The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shady cap circumvention in Toronto

Rate this topic

Slegr

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It's trying to fix a problem that just needs the NHL to enforce the rules they already have.

Except there are no rules - or more accurately the rules are so vague that they can be easily manipulated and seemingly only enforced at some random NHL suit's discretion - which isn't fair to those franchises who do not abuse the system. 

Similar to F1, I hope teams can file complaints against other teams circumventing the rule book. Speculation is enough to warrant an investigation to be launched. Would be interesting if it were allowed. Can't say i have gone through the NHL rulebook in terms of stuff like this.

16 hours ago, Lancaster said:

As much as I want to hate TML for doing this.... the Canucks did the same back in 2011.  

IIRC, Edler was out for most of the 2nd half of the season and returned just in time for Game 1 against Chicago.  

Was there cap shenanigans going on at the time, or was it just a matter of keeping him out of meaningless games, since they have already cinched the President's Trophy?

Also. perhaps you have the wrong year, as Edler played at least the last two games of the 2010/11 season.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, Fanuck said:

People kidding themselves if they think the NHL is going to take action against it's self-anointed flagship franchise. 

Isn't the Hockey Hall of Shame located there too?

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:20 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Its so obvious the only way out of this for Toronto is to circumvent the cap. Just like it was with Tampa Bay.

The NHL selectively enforcing cap circumvention penalties is so NHL. I'm sure Toronto & Tampa won't face any kind of punishment, or even warning, whatsoever.

NHL needs to make some kind of amendment to the hard cap to allow teams some flexibility, whether it be a 'franchise tag' or a minor cap discount on drafted players. 

Lol and we have the Luongo cap recapture penalty while Hossa retires due to equipment allergies despite playing hockey his entire life

On 4/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, Kragar said:

Was there cap shenanigans going on at the time, or was it just a matter of keeping him out of meaningless games, since they have already cinched the President's Trophy?

Also. perhaps you have the wrong year, as Edler played at least the last two games of the 2010/11 season.

I believe he's talking about Salo. 

He got underbridged by Marchand and took the year off while we were at the cap. 

I'm pretty sure the league knew what MG was doing and that's why they put the screws with the Luongo penalty

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol and we have the Luongo cap recapture penalty while Hossa retires due to equipment allergies despite playing hockey his entire life

His condition appeared out of nowhere later in his playing career and got worse over time.  He was taking medication that had so many adverse effects that he had to get his blood tested every 2 weeks.  He couldn’t even hold his kids anymore with his skin peeling off.

His last season he had 26 goals.  Chicago finished top of the West.  In that off-season they traded Panarin for cap reasons.  If they ever suspected Hossa had to retire you’d think they wouldn’t have traded him.  It was also only 2 seasons into those mega contracts for Kane and Toews.  Doubt they ever expected a rebuilt at that stage of those contracts.  Chicago hasn’t made the playoffs since his retirement (but got lucky they went to 24 teams for the bubbles).

His retirement didn’t benefit Chicago.  He wanted to retire but Chicago convinced him to go on LTIR because of the recapture penalties.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

His condition appeared out of nowhere later in his playing career and got worse over time.  He was taking medication that had so many adverse effects that he had to get his blood tested every 2 weeks.  He couldn’t even hold his kids anymore with his skin peeling off.

His last season he had 26 goals.  Chicago finished top of the West.  In that off-season they traded Panarin for cap reasons.  If they ever suspected Hossa had to retire you’d think they wouldn’t have traded him.  It was also only 2 seasons into those mega contracts for Kane and Toews.  Doubt they ever expected a rebuilt at that stage of those contracts.  Chicago hasn’t made the playoffs since his retirement (but got lucky they went to 24 teams for the bubbles).

His retirement didn’t benefit Chicago.  He wanted to retire but Chicago convinced him to go on LTIR because of the recapture penalties.

Oh wow

Thanks for providing some context. 

Didn't realize that he was actually suffering

On 4/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, DeltaSwede said:

Similar to F1, I hope teams can file complaints against other teams circumventing the rule book. Speculation is enough to warrant an investigation to be launched. Would be interesting if it were allowed. Can't say i have gone through the NHL rulebook in terms of stuff like this.

If you want to find a culprit you don't ask for an inquiry. You ask for Special Branch. Lol. 

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I believe he's talking about Salo. 

He got underbridged by Marchand and took the year off while we were at the cap. 

I'm pretty sure the league knew what MG was doing and that's why they put the screws with the Luongo penalty

When was this?  If you are talking 2010/11, like the guy I quoted, Sami played from Feb onwards that year (that's when his season started, after tearing his Achiles in the summer), so it's not like he finally felt better on game 1 of the playoffs when the roster restriction is lifted.

Marchand got suspended for a low hit on Salo in January 2012, but Salo only missed a couple weeks.

Unless I am missing something, we're not talking apples to apples, and I don't see how anything was circumvented here.

However, deep in the back of my mind, I seem to recall something fishy the Canucks did, so maybe you are on to something, somewhere.

15 hours ago, mll said:

Though at the same time luongo was definitely a candidate for LTIR, i really wish we could have traded a late round pick just to let him go on LTIR for us.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, Kragar said:

I cant remember specifically which players were involved but there was definitely this kind of cap circumvention going on where a player would magically get injured and go on ltir just as another was cleared to play. I know it revolved around being able to fit all of Hamhuis, Erhoff, Bieksa, Edker, Salo, and Ballard on the roster.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:58 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I do not want to talk about The Leafs or Tampa Bay and their cheating

The league approves and it is just BS

I'm pretty sure we did this in 2011. All our defensemen miraculously became healthy come playoff time LOL.

I seem to recall a graphic that said that VAN didn't have a single game out of 82 that season where all defensemen were "healthy," so I think it's too much of a coincidence that they all became healthy before the 83rd game.