The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 26, 4 p.m. l TSN5, SNP

Rate this topic

-DLC-

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Back when i had a paper route... let's just say they sucked because really they did.  Character though.  Couldn't imagine kids over the last 20-30 years having to get up at 4:30 to go do their thing 7 days a week, 5 of which you then went to school later.   Suppose farmers wouldn't think much of it, but yes city folk didn't like it.    For maybe 1/3 of whatever minimum wage is at the time.   But can say i did like how quiet everything was, and also liked how peaceful it was.   And watching the sunrise every day. 

But didn't like collecting for the papers (because that's what you did back then, and the smells coming out of each house was for sure a unique one)  ...  Even better the "white van" dropped the papers on each corner.    Today that's a scary thing to chase at 5:00am, today i mean, back then it was like sh!t when's he coming im getting cold.   God help you if it your route wasn't done by 7:00am.  Some old ashole would come out screaming why it wasn't there yet (at least they are all dead now).    Then to school.   Funny thing is it wasn't too bad either.  Done a lot worse jobs.   Wish my kids had to do it.   Well really wish all kids in the first world had to do it the past three decades.   Back to the building character thing.    At least some of the NHLers still grow up on farms. 

Edit:  Just for reference this was the early-mid 80's...the only thing scarier then a paper route was Aids. 

I delivered the paper in the late 80s and your story is bang on. My biggest issue was collecting each week and as a 10 year-old getting excuses and lies lol.

After one particularly rough collection, my older brother went with me and of course everyone paid.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I delivered the paper in the late 80s and your story is bang on. My biggest issue was collecting each week and as a 10 year-old getting excuses and lies lol.

After one particularly rough collection, my older brother went with me and of course everyone paid.

Had the same issue collecting back in the 50's and I was financially responsible for those that wouldn't pay. I didn't have a big brother but my dad could be pretty imposing when necessary.......

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

My kids were delivering "Burnaby Now" in 1998-99 when we came to Canada, they loved it because it was the first time in their lives there were making money. I think that experience helped them later in lives

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You were making a fortune compared to my days. B)

Me:

The initial hourly rates would be 85 cents for women, $1 for most males, and $1.25 for construction workers.

You:

British Columbia  

01-Jul-80
$3.40

01-Dec-80
$3.65

Minimum wage did get that high until i was working labour jobs in grade 10.   Say 1988 or so ... I remember clearly because i could buy a pack of butts and a six pack for the weekend every two hours of work.   

• Upvote 1

I remember the 7 day a week paperound, 5 of which was a rush to then get home shower and catch the bus.

Saturday and Sunday’s were the worst, with all the supplements what took one trip in the week could take 3 on a Saturday, ply you got the weekend only drops which meant a lot of back and forth to the shop to collect each part, then on a Sunday getting changed and off to play rugby. 

luckily didn’t have to do any collections as it was all paid in advance or by DD so never has an issue with it.

abd I think I only got £15 a week for all of that, and that was at one of the better paid shops as well 

• Cheers 3

They were talking on 650 this morning like they're close to offering Travis Green a contract extension (but may not be what he's looking for/a significant raise).  Might just be rumbling of no significance, but I'd hate to lose him as coach.

Green’s contract with the club ends this summer, and he has earned an extension with the franchise. The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun believes the head coach should receive an offer from the Canucks, but wonders if it’ll enough as Green has earned a pay raise (from ‘LeBrun: What does the future hold for NHL head coaches on expiring contracts or in interim positions?,’ The Athletic’ 04/26/2021). LeBrun noted there will be more news to come on this front sooner rather than later. The Canucks have to do whatever it takes to extended their head coach, mostly due to how well he has done with a roster that hasn’t been very impressive.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Back when i had a paper route... let's just say they sucked because really they did.  Character though.  Couldn't imagine kids over the last 20-30 years having to get up at 4:30 to go do their thing 7 days a week, 5 of which you then went to school later.   Suppose farmers wouldn't think much of it, but yes city folk didn't like it.    For maybe 1/3 of whatever minimum wage is at the time.   But can say i did like how quiet everything was, and also liked how peaceful it was.   And watching the sunrise every day. 

But didn't like collecting for the papers (because that's what you did back then, and the smells coming out of each house was for sure a unique one)  ...  Even better the "white van" dropped the papers on each corner.    Today that's a scary thing to chase at 5:00am, today i mean, back then it was like sh!t when's he coming im getting cold.   God help you if it your route wasn't done by 7:00am.  Some old ashole would come out screaming why it wasn't there yet (at least they are all dead now).    Then to school.   Funny thing is it wasn't too bad either.  Done a lot worse jobs.   Wish my kids had to do it.   Well really wish all kids in the first world had to do it the past three decades.   Back to the building character thing.    At least some of the NHLers still grow up on farms. 

Edit:  Just for reference this was the early-mid 80's...the only thing scarier then a paper route was Aids. 

Didn't you hate at collection time, you knew the person was home but they wouldn't answer the door :angry:.  I'm guessing with auto-payment by credit card nowadays, that isn't a problem anymore.  Wasn't like that in 'the good old days'.

My calculations going into the game:

If Montreal wins and we lose in regulation, we would need about a 10-4 record to end the season to catch Montreal.

If Montreal loses in regulation and we win, we would need about an 8-6 record to end the season to catch Montreal.

Obviously OT/SO losses can end up with something in between.

A lot is hanging on these games. Need to keep winning to maintain our chances.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn't you hate at collection time, you knew the person was home but they wouldn't answer the door :angry:.  I'm guessing with auto-payment by credit card nowadays, that isn't a problem anymore.  Wasn't like that in 'the good old days'.

Shop I delivered for paid in advance not arrears so was never an issue for me ;)

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

And dogs.  

One place, an Irish Setter jumped through a window at me when I rang the door bell.  Hope it was ok, cuz I ran like hell and never went back.  Another, a small dog that terrorized me for years, came bolting towards the front door as the kid who answered went to get a parent.  I saw the dog coming, grabbed the door and slammed it, narrowly missing the dog.

"fortunately", my paper was voluntary payment by customers.  I never went back to those places for future collections.

I hated collections.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ask DiPetrio.  Hasn't played a game this season yet (here or in the minors)

Thats horrible for his development..

Grab a goalie on legue minimum contract 750k and put hin on taxi squad... put Dpietro in utica get him some games

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They were talking on 650 this morning like they're close to offering Travis Green a contract extension (but may not be what he's looking for/a significant raise).  Might just be rumbling of no significance, but I'd hate to lose him as coach.

Horseradish!