The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

But you seem to concentrate on drafting and drafting is a team effort. 
I’m more interested in what Benning has done beside that bit of the organisation.

Timråfan, every single GM in the league has their own strength and possibly weaknesses... And the fact that Benning has drafted well above, what we have been used to see here, is definitely a major strength. but its not the only thing he has done here...please see Jesters response below...Add to that, from the top of my head, moves for Vanek, 2xMiller, Dorsett, Motte, Myers, Schmidt etc... none of them drafting... 

On a side note, used to read a lot of posters suggesting Benning should be head of scouting etc... Why would Benning leave a position as assistant GM to Boston to become a head of scout again? Things take time, and when you have very little it takes even longer. And watching Canucks getting screwed in every lottery ever done, it hardly going to make it easier.... Not going into the chicken/egg discussion again, about helping youngsters out by over playing for decent players, when you are a rebuilding team.

45 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Such as create the drafting culture, creating the culture of character and compete, growing the close relationship with the farm team, letting Cloutier go and hiring Clark, rebuilding an entire team and prospect pool in only 7 years, and, yes, drafting an elite core at every important position with a potentially elite supporting cast? These sorts of managerial moves?

Good Call Jester... This is exactly part of the things Benning has done...

Edited by spook007
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

That ship set sail long ago.

Lol.   I don't mind fans that aren't behind JB.  But i do mind that fans that are totally blind as far as expectations go.  As far as our team goes we are above average given the cycle.   Quite a bit really.  SJ, DET and Van won the most games over the last core's time period.   More then CHI and PIT.    SJ re-tool worked, ours didn't.   DET is already letting some of their core players go - bye bye Mantha, and SJ is f!cked and won't see a competitive team for a long long long time now given they went all in our their re-tool, blew their load, and have zero in the pipe for years now (30th) this year lol.     To me these are the comps.   Which team would you rather have right now?     JB is not perfect but he has done enough not to deserve a stupid plane flying over town and the Dim Jim bs.   Drafting is the key metric.  Only CHI won their last year with their new core carrying the mail so it's almost not a window at all.   Look at any team in the league ... and you will find a few contracts that are not very good.     Doesn't make it ok.   But it does provide perspective.     He's a top third of the ledge executive overall.   

• Cheers 2

Good grief.   From where i'm sitting an average GM would be fired by now, we'd have Ehlers, Glass, Bouchard and nobody where BB was.  Maybe Valardi too.   I spend a lot of time looking at what's coming next, JB has drafted Podz the only pick so far that I hoped to pick, because i felt he could slip.    Don't understand why a few loud posters are do butt hurt over having to wait four years for a playoff run.   Given that we had nothing to start with .,... it's a lot better the I thought it would be.   Personally i haven't been this excited about a team since the early 90's.    We don't have the vets we had back then, but we have more new guys then we had back then, and that's exactly what you need in the cap world.   Eastern news is all props and rosey and envy towards the Canucks the last two years.    Because we have one of the best group of young guns in the league.  Yes we have cap issues....funny thing several GMs have said if you don't your not trying hard enough ..

Also our best window is when EP/QHs are 26-32.    Sure we have a window before that too.   With the current team mostly.   But it's not the real window.   Naslund and the Sedins say hello. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Timråfan said:

The scouting staff that got us Petey isn't with us anymore... And if Brackett was essential for Hughes we don't have that scout either. 

I think the scouting staff that brought Pete to JB's attention live in Sweden.  His name is Thomas Gradin.  Remember him?

Hughes falling in the draft was the essential part of his # picked.  It was a no-brainer.

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think the scouting staff that brought Pete to JB's attention live in Sweden.  His name is Thomas Gradin.  Remember him?

Hughes falling in the draft was the essential part of his # picked.  It was a no-brainer.

Ron Delorme was the scout that pushed hard for Pettersson, and Timrafan conveniently glosses over that constantly 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Inge Hammarström is before Gradin and Inge was almost religious about Petey.

But Thomas was probably second. 
Thomas played for Modo before.

Timrå and Modo is like Canucks versus Flames. 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ron Delorme was the scout that pushed hard for Pettersson, and Timrafan conveniently glosses over that constantly 

You gloss over everything about that Inge Hammarström played for and lived in Timrå. 
Inge still has a house here.

The scout with the contacts here is Inge.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Inge Hammarström is before Gradin and Inge was almost religious about Petey.

But Thomas was probably second. 
Thomas played for Modo before.

Timrå and Modo is like Canucks versus Flames. 

I mentioned Gradin because he is the head of scouting in Sweden for the Canucks, so he would have been filling them on Pete.

I think @canuck73_3 is correct about Delorme pushing for Pete in Vancouver.  It really had nothing to do with Brackett (as you implied).

24 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I mentioned Gradin because he is the head of scouting in Sweden for the Canucks, so he would have been filling them on Pete.

I think @canuck73_3 is correct about Delorme pushing for Pete in Vancouver.  It really had nothing to do with Brackett (as you implied).

Neither Delorme or Brackett was the push for Petey. I said it often here that Inge is the one that pushed hardest and had followed Petey almost from the start. 
without Inge Delormes focus had been on another player.

If Inge was in another organisation, that team had taken Petey. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Neither Delorme or Brackett was the push for Petey. I said it often here that Inge is the one that pushed hardest and had followed Petey almost from the start. 

fairytales.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kuzma-ron-delorme-delivered-first-hard-sell-to-get-elias-pettersson-on-canucks-draft-radar

https://www.saltwire.com/nova-scotia/sports/football/ed-willes-in-picking-pettersson-canucks-prove-you-cant-lose-them-all-at-draft-430163/

the second link explicitly states that brackett and hammarstrom were dispatched to scout pettersson AFTER Delorme put him on the team's radar.

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

The real rebuild started after the Sedin's left. Those were huge contracts to fill. And a long fading swan song as tribute to the twins. A bit too long IMHO. 2017-2018 was their last pay checks.  (With LE on their coattails). 

Nice try but no cigar. That's a lot of rebuild money we had to wait patiently for. Since 2018, that barely leaves 2 seasons for JB to change the V8 in this beast. And we're lucky he drafted Q and EP. And Podz. I'm looking forward to redoing the bottom 6 and adding Podz to the forwards and then Tryamkin to stabilize our bottom 6 defenseman (and an extra PK).

Q and EP will mature. Hopefully our 2 young stars will take a similar bridge deal 3x6, which will lead them to their star power contracts. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

False. 

15 hours ago, Josepho said:

Literally longer than most GM's tenures.

I mean if we're splitting hairs, it's actually been 6 years.  

Who cares how long it's been, if you've been a fan of the team you would've seen the progression.  

We just witnessed the fourth most successful Canucks playoffs EVER and people are panicking over a down year during the Covid-shortened season.  

F the squeaky wheel. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

False. 

Wasn't it Thomas Gradin?  

Regardless, who cares which specific scout mentioned him, they all work under Benning and Benning gives them clear instructions on what traits they value and how to put their reports together and look at all of them as an entirety.  

People that hate Jim Benning are grasping at straws if they're trying to undermine his drafting.