The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

On 5/21/2021 at 12:10 PM, Curmudgeon said:

Unlike every sports commentator in this town who wants to fan the flames of controversy, or even create one if none exists, I appreciate Benning's honesty and assumption of responsibility. I don't believe he is anything more than what you see: a straightforward, sincere guy who only wants to do a good job. For better or worse, he has a plan for how this team could or should be structured next season. He will not be successful in his every planned move (who is ever 100% successful in their plans?) but he will give it his best shot. And the sooner the armchair GMs accept that they have zero influence on the decisions of ownership, management or the coaching staff, the better. The only thing I know for certain is that Benning knows more about running a franchise than ANYONE on CDC, so I will trust that he wants the same things I want, which is a winning team. We may differ on how to get there, but he's the GM and I am not. And neither are you.

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

What a wonderful world we live in where everybody is great at their job and everyone is working exactly the job they are perfectly suited for.

Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it but thankfully owners & managers have a tool at their disposal to deal with things when people are not doing their job properly and producing the same bad results continuously (for seven years.....and counting.. to be exact).

It is a thing Called "FIRING" !   But it takes guts to use it - something our team owners don't seem to have the stomach for.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Oilers attempts to surround their young top 6 guys with veteran leadership that wasnt overly effective on the ice was more similar to Bennings strategy than people care to remember.

The 2014-15 Oilers with their young players prior to McDavid:

Young F - Yakupov, Draisaitl, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Eberle

Young D - Nurse, Klefbom, Schultz

Veterans on the Roster - 

C - Boyd Gordon, Derek Roy, Rob Klinkhammer

LW - Matt Hendricks, Benoit Pouliot, David Perron (age 26)

RW - Steve Pinizotto, Teddy Purcell

D - Mark Fayne, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference

At least JB's supporting cast was miles better than that...  but if I'm tracking with you, you want the old soft team back? Yes it was fun to watch all season but then turfed out early in the post season, we can do that but there will never be a Stanley here, ever... we tried that route and failed horribly but media and fans who follow them want it back, sadly that never worked and won't anytime soon...  

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

At least JB's supporting cast was miles better than that...  but if I'm tracking with you, you want the old soft team back? Yes it was fun to watch all season but then turfed out early in the post season, we can do that but there will never be a Stanley here, ever... we tried that route and failed horribly but media and fans who follow them want it back, sadly that never worked and won't anytime soon...  

I wasnt saying building a supporting cast that way (or Bennings way either) is how you get a cup contending team. Its not. I was simply pointing out that people point to the Oilers and say going with all young players doesnt work in order to justify all the overpriced veteran contracts signed by Benning to "support the youth". When that isnt actually what Edmonton did. They did the same thing Benning has done for all intents and purposes.

You need speed, skill, and grit in spades throughout your lineup to win in the playoffs. And you need a much better style offensively and defensively than the Canucks currently play. A bunch more offensively starved, good in the room vets is not the right path for the Canucks.