The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Fair enough. Should be interesting. Dreger is reporting that the "organization" is looking to bring in the Sedins in some capacity. Will they replace Brown? 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

18 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How would you feel if a group of people spent some money to fly a "Keep Benning" banner?

That is the real point. Its not what they did or how they did it you guys are personally judging amd insulting them for, its that they dont agree with your opinion on Benning. 

Posting Fire Benning on cdc is really no different than what they did, they just did it in a more brazen way. Their opinion is valid and it wasnt a personal attack on the guy it was just saying they think he should be fired.

I definitely do see the difference and its not a good look for the people here insulting people on a personal level.

that's such a broken equivalency. if they solicited money to fly a banner promoting the status quo I'd think they're idiots for entirely different reasons. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

that's such a broken equivalency. if they solicited money to fly a banner promoting the status quo I'd think they're idiots for entirely different reasons. 

How people spend their money is up to them though. It doesnt matter to anyone else. And its really no different than voicing your opinion any other way. Why people are so offended by a banner being flown is beyond me. Its literally no big deal.

They donated some of the money to charity so some good came of it in that sense. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How people spend their money is up to them though. It doesnt matter to anyone else. And its really no different than voicing your opinion any other way. Why people are so offended by a banner being flown is beyond me. Its literally no big deal.

They donated some of the money to charity so some good came of it in that sense. 

I'm not offended at all. like i said, I'm embarrassed for the organizers. 

so, just so we're clear, in your mind, me telling a friend of mine that I think you (YOU, wallstreetamigo) are terrible at your job, is no different than, say, gathering a group of 300 people outside your house demanding that you resign? they're both just different, equivalent expressions of the same opinion, right?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm not offended at all. like i said, I'm embarrassed for the organizers. 

so, just so we're clear, in your mind, me telling a friend of mine that I think you (YOU, wallstreetamigo) are terrible at your job, is no different than, say, gathering a group of 300 people outside your house demanding that you resign? they're both just different, equivalent expressions of the same opinion, right?

Protesting is legal as long as you dont step on my property or do anything illegal or harrass me. Standing outside my house with a fire WSA banner isnt illegal. 

I have long worked for myself though so you might have a tough time convincing my boss.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Protesting is legal as long as you dont step on my property or do anything illegal or harrass me. Standing outside my house with a fire WSA banner isnt illegal. 

I have long worked for myself though so you might have a tough time convincing my boss.

sigh. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You should apply that logic to your perspective on ownership

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

You should apply that logic to your perspective on ownership

I am fully aware that management can choose how they spend their money.

They have cut down to a bare bones front office of bargain decision makers which is their right to do. That doesnt mean its a good investment for them though.

The difference is I dont rely on a fanbase to give me my money to spend. If they want fans to spend money on them they have to be cognizant of that too.

On 5/17/2021 at 6:17 PM, oldnews said:

Sekeres' embarrassing Miller is a "cap dump" take loaded the Van social media echo-chamber.

Lots of low hanging fruit in Vancouver, as easy to wind up as a kid's toy.

Toy Monkey GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Prompted a Lightning executive to wonder, publicly, wtf was going on in the Van media market.

That sir, is pretty much it, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw JB snagged JT Miller, then you can imagine my shock, a first line player who could laser beam like Petey for under 7 mil? JT finished right there with Ovie in the scoring race all year, we stole him! I couldn't believe my eyes at the media and fans, like we just got a top line player, in the tail end of a rebuild and you f'n whining about it at that price? omfg!!! unbelievable... 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:12 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

This year, nor any other of Bennings tenure, is or has been a rebuild year.

Thats why people are flying banners and calling for his head.

Its not the first sign of trouble. Not by a longshot. The team has largely been $&!# for 7 years. 

Many people have been calling for an actual rebuild, not this accidental "my retool faceplanted so &^@#ing hard that I got to pick high" retool.

Letting a bunch of UFA walk for nothing to attempt t squeak into the playoffs every year is not what actual rebuilding teams do. Trading your top center prospect and a 2nd to rent a guy for a habdful of games? Ya thats not what rebuilding teams do either.

This city has wanted a proper rebuild since 2013 

Really? You can just tell agents that it doesn't matter about contractual law doesn't apply anymore and you can just randomly dump players, that would have been done in 2013 when we didn't have the size or depth to take on a team like the B's again anytime soon and honestly, you can thank the cap for that..  Just when we needed help it hit, hard! That stopped us cold from having another chance at it for MG to sign or trade for more depth on D and one more big "skilled" hard nosed 6'4 who could fight like nobody's business, to do what? stand up for the Sedins, instead of being "rat" bagged, so after that, it was all down hill and with a whole team locked up for large length contracts, to rebuild was impossible.. period...

And then try and make the team competitive as possible until their all gone so then to building a team around what you can get in the meantime, Petey, Demmer, Brock, Huggy, etc etc and then build on that, but there was a gap to just try and toughen us up and mentor the kids, and that happened, Bo stepped up like a beast last season, and so did most of the team in the players and nearly knocked off Vegas.. ummm hello? seriously? 

