The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Cops, a thread for policing in Canada

Gurn

my cousins ex hubby is a cop in kelowna hes going to  jail for sexual harrasment of women in ktown just the dirtiest cop  he gets sentenced  june 2nd   to more than 5 yrs in jail karma for him hes a a hole https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/latest-news/i-was-afraid-women-come-forward-with-claims-against-former-rcmp-officer-3553962 

5 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh, your home address is on your id or tied to your id anyways. What's the problem?

Only problem is not carrying your id with you on walks in which case why would they care about your address? You can't possibly live more than 30 min. away.

Imagine if the police only focus on ID'ing ethnic minorities.  Racism or just cops acting within their powers to "fight covid"?

Edited by Lancaster
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

And? 

Considering it was a supposedly a big issue in places like Toronto where some minority groups were complaining they were targeted more.

While the police previously claimed it was working to reduce crime, some claim it's a racist policy.  

Now... police can have a carte blanche to do it again.  Got any complaints?  Well... it's to fight Covid.

If the police just decide to give extra focus on say... blacks... that they're going to check every single black person they come across... that is now acceptable?

• Vintage 1

Ten years ago i was walking to the pub and some kids were speeding around the neighbourhood, school zone...elderly outside etc. They sped past me hanging out the car laughing. Didnt pay any attention but i felt an air current whiz past my head? 

Got to the pub and ordered a beer. Half hour later those same kids get cornered in the parking lot. Cops get them on the ground, and the kids leader was still running away. Wouldnt give up.....then a lady cop got out of the car, caught him...dunno for sure what happened. 

Found out those kids were doing drive by stonings and having a great time. Realized then what whizzed past my head. Didnt feel bad for the kids. 

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Considering it was a supposedly a big issue in places like Toronto where some minority groups were complaining they were targeted more.

While the police previously claimed it was working to reduce crime, some claim it's a racist policy.  

Now... police can have a carte blanche to do it again.  Got any complaints?  Well... it's to fight Covid.

If the police just decide to give extra focus on say... blacks... that they're going to check every single black person they come across... that is now acceptable?

we only have so many tools in the box to deal with unsafe gatherings. If its not the police having temporary additional powers, then whats your idea to deal with people who don't care if they are spreading variants by getting together in large groups?

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Ten years ago i was walking to the pub and some kids were speeding around the neighbourhood, school zone...elderly outside etc. They sped past me hanging out the car laughing. Didnt pay any attention but i felt an air current whiz past my head? 

Got to the pub and ordered a beer. Half hour later those same kids get cornered in the parking lot. Cops get them on the ground, and the kids leader was still running away. Wouldnt give up.....then a lady cop got out of the car, caught him...dunno for sure what happened. 

Found out those kids were doing drive by stonings and having a great time. Realized then what whizzed past my head. Didnt feel bad for the kids. 

Nor should you.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/trailer-hitch-death-1.4189426

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We're kidding ourselves if we don't believe we also have issues with policing.

The difference is, we don't have the gun culture that the US does, so our "incidents" usually involve something like what we see in the story above, rather than people being shot and killed.

I could totally see a Derek Chauvin situation happen in Canada, though....just replace the African American with a First Nations Canadian....

These happen regularly in winnipeg.  Well, the stories i have heard involve driving the individuals out of town so they freeze on their walk back.  No documents attached.  Just a morning conversation. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Instead of throwing metal objects at people, he should throw out all the cheeseburgers out of his diet.

Crown is seeking 8 to 12 years, this tub of $&!# will be out in a few years.

Also isn’t this a hate crime? Doesn’t  that get you more prison time in Canada?

image.jpeg.c0efc25805eec1d55e3369d387b9599c.jpeg

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Instead of throwing metal objects at people, he should throw out all the cheeseburgers out of his diet.

Crown is seeking 8 to 12 years, this tub of $&!# will be out in a few years.

