The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 24, 7 p.m. | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Save those for the game!!!!

I would love to see Eddie get his 100th tonight. He deserves a little puck luck. Been a warrior for the Canucks since he was a young fella.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

maybe we can trick LE with this whole resign re-sign thing. benning just asks LE if he would like to resign with vancouver and ask him if he would like to do that today. then you put a real contract with a other mutual termination papers hiding amongst the ranks.

im pulling at straws here.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Based on last game and many games this season i hope the team is working on the basics of how to make and accept a pass.

Blendering the lines again might make that even worse. Lets hope not.

On the topic of "working on the basics",  I hope the team works on how to quickly, and efficiently move the puck out of the D zone once you have possession.

Seems like its starting to infect the new bodies as well.

Thing is, they are killing themselves by doing 90% of the work to recover the puck, after battling the forecheck of the opponent, but that last 10% is missing too often...to either pass it out to a forward, or at least push it out over the blue line.

Maybe other teams are just as bad and I have tunnel vision but it seems like the Canucks are particularly challenged with what to do with the puck during those 10% crucial seconds.  Many times they decide to see how many dangerous passes they can make to each other inside their own zone first.  Or they get it all the way to the blue line before flubbing the puck, bouncing off a skate, fan on the puck, or any number of brainfarts causing another minute or two of onslaught in our zone.

Its like they never practice or plan positioning with what to do when they DO recover the puck. Create planned outlet paths, back up each other. Its such a shame, too many times, when they go through a Herculean effort to fight back possession, and then.......freeze until they are swamped again...or a blind pass to nowhere...or even a direct pass to the opposition. When I watch them panic....I panic!  That is my biggest pet peeve and causing me to turn into an alcoholic watching this team.

• Cheers 4

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's better as a winger.  Think of him as another Gaudette, only with more offensive talent.  A center when you have really no other option (eg., injuries).

Far better that Gauds.  McCann's record so far is 35g 12g/13a  25pts  +6 

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

On the topic of "working on the basics",  I hope the team works on how to quickly, and efficiently move the puck out of the D zone once you have possession.

Seems like its starting to infect the new bodies as well.

Thing is, they are killing themselves by doing 90% of the work to recover the puck, after battling the forecheck of the opponent, but that last 10% is missing too often...to either pass it out to a forward, or at least push it out over the blue line.

Maybe other teams are just as bad and I have tunnel vision but it seems like the Canucks are particularly challenged with what to do with the puck during those 10% crucial seconds.  Many times they decide to see how many dangerous passes they can make to each other inside their own zone first.  Or they get it all the way to the blue line before flubbing the puck, bouncing off a skate, fan on the puck, or any number of brainfarts causing another minute or two of onslaught in our zone.

Its like they never practice or plan positioning with what to do when they DO recover the puck. Create planned outlet paths, back up each other. Its such a shame, too many times, when they go through a Herculean effort to fight back possession, and then.......freeze until they are swamped again...or a blind pass to nowhere...or even a direct pass to the opposition. When I watch them panic....I panic!  That is my biggest pet peeve and causing me to turn into an alcoholic watching this team.

This is spot on. 

Given how Green wants them to attack with speed and often chip and chase the puck then aggressively forecheck, the inability to cleanly break the puck out really limits their options through the neutral zone.

Its not just a defenseman issue either. The forwards are often not in the position to accept a pass quick enough. You can see the defense often waiting a bit too long for a good option to open up.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 4

This is scary and why we all need to hear the experiences of those who've HAD COVID rather than the deniers who read all about it on SM.

I also feel that it's a good reminder to remember that these players are human beings.  Sometimes they get totally trashed when they struggle but their salaries don't provide immunity from things that you or I can experience.  Let's keep it in mind and have patience with this team down the stretch.  Health over hockey...I'm glad they're back and it's a valiant effort on their part to give it a go.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1