And we're so close now it's painful yeah, BUT I don't care if it's taken 10 years to get a real team together as long as they're considered a top team EVERY year, not just a cpl shots at it here and there in 40 years... suck it up! geeez at least JB is actually building, and because of good picks working out, we took down VGK almost.. again... relax... and the morons who flew the flag, oh their going to look stupid soon, this next season will be a lot better and then 2023? We should be right there, and at least 4-5 years after, finally! tired of the super "soft" seasonal team..  I don't care how it's gone, as long as it stays gone and no more selling the f'n farm.. no wonder we have no cup... 

24 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Really? You can just tell agents that it doesn't matter about contractual law doesn't apply anymore and you can just randomly dump players, that would have been done in 2013 when we didn't have the size or depth to take on a team like the B's again anytime soon and honestly, you can thank the cap for that..  Just when we needed help it hit, hard! That stopped us cold from having another chance at it for MG to sign or trade for more depth on D and one more big "skilled" hard nosed 6'4 who could fight like nobody's business, to do what? stand up for the Sedins, instead of being "rat" bagged, so after that, it was all down hill and with a whole team locked up for large length contracts, to rebuild was impossible.. period...

And then try and make the team competitive as possible until their all gone so then to building a team around what you can get in the meantime, Petey, Demmer, Brock, Huggy, etc etc and then build on that, but there was a gap to just try and toughen us up and mentor the kids, and that happened, Bo stepped up like a beast last season, and so did most of the team in the players and nearly knocked off Vegas.. ummm hello? seriously? 

And we're so close now it's painful yeah, BUT I don't care if it's taken 10 years to get a real team together as long as they're considered a top team EVERY year, not just a cpl shots at it here and there in 40 years... suck it up! geeez at least JB is actually building, and because of good picks working out, we took down VGK almost.. again... relax... and the morons who flew the flag, oh their going to look stupid soon, this next season will be a lot better and then 2023? We should be right there, and at least 4-5 years after, finally! tired of the super "soft" seasonal team..  I don't care how it's gone, as long as it stays gone and no more selling the f'n farm.. no wonder we have no cup... 

There is a lot to unpack here.

First, contractual law has nothing to do with it. SPC allow players to be traded, waived, bought out, etc. Subject to any clauses specifically added.

The ONLY reason the series against Vegas wasnt over in 5 is Demko. The only reason. Vegas dominated the Canucks in pretty much every way and no one other than Demko looked particularly outstanding.

Do you watch many other teams games? You should. It clarifues just how much our team is still super soft. No pushback, no consistent physical play, and not a lot of grit. Edler got speed bagged and give him credit he took it like a champ. But no pushback from the team at all was embarrassing. Nurse mugging MacEwan. Not even a facewash in a scrum from our team.

If this team wants to be competitive it not only needs better players, it needs an identity and heart.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, Quantum said:

Green took a middling team and got them 1 game away from the Conference Finals 10 months ago. I know a lot has happened since then but he did get that team to overperform and in the process that team he coached somehow broke the will of Vegas in that playoff run (thanks to Demko). Green's an NHL caliber coach, no need to slander him like this. He just wasn't given a playoff worthy team this year and we all know it.

Completely disagree.

The Canucks forwards and D underperformed under Green during the entirety of last year's regular season... the only reason they got into the playoffs was Markstrom standing on his head.

The team had plenty enough talent... they should have easily reached the playoffs...  Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Miller, Toffoli, Myers, Edler, Tanev etc. were plenty good enough.

But it wasn't until the team actually got into the post season they started to play up to their potential... and that wasn't due to Green's coaching... it was simply the team getting an emotional boost from their first playoff run and riding that... plus AGAIN, Markstrom standing on his head, with Demko filling in for the final three games.

Last year's team was actually better than what it achieved under Green.

This year's team is worse, because of Bennings poor trades and letting Free Agents walk without getting compensation.  For example, Nate Schmidt's signing was a huge mistake.  For the extra 1.5 million they paid for him over Tanev and the other wasted money on free agents the Canucks could have retained Tanev and signed Toffoli.

And Green of course, couldn't do anything with this years team... he showed he's incapable of elevating a mediocre team.

• RoughGame 1

The fire Benning sign being flown is a small group of nobodies putting out a public message without taking public credit for it.  In other words they made a public statement without identifying the 6 or 10 or 14 people behind it. The fact that they did it anonymously is an attempt to make it appear that  they were representing all Canuck fans.  That was their aim. It didn't represent the views of the majority of Canuck fans. But they wanted it to look like it did.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:37 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Should be interesting. Dreger is reporting that the "organization" is looking to bring in the Sedins in some capacity. Will they replace Brown? 

A s*** stain could replace Brown.

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

^ Schmidt was far from a mistake :picard:

That's why Tanev made him look like a fool in today's game when he stripped him of the puck left him marooned in the O-Zone and started a scoring play.

But yeah, paying $6 million for Schmidt over $4.5 million for Tanev was a brilliant move.

Vegas was so happy the Canucks took him off their hands... they couldn't meet the Cap with him there... not after picking up Pietrangelo as an FA.

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That's why Tanev made him look like a fool in today's game when he stripped him of the puck left him marooned in the O-Zone and started a scoring play.

But yeah, paying $6 million for Schmidt over $4.5 million for Tanev was a brilliant move.

Vegas was so happy the Canucks took him off their hands... they couldn't meet the Cap with him there... not after picking up Pietrangelo as an FA.

Cherry picking one play in a meaningless game. Lol.