Also isn’t this a hate crime? Doesn’t  that get you more prison time in Canada?

image.jpeg.c0efc25805eec1d55e3369d387b9599c.jpeg

I'd bet the mortgage that it is....the problem is, it would be extremely difficult to prove....

The guy could literally use the defense, "I'm just an a$$hole...not a racist a$$hole"....<_<

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it already has happened, many times. When I was living in SK there was a running joke about the police dropping First Nations people off at the dump in the middle of winter and letting them walk a few miles back to town. Sometimes they didn't make it. 

But I also grew up with the house next to us having a terrific police officer, just a great human being all around. So how to weed out the bad ones is the main issue imo. 

That wasn’t a running joke.   That is a well known thing that has happen dozens of times through the years.  

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

That wasn’t a running joke.   That is a well known thing that has happen dozens of times through the years.  

what I meant was the practice was considered a joke, a bad one, among people I knew in SK. People who you wouldn't normally associate with racist behaviour seemed to find it amusing back in the day.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we only have so many tools in the box to deal with unsafe gatherings. If its not the police having temporary additional powers, then whats your idea to deal with people who don't care if they are spreading variants by getting together in large groups?

By that reasoning, I guess there should be no more outdoor protests too then, eh?  

Whether it's Earth Day, or BLM, or whatever.... those protests should be made illegal until the whole Covid situation is over?

You're allowed to gather into groups outdoors as long as you're doing it safely.  For large parties and stuff indoors, I believe they are already fining those people.  I don't think anyone has issues with that.  

If the government really wants protect people, they should be encouraging people to be healthier overall.  Obviously those who are elderly or with medical issues are more limited, but there are strong correlation in regards to obesity and the infection/death rate of Covid.  

Just a hypothetical scenario.... in the US, blacks are proportionally affected more by Covid than whites.  Imagine if the police "prioritize" to stem the spread by maintaining vigilance for ID checks in those black neighbourhoods.  Just remember, ID for voting is considered racist by some.... so now you're going to patrol an area where a sizeable population doesn't have ID.  Those without ID will be fined and/or forced to stay home, regardless if they have a valid reason to be out.  

Is the above acceptable since it's for the "greater good"?

Giving more power to the authority may sound good, but they rarely return such power.  All it does to create some precedent to enact similar laws in the future.  The run-of-the-mill flu is easily transmittable and many people do die from it.... so have ID checks, travel restrictions, quarantine measures be placed again?  I mean, don't you care about that sweet old grandmother who you may kill if you travel during flu season?

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

By that reasoning, I guess there should be no more outdoor protests too then, eh?  

Whether it's Earth Day, or BLM, or whatever.... those protests should be made illegal until the whole Covid situation is over?

You're allowed to gather into groups outdoors as long as you're doing it safely.  For large parties and stuff indoors, I believe they are already fining those people.  I don't think anyone has issues with that.  

but many people are not doing it safety, thats the problem. If the rule is that you should not leave your health authority and gather somewhere, checking ID is a good and fair method of doing that. 

If the government really wants protect people, they should be encouraging people to be healthier overall. 

haven't you seen Trudeau doing yoga? 

Obviously those who are elderly or with medical issues are more limited, but there are strong correlation in regards to obesity and the infection/death rate of Covid.  

the new variants are going after young people too 

Just a hypothetical scenario.... in the US, blacks are proportionally affected more by Covid than whites.  Imagine if the police "prioritize" to stem the spread by maintaining vigilance for ID checks in those black neighbourhoods.  Just remember, ID for voting is considered racist by some.... so now you're going to patrol an area where a sizeable population doesn't have ID.  Those without ID will be fined and/or forced to stay home, regardless if they have a valid reason to be out.  

Is the above acceptable since it's for the "greater good"?

its easy to create hypotheticals. We need more powers for real situations that are actually occurring. Those dummies having a beach dance party last weekend wasn't hypothetical. Some people just don't care, and theres just too much risk right now to put up with that kind of behaviour. 

