The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 28, 2:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

It's pretty clear he is being cheap with the front office and coaching. Like I said, he spends on the roster because he thinks he can fix any problems by throwing money at it. Aqualini is the one who refused to rebuild. He refused one with Gillis, and he refused one with Linden and Benning. We have a meddling owner, and it is crazy you give him a free pass. Even if he fired Benning, he'd just hire another rookie GM he can control.

If he isn't cheap, then he'd have no problems with buyouts. We'd only need one if we wanted Toffoli back. It's not like it costs extra, and it spreads out the salary, which would be good during the pandemic for someone who has tightened the purse strings.

I never gave him a free pass and i never said he didnt meddle. But its his team.

Benning has been given a ton of leeway to sign players and build the team. Most of the strong voices have been fired and power has been consolidated with him. That means the buck stops with him. He is just pretty terrible at ufa signings, pro scouting, and cap management.

When you buy a player out or bury them in the press box or the ahl, it still costs the owner money for someone who isnt playing for the team or contributing to its success. And each of those players has to be replaced on the roster with another player that also has to be paid. It adds up quickly and i dont blame an owner for not wanting to continue doing it.

Any team that spends to the cap every year and still finishes near the bottom 80% of the time in your tenure is a strong indication you are a $&!#ty gm.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I never gave him a free pass and i never said he didnt meddle. But its his team.

Benning has been given a ton of leeway to sign players and build the team. Most of the strong voices have been fired and power has been consolidated with him. That means the buck stops with him. He is just pretty terrible at ufa signings, pro scouting, and cap management.

When you buy a player out or bury them in the press box or the ahl, it still costs the owner money for someone who isnt playing for the team or contributing to its success. And each of those players has to be replaced on the roster with another player that also has to be paid. It adds up quickly and i dont blame an owner for not wanting to continue doing it.

Any team that spends to the cap every year and still finishes near the bottom 80% of the time in your tenure is a strong indication you are a $&!#ty gm.

his drafting is top notch your dreaming bud

6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

whys that?, ottawa before we even played them have been really hot and playing great seems like they finally figured it out as a team/chemistry.

LOL playoffs?. Playoffs? 

spacer.png

Sooo

We lost 3 out of 4 VS Ottawa who was last in our division while we're out of playoffs by 10 pts.

Also heading into the Canucks series, Ottawa's last 10 was 4-6

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL playoffs?. Playoffs? 

spacer.png

Sooo

We lost 3 out of 4 VS Ottawa who was last in our division while we're out of playoffs by 10 pts.

Also heading into the Canucks series, Ottawa's last 10 was 4-6

what?, i wasnt implying we would make playoffs, if you seen my posts i doubted we would make them from the beginning when we came back, it was a fun pipedream while it lasted it though, still aint cheering for the nucks too lose, also 4-6 sure, but ive watched some of those games and they look like a different team out there from eariler in the season.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

At the time of the covid stoppage we had played max 3-4 more games than our opponents

in your mind that is a reason to be sub 500? 

we were a mile out of a playoff spot at the coaches covid stoppage 

all facts 

keep making excuses though if it makes you feel more at peace 

but hey anyone who won’t drink the koolaid is a troll right?

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

For people that feel coaching does not matter ask yourself if the Oilers have a better roster than us defensively? Better defensive towards? Better D men? Better Goalies? 

I do not think they do however why are they so much better defensively than we are? 

coaching, systems and structure 

After about 13.300 negative posts only one question... why are you watching the games?

Your constant negative babbling is just tiresome.... nothing more, nothing less... 

Show us some evidence of your credentials... Which team have you coached to league winners...any league, any age group... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

what?, i wasnt implying we would make playoffs, if you seen my posts i doubted we would make them from the beginning when we came back, it was a fun pipedream while it lasted it though, still aint cheering for the nucks too lose, also 4-6 sure, but ive watched some of those games and they look like a different team out there from eariler in the season.

I just added the playoffs clip for funsies. 

You're right. Ottawa has played much better than the beginning of the year but my point was that if you can't beat Ottawa at the most crucial time of the year, you don't deserve playoffs. 

