The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]. Zadorov in Chicago.. may not stick .

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Zadorov isn't gonna get more than 3.2 from the Hawks and I doubt Seattle would pick him. He's a good 5th D at best.

I'd trade Virtanen and his 2.55M for Zadorov if he agreed to sign a 1-2 year deal at 3.2M. Both players could use a change in scenery.

Only way I do it. 

I think Zadorov would sign for less,.  I beleive Chicago has to qualify him at the same rate??

but he could potentially sign for less if traded.

Use Jake’s 2.5 for Zadorov.

From Edlers 6m

sign  Tryamkin 2m x 2

add  1.5m to Hamonics 1.25 

sign  Hamonic at 2.75m

Leaving 2.5 for Edler or someone else

33 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like Zadorov as a player, I just don't see the fit. 

I need my bi focals,.  Did you say fit or hit ?

he’s a great shutdown D man, one hit usualy ends the play and creates the turnover, more successful than a stick check usually,

it takes a lot of attention away from the play.. and creates apprehension amongst most opponents if executed properly.

No real statistic for it other than “hit” unfortunately.

it’s bigger than that.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

he’s a great shutdown D man, one hit usualy ends the play and creates the turnover, more successful than a stick check usually,

it takes a lot of attention away from the play.. and creates apprehension amongst most opponents if executed properly.

it’s bigger than that.

Sold!

Some of those were big boys he was laying out.  I don't care that he isn't a fighter, if he can make a few forwards think more about their health than making fancy plays in our zone that is good enough for me.

Him, Tryamkin, and Myers would complement the smaller/skilled guys in Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone, Juolevi.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

it’s bigger than that.

Just don't see the room. Posted this elsewhere but as of now we have 8 legit options (for 6 spots) just within our organization.

Hughes

Schmidt

Myers

Juolevi

Edler

Hamonic

Tryamkin

Rathbone

I guess you could let 2 of Edler/Hamonic/Tryamkin go. And put Rathbone in the AHL. But is Zadorov even a better player/fit than Hamonic? I don't know.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Sold!

Some of those were big boys he was laying out.  I don't care that he isn't a fighter, if he can make a few forwards think more about their health than making fancy plays in our zone that is good enough for me.

Him, Tryamkin, and Myers would complement the smaller/skilled guys in Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone, Juolevi.

There’s a possibility we could even keep Edler in our midsts,

not losing any D fence progression from the Farm.

as I quoted earlier..

Trade Jake ( & possibly Breisbois) for rights

to Zadorov RFA

Use Jake’s 2.5 for Zadorov.

From Edlers 6m

sign  Tryamkin 2m x 2

sign  Hamonic at 2.75m

Leaving 2.5 for Edler or someone else 

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just don't see the room. Posted this elsewhere but as of now we have 8 legit options (for 6 spots) just within our organization.

Hughes

Schmidt

Myers

Juolevi

Edler

Hamonic

Tryamkin

Rathbone

I guess you could let 2 of Edler/Hamonic/Tryamkin go. And put Rathbone in the AHL. But is Zadorov even a better player/fit than Hamonic? I don't know.

Drop Edlers games into half

Joulevi and Rathbone can each do the same..

I don’t see why Rathbone would not be on a 2 way until waiver eligible.

This just ensures a natural progression over the next 2 years.

my honest opinion is Edler dosent need to come back.

we need to move on. As we have from Tanev.

I’ve said this many times,.  We have to stop hanging on to players for Ceremonial  Reasons,.  We have a tendency in this City to hang on to players past there best before date , It’s been killing us for years.

Now with some good D prospects NEEDING to show, Tryamkin, Joulevi, Rathbone, Raferty , Breisbois, Woo, next Jurmo..

they need to know there is, and deserve their chance at progression in this franchise.

Edited by SilentSam

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Zadorov would sign for less,.  I beleive Chicago has to qualify him at the same rate??

but he could potentially sign for less if traded.

Use Jake’s 2.5 for Zadorov.

From Edlers 6m

sign  Tryamkin 2m x 2

sign  Hamonic at 2.75m

Leaving 2.5 for Edler or someone else

How does that work? If an RFAs rights are traded, surely the new team still has to make a QO? I think VAN would need to offer him $3.2m right?

