The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks-Flames: Quinn Hughes for Matthew Tkachuk

On 5/6/2021 at 7:06 PM, Patel Bure said:

I take it that this thread will haunt me for the rest of my posting career.  :lol:

You made a thread trying to use Rathbone as a sweetner and now you want him to replace Quinn Hughes. Your proposals are so far off value I'm convinced this is just a troll account. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

You made a thread trying to use Rathbone as a sweetner and now you want him to replace Quinn Hughes. Your proposals are so far off value I'm convinced this is just a troll account. 

They are two separate ideas that have nothing to do with one another.

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Fair enough.  I mean you’re more than welcome to post ideas yourself if you’ve got something better.

Absolutely. 

We sign Hughes to a bridge deal this year.
We continue to develop Rathbone and see exactly what we have in him. Let's give him a full season. He's an exciting prospect.

Ideally we would trade a pick to Seattle to take Myers and his contract off our hands, but with the abundance of defenders Seattle has to choose from I highly doubt they'd accept any asset that would be worth it for us. Since we're going to be tight against the cap, I'd target a veteran player such as Kevan Miller. He brings much needed grit to this line up.

Hughes Miller
Rathbone Myers
Juolevi Schmidt

• Thanks 1

What a lot QHs for Ekblad?   That's a better idea.    If we are in a win now and medium term mode anyways. 

Adam Fox ... would you do that?  Maybe an inch taller - and leads the league on a rebuilding team as a rookie for RHDs and is also a plus 19... 

Or Pionk in WNP (plus something else)? 

Edited by IBatch

On 5/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Pepe Silvia said:

Absolutely. 

We sign Hughes to a bridge deal this year.
We continue to develop Rathbone and see exactly what we have in him. Let's give him a full season. He's an exciting prospect.

Ideally we would trade a pick to Seattle to take Myers and his contract off our hands, but with the abundance of defenders Seattle has to choose from I highly doubt they'd accept any asset that would be worth it for us. Since we're going to be tight against the cap, I'd target a veteran player such as Kevan Miller. He brings much needed grit to this line up.

Hughes Miller
Rathbone Myers
Juolevi Schmidt

Ugh.   Myers is top 30 in scoring for RHDs and probably won't get it but should be our Pratt winner this year.   He's not overpaid and say this did happen who are we going to replace him with?  Barrie?  Lol we'd have the smallest D in the league.   Savard?  Well then everyone can take the Edler hate - that became the Myers hate - and put it on Savard.   We need more of these guys not less (Schmidt/Myers).   It's extremely difficult to get top four RHD's even in free agency.   This contract is fine even with flat cap, we have a lot worse cap issues (LE, Luongo and Bear handcuffing the team all year for one). 

Most of the cap will shed naturally.   We don't have to expose Myers or Schmidt anymore, and it's simply not going to happen (JB exposing these guys).   QHs has been the issue with our D this year i hate to say.   What does -25 pro-rate over an entire season?  And our PP went from 4th to low 20's, it's not like we are scoring our way out of that hole.   

Myers kills penalties.   He's not the best but is the best option for now to anchor the second PP unit which is never given enough time.    Definitely not at all part of the problem, rather part of the solution, just need a few more like him. 

Edler is done as a top four guy.   If he comes back the deal won't be big (anything more then 3 is too much..2 is fair with flat cap).   

That's an awfully small L side.   And why is Rathbone ahead of OJ?  He's the only plus D on the team this year - sure he's not as flashy but gets the job done just fine.   Rathbone and QHs... well will for sure need Myers size.   Plus Ekblad, plus Cernak.  

Yes QHs is very young and his best seasons are some time away.   This year wasn't good for him, calls it a covid sophomore jinx or something.   Fox in NYR leepfrogged Trouba lol, is a RHD, leads the league in RHD scoring and a plus 19...id consider that trade if it was available.  