You asked whys that? They've been really hot... 

Looks like we're going in a loop. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

why settle for drama when you can project your drama into the future.

All joking aside they will be limited in what they can do for next year. It is beginning to look like they will select in the top ten this year. This is not a deep draft but there is some solid players in the top ten. 

Jim should find another peace to the puzzle.  2022/2023  should be a turn around year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

To top it off, I dont think we've seen the worst of it

Team is completely out of gas

Enjoy the games, but dont look into the results.

Looking to the future for the rest of the season. Cycle youth and vets as needed. Get fresh looks at guys for next season and see where they are at. Plug away till it’s over. Most of all stay positive even though she gonna be rough lol.

By the by, Utica won last night. Gadjovich with 2 goals. Guy is a beast this year. We need his size and strength in our line up.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Uhh, no, it actually is all on Aqualini. He spends to the cap because he refuses to let management rebuild. So, he thinks if he throws money at the roster, we suddenly become good. It started with Gillis and continued with Benning. It will continue with the next GM too because all the owner ever does is hire rookie GMs that will do as he says.

With the OEL trade, we'd be sending some salary back. If Aqualini didn't decide to become cheap, we could have bought out someone like Sutter, giving us money to re-sign Toffoli, which would mean we also likely don't give Virtanen his current contract.

This is on Aqualini 100%.

During the MG phase Aqua had no problem adding infrastructure to and expenses to support the team, like MG or not, one thing he did do was add a lot of staff and a level of professionalism from top to bottom to this organization that hadn't existed up until then.   It's nothing like the previous owners, who Quin went to battle against to move to Seattle at one point, or the one before that who was too cheap to pay Bure, Nedved and others.    We should be thankful.   Owner is willing to spend to the cap each year.  

TG was considered as interesting to THN as EP and BB were when he was hired - sure he's a rookie coach - they wrote at the time "has as much potential as their budding young stars".  Anyone who doesn't know his story and how he got the job should do their research.      The a good time to add a  rookie coach is with a rebuilding team, they grow as a team together.   Recycling the same old same old, sure there is a time for that too.   Gallant wouldn't have ever got a start if he didn't get a start.   Same with Bowman.   Now he's an experienced coach who's name floats in and out regularly on the CDC.   Who knows maybe it's time to make a change, TG won't have to wait long to get another job though.   Pay the man or move on. 

Kind of idiotic to expect a winning record from him (TG), when he has barely had one full season with the addition of Myers and Miller plus QHs...and it's post Sedin 1.5ish.   

What is 100% on Aqua is JB.   And it does look like he's not an arms length owner either... But really knows for sure if it's meddling or interested.  Can't blame him for wanting to keep costs down, he has his real business to manage, and this one, like every other NHL team, is bleeding money.   Players are getting the lions share of the pie right now, with maybe 60% of the revenue coming in.    For me at least, Aqua is the best owner we've had to date.   And when the revenues go up, i'm sure he'd be fine to add more then he already has to maximize the players ability to succeed.   Back when Quin was GM...wow staff was probably 1/5 of what it is today.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

All joking aside they will be limited in what they can do for next year. It is beginning to look like they will select in the top ten this year. This is not a deep draft but there is some solid players in the top ten. 

Jim should find another peace to the puzzle.  2022/2023  should be a turn around year. 

Yes.   7-8 d's and 3 C's at or near the top of the draft.   This draft is a lot like EPs going into it, as in there are a lot of solid picks but nothing aside from maybe Power that is that exciting.   Patrick and Hirschier were debated as one two, with Patrick getting more love and Hirschier moving way up  as the year went on.   After McDavid and then Mathews draft it seemed very ordinary.   Not in hindsight though.   Aside from the top two of course although Hirschier is solid for sure.    If Podz comes in and challenges EP and QHs for top new core player, and we can add a stud D .... this teams core is set.   It is extremely close already, a team can only have so many of them.   Thankfully ours so far, doesn't appear to be too top heavy.   Rather have EP and Horvat anyday over one McDavid. 

Edited by IBatch