The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal)- My thoughts on how the Canucks can get there in two years!

23 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes it's a lot of cap to take on. Begs the question of what else we would spend it on? I'm not sure where you get a Miller/Horvat type for the cost of a 2nd round pick, but if you can do that, then I agree it would be better than this deal. I'm not saying Killorn or Johnson are a long term solution, but they are a pathway to remaining competitive and adding a potential core RD in Foote, for the cost of a 2nd plus cap space that we probably weren't going to use anyway.

Killorn is a regular 40-50 pt guy and isn't top 6 material? With his 28 pts in the current season Killorn would be 4th in VANs forward group, ahead of Pettersson, Hoglander, Pearson. I think he would fit in nicely for 2 seasons.

I'm not happy with Killorn because i picked him in my pool a few years ago and he seriously disappointed (and it's not a snake draft it's a cap draft and who i left on the table would have been much better lol).   Pearson and Killorn aren't much different.   If Pearson played on TB ... that's the stinger.   Playing on Vancouver ... i'm not so sure.   And that's a big cap hit for a guy who's scored 20 goals once in his career.  So maybe i'm a little frustrated about him ... and did my research before i picked him.     Where is he playing anyways?  I doubt he'd do much better then Pearson is/does.    He's a cap dump for sure.   Of the two TJ actually interests me more, he cleared waivers after all.   What would TB be willing to give up for him?  Plays two positions and they'd have to pay for us to pick him up.   Foote.  Well who knows, wouldn't say he's a slam dunks but yes he's got promise.   Not sure we'd be so lucky going to the same well twice.   Feel most TB players have inflated stats. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, The King said:

A huge NO! to Sutter, no matter what

Your on crack.  I'd take Sutter for the league minimum x 5 without even blinking an eye.  He's not going to not get a deal.   He's too young.   Is still producing.   And has a lot of PK value still in him, plus can score.   

• Cheers 1

On 4/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think they sign bridge deals for about 7 - 7.5 million for 2 - 3 years. It's not in their best interest to lock into long term deals right now due to the fact that the cap will likely remain at 81.5 for at least another 2 seasons, possibly as many as 4.

Hughes doesn't have that much negotiating power with the fact that he isn't eligible for offer sheet, and Pettersson has already said that he wouldn't accept one.

Expect them to cost us between 14 - 15 million combined, next season.

I think it would be 3 yrs max if they bridge

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your on crack.  I'd take Sutter for the league minimum x 5 without even blinking an eye.  He's not going to not get a deal.   He's too young.   Is still producing.   And has a lot of PK value still in him, plus can score.   

You think Sutter will take the league minimum? Who's smoking crack Bro! Your not getting Sutter for less then 3 mil. We already have a bunch of those utility guys killing us at 3 mil. So NO! to Sutter, I'd rather put Boyd their, or move Motte to the middle on the 3rd line.

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'. That's god-damn right. For the second time in my life, I am guilty of committing a crime. Parole violation. Of course, I doubt they'll toss up any roadblocks for that. Not for an old crook like me...

I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

15 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

i agree with most forums.

also ullmark for 2m is interesting because he is basically has the same/better numbers than demko. am i missing something?

Nah you are bang on, but thought I'd sneak that through without anyone noticing, haha!

I think the true value for both of them is in the middle, somewhere around 3.5 - 4.0m. No doubt Demko got a killer contract.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Beagle was back at practice with the main roster.  Wouldn’t expect him to be on LTIR next season.

That's good news. There were rumors that his injury was season-ending and possibly career ending. Glad he has recovered.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, The King said:

My Thoughts on how to get there!

UFA market:

·      Pick up Adam Larssson- 4.5x4

·      Brandon Sutter let go 4.375

·      Jimmy Vesey let go 900k

·      Alexander Edler let go 6.0

·      Sven Baertschi let go 2.3

·      Travis Boyd let go 700k

·      Ryan Spooner off the books 1.0     Savings (10.775)

Trade:

·      Nate Schmidt 5.95, Jake Virtanen 2.55, and a 2022 1st rounder for Ryan Johansen and a 2021 2nd.       Savings (500k)

Buy Out:

·      Louie Eriksson- saving cap space in 2021-2022    Savings (2.44)

Sign:

·      Elias Pettersson to 7.5 X 4

·      Quinn Hughes to 7.5 x 4

·      Nikita Tryamkin to 1.75 x 2                Cost 16.75

Expansion draft claim:

·      Tyler Myers claimed by Seattle         Savings (6.0)

Total Savings (19.715)

Minus Cost 16.75    = 2.965

Projected Lineup:

FORWARDS:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Johansen

Hoglander

Pearson

Podkolzin

Motte

Highmore

MacEwen

Beagle

Roussel

Lind

DEFENCE:

Hughes

Larsson

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Rathbone

Hamonic

At the Draft:

The Canucks probably end up with a top 5 overall pick, and with that pick they will be able to select, in a draft that is very heavy with excellent defenders, a bonafide top 4 defender, which will solidify the defence moving forward.

Summary:

By making the trade for Johansen, in essence the Canucks add a legit top 3 forward, with size, is truly a playmaker (Joe Thorton- like-ish), will play heavy, and is extremely durable. At 8 million per year for the next 5 we have some cap certainty. I do feel that he gives the team tons of flexibility when it comes to players positional needs. With Podkolzin coming, and likely going to have an instant impact, and could push for a Calder trophy next year. The Canucks top 9 look really competitive, which will be something they have not had since the 1994 season. Benning needs to be applauded for this ability to draft and assemble such a quality squad.

On the backend, Larsson is the natural fit for Hughes and could be had for a reasonable cap hit. By signing Tryamkin (who is now a seasoned professional) the Canucks have almost replaced Myers but at a third the cost. Joulevi and Rathbone are both ready to take regular spots on the Left side, and Hamonic has shown a very steadying influence with good heart on the Right side, so he should be brought back at a slight increase. This will be a young defence core, but considering JB’s belief that this team will be ready to rock in two years; giving this young defence core a chance to develop in primetime might be uber beneficial in the greater scheme of things.

Looking Ahead:

When you consider expiring contracts 2022-2023; Beagle (3.0) and Roussel (3.0), and Holtby (4.3), who in all three cases the Canucks let walk, and the need to resign RFA Boeser and Motte for decent raises. The Canucks will have enough cap room left over to add a quality defender through UFA or preferably trade to really enhance the clubs’ chances to be a contender.

DuQ6Pv0UYAEl2lt.jpg

11 hours ago, The King said:

You think Sutter will take the league minimum? Who's smoking crack Bro! Your not getting Sutter for less then 3 mil. We already have a bunch of those utility guys killing us at 3 mil. So NO! to Sutter, I'd rather put Boyd their, or move Motte to the middle on the 3rd line.

Of course not ... but you said you wouldn't take him no matter what ... 

On 4/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'. That's god-damn right. For the second time in my life, I am guilty of committing a crime. Parole violation. Of course, I doubt they'll toss up any roadblocks for that. Not for an old crook like me...

I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Dude r u okay?