The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks fans fly #FireBenning banner over Vancouver

Rate this topic

Tom Sestito

46 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

LOL hate everything about this sorry. Jim Benning is actually building us a team unlike anything

i have ever seen before. She can go pound sand.

Totally agree with you. Look at all these contracts that support bennings justification of giving Pearson this money.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Tanner Pearson isn't overpaid.

For real.

3.25 for a proven 40+ pt player who plays well with Horvat. You seriously think he's overpaid? Look at the other signings for comparison's sake. 3.25 is NOT overpaid for a top six forward, which is exactly what he is.

look at my next post. :bigblush:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I would post pics of it but one day my best pal @oldnews will see me on the road and run me off it :emot-parrot:

“that’s for gudbranson and benning!” - he shouts

haha - no worries - you're safe...

Unless you've got a Leafs flag flying from your antenna!!

So someone pays a guy to fly a firebenning banner, yet they say the Pro Benning/Green faction is getting more caustic?

I'm not a fan of everything Benning does. He's made his mistakes, yes. He's also brought us a ton of great players to build around. 

Maybe some fans are just tired of the broken record.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

It is, but ownership models are completely different in Germany it’s 50+1 rule on fan ownership.

in Spain it’s predominantly membership ownership of clubs.

in France its mixed

also the difference is in the history and how teams are. Owners are custodians of the club, they are not franchises nor are they centrally owned. They don’t just get picked up and moved (MK dons the exception and look how that went down) 

Clubs are rooted in the towns they play, having a pyramid structure of leagues mean teams have earns their way to play in the league they do (or fallen back down) with it not being a closed shop it’s not a case of sucking for a while and stocking up on good players, it’s a hard slog to get back up. Fans are far more engaged because of these factors. There is real jeopardy if a club starts to slide down the league table, whether that’s slipping out of the top group and missing European qualification or slipping into relegation zones. 

In North American pro sports it’s not the same, being closed shops and having player drafts, and especially with the revenue sharing means that there is no incentive to owners to actually improve the product if the fans are still coming, and if the fans stop they can sell up and move it. 

Fans haven’t been showing up since 2013.  The end of the Gillis days and especially since 2016, they’ve had to give away tickets. 

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Never understood this, you'd be naive to think owners don't nor shouldn't " meddle ". I mean its their money they can do as they see fit.

Does this apply to bad meddling owners like Eugene Melnyk, The Pegulas, Vivek Ranadive, James Dolan.  

I don’t mind when an owner wants to make sure his business is run well but they can’t be basically running the organization - specifically, the sports operation side. Ex: Cuban, Balmer, Dundon, MLSE. 

It’s been reported that the Aquilinis have grown in their involvement every year since 2012 and these are some of the poorest run years. Even if the drafting aspect has been better since 2012, there’s lots of smoke that they were big advocates for Virtanen as well.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Does this apply to bad meddling owners like Eugene Melnyk, The Pegulas, Vivek Ranadive, James Dolan.  

I don’t mind when an owner wants to make sure his business is run well but they can’t be basically running the organization - specifically, the sports operation side. Ex: Cuban, Balmer, Dundon, MLSE. 

It’s been reported that the Aquilinis have grown in their involvement every year since 2012 and these are some of the poorest run years. Even if the drafting aspect has been better since 2012, there’s lots of smoke that they were big advocates for Virtanen as well.

If so it just shows that Benning is toothless against the owners... And therefore incompetent as GM. I hope I don’t need to explain why.

One reason the owners might get more involved is because the value of the Canucks has dropped signifiantly since Gillis.

save all you can. :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

But that's the thing. It seems NO AMOUNT OF SUCCESS will EVER be enough to sway people who are dead set on firing Benning. People will make hypocritical arguments about what moves he should've made/didn't make. For example, people whining about Benning not signing Toffoli to a long term contract, DESPITE him being pushed to 30+. YET the same people are whining about how Pearson's contract would put him 30+. It's this incoherent nonsense that has to be called out.

At some point, there HAS to be a reflection on what was done right or done wrong. Unfortunately, some people are only interested in pushing an agenda, and would rather ignore evidence that doesn't support their perspective.

I've been very loud about questioning Green, but it's hard to argue that his coaching wasn't a factor in last year's playoffs. I just hope that he improves on his past experiences and he can be a better coach because of it.

Some people on this board (and on social media), for crying out loud, thinks Gillis was a better GM.

Think about that for a second. Gillis during his winning years with almost zero drafting/developing of players, part of which is this huge hole that the Canucks have yet to recover from.

Anything that Benning did do for drafting would get understated (oh, that was his scouts doing his work, etc). It's hilarious that people would talk about Benning profited from having high first round picks. Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, Jasek.... all of these are strong prospects that were NEVER on a team under Gillis. I wonder why.

Your bolded part applies to both sides of the coin though, pro Benning and Anti Benning.

Like any GM, Benning deserves credit for the good he does and criticism for the bad.

