Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 28, 2:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, beni said:

That is just awful. 

Most of those players are signed for the main reasons of mentoring & sheltering rather than there on ice contribution - imo, it would perhaps had been cheaper to sign coaches that can mentor the youths off the ice.

 

Not confident JB, will not double down on overpaying for intangibles rather than on ice contributions.   With the current standings perhaps he should double down by signing all our aging FA's and trade/sign players that can mentor & shelter these aging (fan favorite) vets...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps it was from the ownership down that wants to keep the impression of winning, was the main reason for pushing for a playoff spot & playing the vets rather than recognizing the obvious that this season is a regression and would had been prudent to showcase & play the future - the team is still lossing despite the (mentoring expensive vets).  Some teams seems to recognize season like these and will tend to make the most out of it in preparation for next...

 

Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different staff before any trade(s), all our FA's walks and Aquaman hires a team president that can work with JB.

Since the return from Covid this is the perfect time to be inserting some of the younger players if for no other reason than to keep the team as fresh as possible. Even if it doesn’t give us a better chance of winning it at least helps to keep players safe.

 

Totally agree with your last point as well. 

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps it was from the ownership down that wants to keep the impression of winning, was the main reason for pushing for a playoff spot & playing the vets rather than recognizing the obvious that this season is a regression and it would had been prudent to showcase & play the future - the team is still lossing despite the (mentoring expensive vets).  Some teams seems to recognize season like these (early in the season) and will tend to make the most out of it in preparation for next...

 

Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different staff before any trade(s), all our FA's walks and Aquaman hires a team president that can work with JB.  Also, JB needs to stop overpaying for vets for mainly the reasons of mentoring/sheltering and give the young core a chance at the leadership role & the rookies a legit chance to make the club before relegating to learning from the press box...

Overpayment of the veterans is an necessary evil and it's meant to protect their own prospects from thrown to the wolves..  The timeline was screwed up because their prospects got better quicker than Benning expected.  I'm sure that this coming off-season will mark his stamp of the team with contracts coming off the books.  He got Pearson signed with 50K less on cap hits.  Remember, we played without Petterson for almost two months and they did all right.   Before they come back from Covid-19 outbreak, we didn't expect them to make the noise for one month stretch of horrendous schedule.   I expect them to get better next season with their prospect making the team.  I think Benning will sign any veterans for less than 1 million cap so that it won't count to their cap hits for their farm team just to create an internal competition so that their prospects would be able to beat them and make the team over any veterans that wants to sign with the Canucks at that price.. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell into a deep sleep at 2:45:pm, did we lose? OMG the sky is falling. Our sports franchise is failing. Curses to all our management and coaches and players for ruining our lives, all is lost.

 


 

Meanwhile, life goes on. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Overpayment of the veterans is an necessary evil and it's meant to protect their own prospects from thrown to the wolves..  The timeline was screwed up because their prospects got better quicker than Benning expected.  I'm sure that this coming off-season will mark his stamp of the team with contracts coming off the books.  He got Pearson signed with 50K less on cap hits.  Remember, we played without Petterson for almost two months and they did all right.   Before they come back from Covid-19 outbreak, we didn't expect them to make the noise for one month stretch of horrendous schedule.   I expect them to get better next season with their prospect making the team.  I think Benning will sign any veterans for less than 1 million cap so that it won't count to their cap hits for their farm team just to create an internal competition so that their prospects would be able to beat them and make the team over any veterans that wants to sign with the Canucks at that price.. 

I get it but the frustrating part that I perhaps forgot to emphasize is that JB will not hesitate to overpay for the intangibles rather than what the player will contribute on the ice.  For the most part hindsight has not been kind to JBs' signing(s) of players for there intangibles.  Alot of our young core had forced there way into the roster despite the expensive veterans and for the most part those expensive vets had been injured and in today's game there are other options off the ice to fill the mentoring role.  Imo (with hindsight) and in today's cap world, it would had been more prudent to first give these talented rookies a legit chance to make the roster before signing these vets...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I fell into a deep sleep at 2:45:pm, did we lose? OMG the sky is falling. Our sports franchise is failing. Curses to all our management and coaches and players for ruining our lives, all is lost.

 


 

Meanwhile, life goes on. 

I was born only a couple years before the Canucks were and I’m getting to the point where I may just live a long and healthy life without ever seeing my team win a Cup, at some point life does not go on.