I’m not going to act like Hughes is untouchable, because he isn’t. No one on our current roster should feel like they are untouchable.  

There are plenty of players at I can think of, that I would move Hughes for and Matthew Tkachuk isn’t one of them. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:00 PM, Bitter Melon said:

puke GIFI wouldn't take Tkachuk for free.

With the contract MT is going to be on he’s not a player we want.  Plus, he skates terribly slow.  The game is getting so fast now, he’s looking like Lucic in between the blue lines.  

On 4/23/2021 at 5:32 PM, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Canucks-Flames:  Quinn Hughes +  for Matthew Tkachuk 

Next season:

Tkachuk-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-####-Hoglander

Motte-Sutter-Highmore

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone-Tryamkin

Demko

Holtby

[Virtanen + ??? For a decent 3rd line C)

Reasoning:

1) We bank on the fact that Rathbone, while not becoming anywhere near as good as Hughes, still develops into a Christian Erhoff calibre dman in that, he can move the puck up ice efficiently while having the ability to QB a PP.

2) With the addition of a guy like Matthew Tkachuk (or whatever young winger in the league would equate to being “equal value” for Hughes), the Canucks would have one of the deepest top 9’s in the league.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

On 5/12/2021 at 6:02 AM, IBatch said:

Ugh.   Myers is top 30 in scoring for RHDs and probably won't get it but should be our Pratt winner this year.   He's not overpaid and say this did happen who are we going to replace him with?  Barrie?  Lol we'd have the smallest D in the league.   Savard?  Well then everyone can take the Edler hate - that became the Myers hate - and put it on Savard.   We need more of these guys not less (Schmidt/Myers).   It's extremely difficult to get top four RHD's even in free agency.   This contract is fine even with flat cap, we have a lot worse cap issues (LE, Luongo and Bear handcuffing the team all year for one). 

Myers has the 15th highest salary among RHD, but only top 30 in scoring? Doesn't look so good.
I never suggested Barrie, we don't need him. 
Of course we have cap issues everywhere. Myers is overpaid.

Most of the cap will shed naturally.   We don't have to expose Myers or Schmidt anymore, and it's simply not going to happen (JB exposing these guys).   QHs has been the issue with our D this year i hate to say.   What does -25 pro-rate over an entire season?  And our PP went from 4th to low 20's, it's not like we are scoring our way out of that hole.   

If you really want to talk plus minus, sure. He had a very rough start to the season. So did the rest of the team. Look at everyones plus minus. We ONLY had 3 positive players. 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/stats/regular-season/skaters/pm

Even Myers is -9. 

This is obviously a team issue. Under a new coach and new system, the numbers will improve across the board.

Myers kills penalties.   He's not the best but is the best option for now to anchor the second PP unit which is never given enough time.    Definitely not at all part of the problem, rather part of the solution, just need a few more like him. 

Myers running PP2 is a problem. Hopefully Rathbone can take that role. If not, god help us. 

Edler is done as a top four guy.   If he comes back the deal won't be big (anything more then 3 is too much..2 is fair with flat cap).   

That we can agree on. 

That's an awfully small L side.   And why is Rathbone ahead of OJ?  He's the only plus D on the team this year - sure he's not as flashy but gets the job done just fine.   Rathbone and QHs... well will for sure need Myers size.   Plus Ekblad, plus Cernak.  

Yes QHs is very young and his best seasons are some time away.   This year wasn't good for him, calls it a covid sophomore jinx or something.   Fox in NYR leepfrogged Trouba lol, is a RHD, leads the league in RHD scoring and a plus 19...id consider that trade if it was available.  

Change the lines all you want it's not set in stone. 

Fox isn't available. He'll be a Norris candidate. Why would NYR consider? And why would we? It's a minor/lateral upgrade in the short term. Stay the course with these young defensemen. There will be growing pains. Blows my mind you want to give up on a player like Hughes this early in his career when he has a slight down season.