Giving more power to the authority may sound good, but they rarely return such power.  All it does to create some precedent to enact similar laws in the future.  The run-of-the-mill flu is easily transmittable and many people do die from it.... so have ID checks, travel restrictions, quarantine measures be placed again?  I mean, don't you care about that sweet old grandmother who you may kill if you travel during flu season?

like what? give me specifics here. 

On 4/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Yea. I don't trust any government at all. Income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure.

do you enjoy world class education, healthcare infrastructure etc etc etc etc?  That doesn't pay for itself

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but many people are not doing it safety, thats the problem. If the rule is that you should not leave your health authority and gather somewhere, checking ID is a good and fair method of doing that. 

haven't you seen Trudeau doing yoga? 

the new variants are going after young people too 

its easy to create hypotheticals. We need more powers for real situations that are actually occurring. Those dummies having a beach dance party last weekend wasn't hypothetical. Some people just don't care, and theres just too much risk right now to put up with that kind of behaviour. 

like what? give me specifics here. 

Unfortunately, the rules aren't always based on science or facts, just government wanting to "do something" for the sake of doing something.  That's not a good way to govern.  

If I want to drive to pick up Krispy Kreme, the police can hypothetically pull me over to check my ID to find out which health authority region I reside at?  I mean... how did it actually help?  I'm not talking about whether one should listen to the rules, but whether the rules are even worth enforcing to begin with.  

In regards to new variants.... seems to me that there will always be new variants and that current vaccines (and future version) may only be partially effective for new strains, thus this will be on-going in perpetuity.  With a perpetual crisis, the power the authorities will get won't be temporary but permanent.

There are ads by BC government saying how hanging out outside is acceptable.  I believe most of the cases were transferred within a close vicinity.  

As for specific examples... a different one, but relates to firearms.  Whatever your opinions on guns, the RCMP is nowadays more or less the one crafting regulations and enforcing regulations... with minimal oversight or venue to counter.  Suffice to say that it's very self-serving.  

Bad laws are bad laws, regardless of its ultimate intention.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Unfortunately, the rules aren't always based on science or facts, just government wanting to "do something" for the sake of doing something.  That's not a good way to govern.  

thats true. Some people also like to use the idea of the "precautionary principle" to guide decision making too. I'm not a big fan of that approach but a lot of people like it. 

If I want to drive to pick up Krispy Kreme, the police can hypothetically pull me over to check my ID to find out which health authority region I reside at?  I mean... how did it actually help?  I'm not talking about whether one should listen to the rules, but whether the rules are even worth enforcing to begin with.  

well, I mean you could be doing anything. I don't have a problem with the RCMP e.g., checking on people travelling in BC over the next month or so. I'll be happy to be pulled over and just consider it doing my part to help. 

It helps as a potential deterrent. I know you won't stop everyone, but you may stop some and every bit helps. 

In regards to new variants.... seems to me that there will always be new variants and that current vaccines (and future version) may only be partially effective for new strains, thus this will be on-going in perpetuity.  With a perpetual crisis, the power the authorities will get won't be temporary but permanent.

thats very likely the new reality. People will only want the authorities to have those powers when it makes sense. We're not living in Cold War Eastern Europe, we do have a big say in what the RCMP is able to do. 

There are ads by BC government saying how hanging out outside is acceptable.  I believe most of the cases were transferred within a close vicinity.  

As for specific examples... a different one, but relates to firearms.  Whatever your opinions on guns, the RCMP is nowadays more or less the one crafting regulations and enforcing regulations... with minimal oversight or venue to counter.  Suffice to say that it's very self-serving.  

Bad laws are bad laws, regardless of its ultimate intention.  

I guess thats where we disagree, which is OK. I don't see it as a bad temporary measure or something thats going to stick around, we have too much say in who we vote in and we do run the RCMP via a minister who is answerable to us. 

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

just wanted to address this one on its own, and get away from covid for a moment.

I would like to see the RCMP have even more power to seise guns. Look at the Nova Scotia shooter - the RCMP were informed my multiple credible sources that there was an angry dude with multiple firearms. Don't you think that should have triggered a search?