 

On a side note, I love stats and sex:

 

50 years x 80 games/year x 3 goals/game = 12,000 times the Canucks have scored.

30 years married x .35 sex/day = 4,000 times I’ve scored, not bad for a Dumb Nuck.

 

Hmmm, maybe Jake is the highest scoring Canuck of all time.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This says it all. Cant wait to see how this gets spun to suggest letting Toffoli go and keeping those plugs was the right call.

 

This decision alone should have gotten Benning fired.

He didn't re-sign Toffoli because Aqualini wouldn't pony up the cash to make it work. Funny how you think the owner has nothing to do with this. Everything that happened this offseason is a direct result of Aqualini suddenly being cheap because of the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

He didn't re-sign Toffoli because Aqualini wouldn't pony up the cash to make it work. Funny how you think the owner has nothing to do with this. Everything that happened this offseason is a direct result of Aqualini suddenly being cheap because of the pandemic.

Interesting that the owner was apparently willing to accept taking on OEL and his monster contract though. Benning was chasing him rather than negotiating with his own ufa after all. And he approved re-signing Virtanen in the off season and most recently Pearson.

 

Aquilini has allowed Benning to operate at the cap maximum. The fact that has left a ton of dead money on the books is all on Benning. If Aquilini didnt want to pay buyout money etc i can certainly understand that. But then Bennibg should not have put himself in the position he had to ask just to have enough cap to re-sign Toffoli.

 

Funny how every mistake Benning makes is magically someone else's fault (usually Aquilinis) but he gets credit for the good stuff others do. Like Brackett. Or Linden.

 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Interesting that the owner was apparently willing to accept taking on OEL and his monster contract though. Benning was chasing him rather than negotiating with his own ufa after all. And he approved re-signing Virtanen in the off season and most recently Pearson.

 

Aquilini has allowed Benning to operate at the cap maximum. The fact that has left a ton of dead money on the books is all on Benning. If Aquilini didnt want to pay buyout money etc i can certainly understand that. But then Bennibg should not have put himself in the position he had to ask just to have enough cap to re-sign Toffoli.

 

Funny how every mistake Benning makes is magically someone else's fault (usually Aquilinis) but he gets credit for the good stuff others do. Like Brackett. Or Linden.

 

There is no way Toffoli not being signed leads back to Aquilini. Like JB or not.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Interesting that the owner was apparently willing to accept taking on OEL and his monster contract though. Benning was chasing him rather than negotiating with his own ufa after all. And he approved re-signing Virtanen in the off season and most recently Pearson.

 

Aquilini has allowed Benning to operate at the cap maximum. The fact that has left a ton of dead money on the books is all on Benning. If Aquilini didnt want to pay buyout money etc i can certainly understand that. But then Bennibg should not have put himself in the position he had to ask just to have enough cap to re-sign Toffoli.

 

Uhh, no, it actually is all on Aqualini. He spends to the cap because he refuses to let management rebuild. So, he thinks if he throws money at the roster, we suddenly become good. It started with Gillis and continued with Benning. It will continue with the next GM too because all the owner ever does is hire rookie GMs that will do as he says.

 

With the OEL trade, we'd be sending some salary back. If Aqualini didn't decide to become cheap, we could have bought out someone like Sutter, giving us money to re-sign Toffoli, which would mean we also likely don't give Virtanen his current contract.

 

This is on Aqualini 100%.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Uhh, no, it actually is all on Aqualini. He spends to the cap because he refuses to let management rebuild. So, he thinks if he throws money at the roster, we suddenly become good. It started with Gillis and continued with Benning. It will continue with the next GM too because all the owner ever does is hire rookie GMs that will do as he says.

 

With the OEL trade, we'd be sending some salary back. If Aqualini didn't decide to become cheap, we could have bought out someone like Sutter, giving us money to re-sign Toffoli, which would mean we also likely don't give Virtanen his current contract.

 

This is on Aqualini 100%.

For me it looks line a spin from Benning.

It fits with his behaviour to save his own face in every situation.

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

Uhh, no, it actually is all on Aqualini. He spends to the cap because he refuses to let management rebuild. So, he thinks if he throws money at the roster, we suddenly become good. It started with Gillis and continued with Benning. It will continue with the next GM too because all the owner ever does is hire rookie GMs that will do as he says.

 

With the OEL trade, we'd be sending some salary back. If Aqualini didn't decide to become cheap, we could have bought out someone like Sutter, giving us money to re-sign Toffoli, which would mean we also likely don't give Virtanen his current contract.