But I like the idea of Zadorov. We need to move on from Edler and we could use a big, young, defense-first guy to pair with Schmidt to take on hard minutes. It should be good for Podz & Tram to have another Russian in the team.

Forums I have read recently seem to be suggesting Zadorov's value is around a 2nd round pick, or maybe a 3rd + 4th. I think Juolevi + Virtanen should get the deal done.

D corps:

Zadorov Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Tryamkin Myers

(Rathbone)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

How does that work? If an RFAs rights are traded, surely the new team still has to make a QO? I think VAN would need to offer him $3.2m right?

But I like the idea of Zadorov. We need to move on from Edler and we could use a big, young, defense-first guy to pair with Schmidt to take on hard minutes. It should be good for Podz & Tram to have another Russian in the team.

Forums I have read recently seem to be suggesting Zadorov's value is around a 2nd round pick, or maybe a 3rd + 4th. I think Juolevi + Virtanen should get the deal done.

D corps:

Zadorov Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Tryamkin Myers

(Rathbone)

Not sure how it works,  I was thinking we could qualify him after the trade, ( discussions to take place before).    So first year 3.2m - 2nd year **1.8 m  ...  (avg cap 2m per).

** hypothetical.

Gotta be a way.   Love to understand how something like this could work as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 12:10 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

With Tryamkin out of the picture I would go hard after Zadorov.  We need more size and physicality on the backend.  Not sure how he would fit as he is a left hand D.  I wouldn't be opposed to moving Juolevi to get Zadorov.  Juolevi I think is going to take the next step but with Rathbone looking like a star in the making I think I would prefer a bigger, more physical Dman on the left side to complement Hughes and Rathbone.  You can pair Zadorov with Schmidt, Rathbone and Myers and Hughes with someone like David Savard.  That would give you a nice mixture of speed, skill, size and physicality.

I actually like the sound of that. There would be some juggling to do to make the cap work, but Zadorov at 3.2-3.5 million would be an effective replacement for Edler, even if it would take exchanging Juolevi to do it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

If they don’t qualify him, getting him on a cheaper deal could make sense for us… though with so many teams losing a D in expansion, he could actually get a decent offer.

We have the small shifty guys already in Hughes and Rathbone… some complementary bruisers are fine for us.

Imagine a balanced D like:

Hughes-Hamonic

Zadorov-Ristolainen

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi-Bowie

Decent size, speed, skill, toughness when you put it all together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, SilentSam said:

All speculation of course,  but could you imagine having the likes of Tryamkin and Zadorov on the same team ?

Nice to note the The Blackhawks were the last team we talked to regarding the interaction / trade we did for Highmore.

Sorry I couldn’t paste the link for some reason,    But it’s an interesting read :

Latest On Nikita Zadorov, Chicago Blackhawks

April 20th, 2021 at 8:30pm CST • By Zach Leach

The Chicago Blackhawks were reportedly listening to offers for defenseman Nikita Zadorov at the NHL Trade Deadline, but ultimately decided not to move him. However, that doesn’t mean that the two sides will stay together for much longer. As Ben Pope writesfor the Chicago Sun-Times, the Blackhawks have dropped some hints that they are not content with the big blue liner and time is running out for him to prove himself.

Zadorov, 25, is in his first season in Chicago after coming over from the Colorado Avalanche in the Brandon Saad trade this past off-season. The Blackhawks hoped that Zadorov would step into a lineup that was missing many difference-makers on the back end and would transform into a bona fide top pair defenseman. While Zadorov has still been impressive as a physical force and solid defender, there has not been much else to praise about Zadorov’s game this season. He has been firmly entrenched as a second-pair defender in terms of time on ice, is fifth in defensive scoring and even lower in per-game production, and is on pace for a career-high in giveaways, even in a shortened season. Zadorov has merely continued to play the same role in Chicago as he did in Colorado, that of a complementary stay-at-home defenseman. While that is not without value, it isn’t what was expected of the 2013 first-round pick and may not be worth the cost to the Blackhawks. The team has not-so-subtly expressed their frustration recently, acquiring a younger and similar style of defender in Riley Stillman and then making Zadorov a healthy scratch on deadline day after discussing him with other teams beforehand.