Gillis and Benning were almost polar opposites as GM's. Its hard to compare them. Gillis was shady af and took advantage of any loophole he could. Benning is almost naive level nice guy and doesnt have that same killer instinct. Gillis was terrible at drafting and left the cupboards bare, Benning is pretty good and has significantly improved the farm system. Gillis was (for the most part until the end) really good at contracts and cap management. Benning not so good. Gillis did well at adding the right support players to an already good team with a few big misses. Benning is pretty sketchy at his pro talent evaluation and has made a lot of questionable signings and trades with a few really good adds in there. 

Neither was/is a great GM. 

Really the only things they had in common were they were both Canucks GM, and they both liked to trade picks and give up on younger players who did not fit an often ill fitted role. They also both made bad decisions on coaches.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If so it just shows that Benning is toothless against the owners... And therefore incompetent as GM. I hope I don’t need to explain why.

One reason the owners might get more involved is because the value of the Canucks has dropped signifiantly since Gillis.

save all you can. :bigblush:

So by hiring a competent GM it would fix the issue??....honestly I think not. So you bring in a GM to butt heads with the owner...yeah, that will go far. Maybe last one season?

Benning has at least hung in there and dealt with the ownership group, and carved out his own space as well. Bennings model for success was always going to be drafting and development, that is the kind of GM he is. You build teams with a guy like that. The next step is whether Benning can handle this group of amazing players he has now and make a true cup contending team out of them. We have only entered that phase, so to say he is failing is WAY too early.

Look at the long game, and in 2-3 years we have a very solid team by the looks of things. If in 2-3 years we start losing these guys because Benning can't seem to keep the talent, then yes by all means let him go.

Right now, he's toughed it out in a market where they are looking for blood constantly and flying fire Benning banners, then dealing with owners who are always poking around and seeing what you're up to...what a s**tty job...I wouldn't want it. All while re-building from the ground up our entire prospect pipeline. We are now just witnessing the wave of talent he has drafted entering the NHL. It's gonna be fun to watch and everyone is gonna be saying....

....ehem...

GOOD JOB BENNING!!!! Keep up the good work!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

typical of a large swath of the canucks fan base, particularly as represented online. too much information, not enough brain power to understand. 

benning is focused on team building, not asset management. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So someone pays a guy to fly a firebenning banner, yet they say the Pro Benning/Green faction is getting more caustic?

I'm not a fan of everything Benning does. He's made his mistakes, yes. He's also brought us a ton of great players to build around. 

Maybe some fans are just tired of the broken record.

This is where i feel informed fans mostly are in the love-hate JB spectrum.   Nobody knows yet if he's just another Bergevin, or if he's Poile/Holland/Bowman/Lou like.   Probably somewhere inbetween really.   IMO at least, he's a perfectly good example of an above average GM.   Not great not average and certainly not bad. 

Holland's lustre has faded given he couldn't rebuild Detroit after their 20 years at or near the top faded.   Like Vancouver they'd traded picks, their saving grace in a way is they did draft ok during the MG years.   But it wasn't even close after JB got to work and drafted our current core.   Best GM for two decades, in a similar spot as us, couldn't do it and left for EDM.     He's proven beyond a doubt he can manage a good team well.   Crappy teams?  Not well.   And he's going to the HHOF at some point.    Yzerman i'm sure has quickly found out signing guys isn't that easy in Detroit lol.   But he's done the right thing and is following the same path JB started years ago for us.   As in signing placeholders (some left overs from us too lol), traded Mantha, and re-booting Holland's rebuild.    

CAR took two rebuilds.  Buffulo tied their hands and now are in real trouble again. Like a broken record.   ARI is on their third rebuild now.     

Why i don't like the haters, JB did something we really had low odds of doing, that is actually competing with our next core.    Since the cap came in, its more common to not succeed as a normal team rebuilding then not.   And for top teams it's definitely a lot more difficult.    Folks complain about the Vey trade.   And the Bear.   Both guys played in the NHL where 50% of the second rounders don't play that many games if at all.   

LE was brutal.   The rest understandable.  Why Gudbranson got 4.5 to play one year in OTT, when a team sucks you have to open the wallet.   Gagne lol.  Where is he now?    Both Dorian and Yzerman have taken a page out of JB's book.   In other words what he did was what other GMs do all the time too with a bottom team.   

Im pretty confident, that those UFA placeholder days are winding down.   We saw it last off season, let everyone go, brought in Schmidt and Holtby and Hamonic.    Fixed the ED at the TDL so Myers and Schmidt are safe.    Did every thing I hoped he'd do.    Except signing Pearson.   A deep dive into that ... well look at our RW depth and then our LW depth.   Sure the long term plans are either to draft a LW blue chip guy with this pick (hope it's a D or C though) or trade one of his guys to fill the hole, or to buy one later.  Podz, BB, Hogs,JV, Lind ...think our right side is more then sorted.

Anyways.  I often defend JB but it for sure doesn't mean i think he's great because i don't.   Think he's an above average GM.   And that IF he's at the helm the next two years which i'm pretty sure he will be, he will either stay the course as an above average guy, slip to Bergevin or worse level by wrecking our cap, or keep up his trend of upward trajectory and become Poile/Holland/Lou/Bowman like. 

• Cheers 2