 

This is on Aqualini 100%.

He spends to the cap every year. How is that being cheap?

 

Maybe if he had a GM who could manage the salary cap he would not have to buy out a bunch of mistake contracts to be able to re-sign players.

 

I understand if Aquilini told Benning no to buyouts. I mean, how often do you expect an owner to pay millions of dollars to buyout players or when they are sitting in the pressbox or the ahl?

 

OEL was a disaster trade waiting to happen. Not sure why Benning was even trying to get him. He is massively overpaid and overrated. They would not have taken a bad contract back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m confused. He throws money at the roster but wouldn’t buy out Sutter?

 

Apparently - that’s why they couldn’t sign Toffoli per Sat Shah.  

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it but the frustrating part that I perhaps forgot to emphasize is that JB will not hesitate to overpay for the intangibles rather than what the player will contribute on the ice.  For the most part hindsight has not been kind to JBs' signing(s) of players for there intangibles.  Alot of our young core had forced there way into the roster despite the expensive veterans and for the most part those expensive vets had been injured and in today's game there are other options off the ice to fill the mentoring role.  Imo (with hindsight) and in today's cap world, it would had been more prudent to first give these talented rookies a legit chance to make the roster before signing these vets...

In my opinion, if I'm a GM, I would do it just to protect and force themselves making the team.  I would not do 3-4 years contract that he did to Beagle or Rossell but I would do 2 years with 1 or 2 extra million dollars if nobody wants to come here.  I would not do mid-term contract like JB did but I'm willing to give him a slack because he was a rookie GM when he did this.   Now, we do not know what GMJB will do this coming off-season with more free agents pool just to fill in some needs once Petterson and Hughes is locked in for next few years.  If he feels that some of his prospects are ready for prime-time, I do not think he will do too much by signing veterans like he did this past off-season by letting them go (MNarkstrom, Stecher, Tanev and Toffoli and brought in Hamonic for cheap..  He is not afraid to make such moves.  He will make a calculated back-up in case if his prospects flamed out or is not ready or just to mentor their minor farm team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

In my opinion, if I'm a GM, I would do it just to protect and force themselves making the team.  I would not do 3-4 years contract that he did to Beagle or Rossell but I would do 2 years with 1 or 2 extra million dollars if nobody wants to come here.  I would not do mid-term contract like JB did but I'm willing to give him a slack because he was a rookie GM when he did this.   Now, we do not know what GMJB will do this coming off-season with more free agents pool just to fill in some needs once Petterson and Hughes is locked in for next few years.  If he feels that some of his prospects are ready for prime-time, I do not think he will do too much by signing veterans like he did this past off-season by letting them go (MNarkstrom, Stecher, Tanev and Toffoli and brought in Hamonic for cheap..  He is not afraid to make such moves.  He will make a calculated back-up in case if his prospects flamed out or is not ready or just to mentor their minor farm team. 

Benning has signed one veteran to a 1 yr low money deal. Hamonic. Thats it. And when a player only wants to sign with 4 teams in the entire nhl and has burned through one of them already, its not like that was a hard signing. He did give him a nmc though.

 

Every other veteran signing has been pretty bad. Usually above market value dollars, a year or two long on term, with trade protection also baked in. 

 

Book it. Benning will sign some vets to overpriced contracts this offseason. He has not done any differently until now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He spends to the cap every year. How is that being cheap?

 

Maybe if he had a GM who could manage the salary cap he would not have to buy out a bunch of mistake contracts to be able to re-sign players.

 

I understand if Aquilini told Benning no to buyouts. I mean, how often do you expect an owner to pay millions of dollars to buyout players or when they are sitting in the pressbox or the ahl?

 

OEL was a disaster trade waiting to happen. Not sure why Benning was even trying to get him. He is massively overpaid and overrated. They would not have taken a bad contract back. 

It's pretty clear he is being cheap with the front office and coaching. Like I said, he spends on the roster because he thinks he can fix any problems by throwing money at it. Aqualini is the one who refused to rebuild. He refused one with Gillis, and he refused one with Linden and Benning. We have a meddling owner, and it is crazy you give him a free pass. Even if he fired Benning, he'd just hire another rookie GM he can control.

 

If he isn't cheap, then he'd have no problems with buyouts. We'd only need one if we wanted Toffoli back. It's not like it costs extra, and it spreads out the salary, which would be good during the pandemic for someone who has tightened the purse strings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...