This off-season, Zadorov presents a number of challenges to Chicago. The impending restricted free agent will need a new contract, which at a minimum will require a $3.2MM qualifying offer. However, despite his underwhelming effort this season, Zadorov can probably argue for making more than that and has the option to file for arbitration to support that claim. The problem for the Blackhawks is that they have very few contracts coming off the books this off-season and are projected to have limited cap flexibility to make other moves. Retaining Zadorov at a higher number even further reduces that cap space without making a material change to their roster, which is only a fringe playoff team this season. A potential arbitration case makes using their cap space even more problematic. If the relatively young blue liner demands a long-term deal as well, that becomes an issue with a number of young players already pushing for play time. Beyond the actual contract, the only way that Chicago can ensure that they even retain Zadorov’s RFA rights beyond July 21 is to protect him in the upcoming NHL Expansion Draft. With Duncan Keith and Connor Murphy as virtual locks to be protecting, adding Zadorov to that group would mean exposing valuable veteran Calvin de Haan and the recently-acquired Stillman. Yet, if they don’t protect Zadorov he could very easily be selected and lost for nothing.

In order to avoid a difficult expansion decision and possible contract battle and arbitration case, the Blackhawks may decide to re-ignite trade talks for Zadorov once their season has come to an end. Until then, Pope notes that Zadorov will be given every chance to prove that he is worthy of a longer look in Chicago. With de Haan and Adam Boqvist currently injured and the Blackhawks fighting for a playoff spot, Zadorov has the chance to step up and finally show that he can be a complete top-four defenseman. If he succeeds, perhaps all of the off-season issues fall by the wayside in favor of keeping a rare physical specimen and good young defender at all costs. However, if he falters then the partnership between the Blackhawks and Zadorov could be coming to an end sooner rather than later.

I’d be willing to take a flier on Zadorov.   Unlike Chicago, the Canucks shouldn’t have to worry if Zadorov is nothing more than a 2nd pairing stay at home defenseman that provides a solid physical presence.   

I don’t know if Chicago would be interested in a Roussel for Zadorov swap but I’d easily do that.  Or a pick/mid prospect of some kind.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I’d be willing to take a flier on Zadorov.   Unlike Chicago, the Canucks shouldn’t have to worry if Zadorov is nothing more than a 2nd pairing stay at home defenseman that provides a solid physical presence.   

I don’t know if Chicago would be interested in a Roussel for Zadorov swap but I’d easily do that.  Or a pick/mid prospect of some kind.

Of course the expansion (extorsion) draft may offer Chicago other options with Zadorov.

But it is that size and mobility of D man that the Canucks miss.

• Cheers 2

On 6/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, Provost said:

If they don’t qualify him, getting him on a cheaper deal could make sense for us… though with so many teams losing a D in expansion, he could actually get a decent offer.

We have the small shifty guys already in Hughes and Rathbone… some complementary bruisers are fine for us.

Imagine a balanced D like:

Hughes-Hamonic

Zadorov-Ristolainen

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi-Bowie

Decent size, speed, skill, toughness when you put it all together.

Where did schmidt go?

• Cheers 1

I’d be ok with him being the guy to mentor Podkolzin and take him under his wing. The style of play Podkolzin plays with will definitely draw a lot of attention and having a big 6’7 Russian behind his back would probably go a long way. 
I’d offer Virtanen or a cap dump and pick/prospect. Would add snarl to the back end and he would be my Edler replacement. 
Re-sign Hamonic and with Myers we would have some size to go along with skill. 

Next offseason go hard for a top RHD and if you draft a McTavish the team could really take shape from there. Same with almost any forward rated to go top 9 this year, or Dman! 
Exciting offseason for sure but I think this guy is our Podkolzin security blanket that can fill a massive role on and off the ice. 

Edited by KyGuy123

18 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Is Zadorov any good? I don’t know much about him. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Is Zadorov any good? I don’t know much about him. 

He was coming into his own in Colorado but seemed to struggle in Chicago for some reason.  From reports, it seems like ChicGo had higher expectations from him in turns of NZ being able to play a more two way game as opposed to the stay-at-home style that he’d been playing throughout his career.

Zadorov is big, mean, and physical, but don’t expect much offense from him.......which I don’t mind as long as he can play the defensive and physical conscience guys like Hughes and Schmidt.   Like a Tanev replacement in terms of that 2nd pairing stay at home type guy.