The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

Green should go not matter if JB leaves or not, just look at Greens winning record since AHL etc. he aint a top coach just mediocre.

I’m hoping we extend Greener.  The boys play hard for him, and that’s what’s most important about the head coach.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tas said:

really? is taj a source now? who are his connections, eklund and the pauser?

edit: and dhaliwal hadn't had sources in ages since his loose lips sunk his ship. 

NICE TRY BUCKAROO 

image.thumb.png.e32aa9fd996b66463ae80a8411e563a3.png

Edited by awalk
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m hoping we extend Greener.  The boys play hard for him, and that’s what’s most important about the head coach.  

Playing for him with the wrong coaching tactics aint leading to wins. Wins are all that matters in the end. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, awalk said:

NICE TRY BUCKAROO 

image.thumb.png.e32aa9fd996b66463ae80a8411e563a3.png

I had read dhaliwal in there before replying originally but wanted to qualify in my post why i was discounting him. :P

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I had read dhaliwal in there before replying originally but wanted to qualify in my post why i was discounting him. :P

(E5) :frantic:

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, tas said:

the guy has a face for radio, a voice for print, and a brain for neither. 

"obviously an individual whose IQ is probably the size of a bird seed and he’s got a face that only a mother could look at."

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"obviously an individual whose IQ is probably the size of a bird seed and he’s got a face that only a mother could look at."

oh av. I miss the sense of calm confidence he brought. 

that said, i felt bad for him with that response to bolland. don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that he said it, it was just a real cringey insult attempt. I could have laid such a better burn! I wanted it to be scathing but it was just kinda weak.

I wonder if it was a situation where it sounded better in french in his head or something ... if he still thinks in french, that is.

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Sekeres chimed in JT Miller was a bad trade... only a complete fool would have thought that then or now and look how many jumped on that boat only to end up eating crow after JT kept up to Petey in the nux scoring derby last year. Sekeres, just one of our local idiot media, not like there's a shortage or fans who follow them like blind sheep... 

Sekeres' embarrassing Miller is a "cap dump" take loaded the Van social media echo-chamber.

Lots of low hanging fruit in Vancouver, as easy to wind up as a kid's toy.

Toy Monkey GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Prompted a Lightning executive to wonder, publicly, wtf was going on in the Van media market.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2
39 minutes ago, tas said:

oh av. I miss the sense of calm confidence he brought. 

that said, i felt bad for him with that response to bolland. don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that he said it, it was just a real cringey insult attempt. I could have laid such a better burn! I wanted it to be scathing but it was just kinda weak.

I wonder if it was a situation where it sounded better in french in his head or something ... if he still thinks in french, that is.

I found it appropriately understated.  

Was Bolland worth more effort?  Not really

I kind of liked that AV shot from the hip - perhaps a relatively mild burn, yes - but not a lot of thought required.  Bolland's comments were juvenile, meathead material - the bar was low.

Posted (edited)

Green has to go.

He is not an NHL caliber coach.

Watch the Florida/Tampa series and you'll see NHL caliber coaches going head to head.

Watch how their systems work.

Quennville is probably either the best coach in the league or top 5.

Why the Hawks fired him is beyond me... unless they wanted to save money.  Firing a guy with a 452–249–96 record doesn't make a lot of sense.

Canucks should have grabbed him as soon as he was available.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • RoughGame 1
55 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Green has to go.

He is not an NHL caliber coach.

Watch the Florida/Tampa series and you'll see NHL caliber coaches going head to head.

Watch how their systems work.

Quennville is probably either the best coach in the league or top 5.

Why the Hawks fired him is beyond me... unless they wanted to save money.  Firing a guy with a 452–249–96 record doesn't make a lot of sense.

Canucks should have grabbed him as soon as he was available.

Green took a middling team and got them 1 game away from the Conference Finals 10 months ago. I know a lot has happened since then but he did get that team to overperform and in the process that team he coached somehow broke the will of Vegas in that playoff run (thanks to Demko). Green's an NHL caliber coach, no need to slander him like this. He just wasn't given a playoff worthy team this year and we all know it.

My theory has been that I believe Benning and Weisbrod are going to be fired after they complete the season. They're then going to let the new GM or President of Hockey Operations or whatever pick whatever coach they want. With no coach on the books, it's a fresh start for the new management group. And maybe Green comes back, most likely they'll go with somebody new.

I do suspect Green will get a new NHL head coaching job this summer if not retained by Vancouver. I expect Anaheim (where he almost got the job back in 2016), Seattle, Columbus, and New York to look into Green and he will definitely interview. Seattle and Columbus feel like likely landing spots for him.

