The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shady cap circumvention in Toronto

Rate this topic

Slegr

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Also if Toronto and Tampa can "get away with it', the least the league can do is void the last year of Loungo's recapture penalty.

Not that I disagree but how do you make that argument? Not really Apples to Apples though it should be. 

In all honesty it's the type of thing I would expect any good GM to do as long as it was within the rules at the time...... Ehem Cough.  

Edited by hammertime

21 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Doesn't seem much different than how the Canucks managed the cap in 2011.  If memory serves correct, they had a bunch of guys recover just in time for the playoffs.

A bunch of guys? Who would they be?

22 minutes ago, Slegr said:

A bunch of guys? Who would they be?

Now you're taxing my memory.  Salo for sure.  I think Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis all lost a stack of games each due to injury.  I recall wondering at the time how they were going to make the cap work but someone always seemed to get injured just as another guy was coming back.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Doesn't seem much different than how the Canucks managed the cap in 2011.  If memory serves correct, they had a bunch of guys recover just in time for the playoffs.

Sam Salo comes to mind

Hardly surprising that it happens, and like others said Vancouver uses it too, eg. with Ferland, Beagle and Petey on LTIR so Vancouver could afford Hamonic this past off-season.  In fact, if you check Capfriendly, we're currently at 4th highest in salary cap at $86,019,565 (only behind TB's monstrous $98.7 million, St Louis at $90 million and NYI at $88 million).  Toronto is at $84.16 million, still in the upper 1/3 of the league but less than VAN (we also have more than $8 million in LTIR).  

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

People kidding themselves if they think the NHL is going to take action against it's self-anointed flagship franchise. 

They didn’t take action when the Calgary Flames deliberately iced a roster less than the mandated size a number of years back.  They were at the cap limit and had a number of guys injured.  They couldn’t call up anyone nor activate anybody (the nature of some of the injured players were not as bad as forcing to put those guys on LITR). 

Not a single peep from the league.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

People kidding themselves if they think the NHL is going to take action against it's self-anointed flagship franchise. 

There would be a quick/easy solution to this - anyone on LTIR that doesn't return by the last 10 games of the regular season (or pick whatever number you feel reasonable) is thereby ineligible to return to active status (regular season or post-season) until the following regular season - watch these 'injured' players get healed right fast. 

Have you written any Georgia voting bills lately? That solution would punish teams that might have a legit late season injury. It's trying to fix a problem that just needs the NHL to enforce the rules they already have.

But back to Toronto, there's no way to enforce this kind of thing down to the day. There will always be some leeway, and rollerblading is not 60 minutes in an NHL net stopping pucks. Players are only off LTI once they're medically cleared *and*roughly back to game fitness. If the Leafs (and Tampa for that matter, but Kucherov's injury is a little tougher to say he's cleared) continue to push the limit, then the NHL should step in, but I don't think the NHL can definitively prove anything at this point to be able to punish the Leafs.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They didn’t take action when the Calgary Flames deliberately iced a roster less than the mandated size a number of years back.  They were at the cap limit and had a number of guys injured.  They couldn’t call up anyone nor activate anybody (the nature of some of the injured players were not as bad as forcing to put those guys on LITR). 

Not a single peep from the league.

I thought they imposed a minimum roster size after that incident