting cops again.

32 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

in 2007 i had a run in with police in Kelowna.
i was driving by on my bike ...of a scene of several police gathered and doing some sort of prep for a take down on a house in my neighborhood.
i parked across the street and pulled out my handy-camcorder and started filming.
they got really annoyed about it and started yelling at me...so i jumped on my bike and went on my way home about a half block away.

as i pulled onto my property 3 cops came up on me and tackled me off my bike and started to wrestle my camera out of my possession.

my roommate came out of the house and saw the camera come flying onto the ground and he grabbed it and started filming them assault me.

they arrested me, took the camera....and while they held me in jail, they erased the footage.

they released me without charges and gave my camera back with the erased card.
i never did get any resolution on the matter and ended up just going on with my life never trusting cops again.

Scumbags. 

• Thanks 1