My hope is that the Canucks hire Jim Rutherford. Rutherford has 3 Stanley Cups as GM (2 in Pittsburgh, 1 in Carolina) and I feel like he's the kind of guy who could retool this team in no time -- especially when you have young stars to build around -- which the Canucks do. He'll be ruthless with his trades but it'll be needed. He's also the kind of management figure that has enough clout that he can tell the Aquilini's to piss off if they interfere too much. (Again, Rutherford has 3 Stanley Cups and the Aquilini's have none). He'd also be able to groom a natural successor which may be key to the Canucks 10 year plan with this current core. This team needs a GM with some experience and most importantly some cache to do things his way and that's something the Canucks haven't truly had since the Pat Quinn/Brian Burke days.

• Hydration 1

Years ago the question was: Can the Vancouver market handle a rebuild?  

Everybody said "Why yes of course!"  

This year it's clear that the answer was no.  People are screaming that the sky is falling at the first sign of trouble.  

This whole banner flying by the "Canuck fans" is just an embarrassment.  It's the same type of idiots that are taking pictures of Benning in a supermarket and posting them online.  You think that someone like Jim Rutherford or Dean Lombardi are looking at it and that it somehow makes this market more attractive to them?  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Years ago the question was: Can the Vancouver market handle a rebuild?  

Everybody said "Why yes of course!"  

This year it's clear that the answer was no.  People are screaming that the sky is falling at the first sign of trouble.  

This whole banner flying by the "Canuck fans" is just an embarrassment.  It's the same type of idiots that are taking pictures of Benning in a supermarket and posting them online.  You think that someone like Jim Rutherford or Dean Lombardi are looking at it and that it somehow makes this market more attractive to them?  

This year, nor any other of Bennings tenure, is or has been a rebuild year.

Thats why people are flying banners and calling for his head.

Its not the first sign of trouble. Not by a longshot. The team has largely been $&!# for 7 years. 

Many people have been calling for an actual rebuild, not this accidental "my retool faceplanted so &^@#ing hard that I got to pick high" retool.

Letting a bunch of UFA walk for nothing to attempt t squeak into the playoffs every year is not what actual rebuilding teams do. Trading your top center prospect and a 2nd to rent a guy for a habdful of games? Ya thats not what rebuilding teams do either.

This city has wanted a proper rebuild since 2013 

• RoughGame 1
On 5/16/2021 at 1:39 AM, Timråfan said:

Well, missing the play off this year wasn’t smart. 
The reason for that was that Benning spends every cap dollar he can.

we all know that the window opens after Loui/Luongo is off the books but why sabotage the years before?

The reason for that:   hell schedule, followed by Petey injured/out, followed by the COVID variant ripping through the team.  I don't feel that Marky, Tanev or Toffoli would have changed the outcome much.

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not the first sign of trouble. Not by a longshot. The team has largely been $&!# for 7 years. 

Many people have been calling for an actual rebuild, not this accidental "my retool faceplanted so &^@#ing hard that I got to pick high" retool.

Letting a bunch of UFA walk for nothing to attempt t squeak into the playoffs every year is not what actual rebuilding teams do. Trading your top center prospect and a 2nd to rent a guy for a habdful of games? Ya thats not what rebuilding teams do either.

Starting in 2017 we traded away Burrows, Hansen, Vanek and a whole bunch of nobodies.  That was the beginning of the rebuild when it was clear that our 100 point regular season was just a one-of.  

Right now is the first sign of trouble on our way back up the standings.  We bottomed out in terms of results and on-ice product back in 2016-17.  Have you forgotten our 2016-17 roster that featured gems such as Borna Rendulic, Joseph Labate, Michael Chaput, Cramarossa, Gaunce, Grenier, Bachman, Megna, Molino, etc? 

We have not tried squeaking into the playoffs until last season when we had a team that was good enough and it was well worth the price.  

"Our top center prospect"...  you mean Tyler Madden, the undersized late round pick that has 1 goal and 4 assists in 14 AHL games this year?  What does that make Gadjovich by comparison, Brett Hull?  

Our team is going to rebound next year and it doesn't matter if Benning is here for it or not.  95% of the players on our roster will be Benning drafted/acquired players. 

You can thank the ownership for the years between 2013-2017.  They were the ones that insisted on Torts being hired against our GM's better judgment.  I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to max out their playoff revenue in those years either, but I have no basis to back that claim up....  then again the FireBenning crowd never backs anything they say up.  

• Hydration 2
  • Sedinery 1
13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I, for one, wanted a total rebuild when the regime changed.  Also wanted them to trade all the old vets (Sedins, etc) and get whatever they could.

However, if FA wasn't going to budge in selling the old Vets and wanted one more kick at the cup with the Sedins, what's JB supposed to do??

And if the owner feels that they need to make progress and get into the playoffs, do you tell him NO?  To stay the course of building through the draft?

Plus the Luongo recapture penalty sucks.  That's $3M that could have went to resigning Toffoli.  Canucks are just in a rough spot cap wise right now.