The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Really? I find Chatfield the complete opposite of what you just said. I will watch him closley tonight, maybe I'm out to lunch on this one. 

I don't think he will ever get to being more than a 5 / 6 D in the league, but personally, I haven't seen him take a lot of risks, generally plays a pretty safe game.

I'm hoping that next game, they will slot Rathbone in. I think the team is still really struggling with Covid recovery, likely with lung capacity, I think we need regular rotation to boost team energy.

• Vintage 2

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think he will ever get to being more than a 5 / 6 D in the league, but personally, I haven't seen him take a lot of risks, generally plays a pretty safe game.

I'm hoping that next game, they will slot Rathbone in. I think the team is still really struggling with Covid recovery, likely with lung capacity, I think we need regular rotation to boost team energy.

Oh for sure. The team is in tough spot for sure. Will be a rough stretch. 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think there would have to be an injury to call Rathbone up from the taxi squad. 

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That doesnt mean you are actually competitive though.

And that is actually not how sports teams operate at all. They dont generally just hope they get lucky. They try to build sustainable conpetitiveness. Well, most do anyway. 

You gotta be lucky to be good and good to be lucky

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Although I wouldn't ride my e bike in heavy traffic, I do really enjoy riding it on the various trails and low traffic roads in my area.  Unfortunately, the lack of common sense and attention to the rules of the road, is giving these electric vehicles a bad name.  But then again, the same can be said for many car, motorcycle or truck drivers as well.

Bingo.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The point is fair. A guy who Van easily could have retained that wanted to be here is outperforming all those bad contracts Benning chose to hanv onto or re-sign instead. 

Except... Toffee would be several goals fewer had he been a Canuck playing the Habs, and not vice versa - and pick any Canuck on that list (with the exception of Eriksson who's inclusion is not really relevant except to make the math worse) and they would have several more goals were they to have been playing for the Habs vs our Canucks

So really, a bit of drivel for a giggle - that's about all.  But it's a dog whistle for the "fire Benning" crowd

• Vintage 3

36 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Not sure why Chatfield was benched in the beginning. Chatfield has defensive liability but not as bad as Hughes and he is our rare defence who can actually provide offence....

Chatfield has had one good game and one ok game.   The rest he was for sure a problem.    Recently he had his good game...who knows maybe he has some left in him.   If he slots in there is a reason, the coaches aren't just throwing darts on a board.   We have three NHL stable defenseman at the moment, Schmidt, Myers and Edler, and Edler 's time is running out.    Next up Hamonic, after that QH's, he's barely played a full season worth of games.    You can bet if Mike Keenan or Torts was here, QHs minutes would be third pairing plus first unit and that's it.    And he'd burn these guys into the ground.    Chatter isn't "rare"... both Schmidt, Myers, Edler heck Hamonic too, are proven commodities on the scoreboard and as NHLers.   QHs is for sure too offensively.   If this was about Rathbone then yeah i could get behind that.    You can bet he's getting ready, because for sure we will see what he can do once we are out for good.   Chatter's tryout with us if coming to an end unless he only plays good games here on out. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, combover said:

Cap and talent management clearly shown to be a Jb strong point. 
jb the laughing stock of the league.

most gms would be fired for this kind of incompetence.

I think the leafs will be pump for revenge after getting embarrassed by us last time .

Jeebus if Ottawa can score 6  on us look out!! 

I see that you’re in your happy place. Team will lose a lot of games from here on out, and you’ll be on your soapbox. Good times. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

nice to see Lind in the line up 

I don't need more chatfield....he is a minor leaguer through and through

this team is gassed and that's a more than reasonable excuse at this point 

BUT 

this team is just simply not good enough to compete at a high level and that is covid or no covid 

pearson-horvat-lind

hoglander-miller-boeser

motte-sutter-hawryluk

vesey-boyd-virtanen

highmore-macewan-michaelis

inj: beagle, roussel and pettersson

hawryluk, vesey, boyd, highmore, macewan and michaelis are 12/13th forwards at best on top of having over paid, under performing players like sutter, virtanen, roussel and beagle.

with that being said those players are allowed to be fringe nhl'ers because they are making league minimum BUT it isnt an excuse to have 4 to 6 of them playing in your line up every night! 

the bar is set so low for our expectations and the consumer confidence is dwindling 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, we're out here. Don't @ me @aGENT

You @'d me! :P

Again, the guy is developing towards being a #6-8D. That's certainly more 'special' than the NHL career you or I had but no, he's not expected to compete with our top prospects...I have no idea why people talk about him like he is :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Nice to see Lind getting a shot. 

Rathbone next I hope,

I have always liked how Green has handled our young players. I recall back to Brock’s rookie season when Travis sat him out for the first two games. There were HOWLS from the fanbase, but Green obviously thought it might light a fire under the kid - perhaps he saw a bit of coasting from Brock after an impressive pre-season - and look at how great his rookie year went.

Seen a lot of impatience about not getting Lind and Rathbone in the lineup (hey, I’m guilty as well) but given how he’s handled Brock,  EP, Quinn, Hog  I’m willing to give Travis the benefit of the doubt. I hope he’s around next year to help transition Podkolzin to the NHL as well.

I’ll be watching every game left this year with great interest with an eye on the future….which, as a lifelong Canuck fan, IS WHAT WE DO. All we can do.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I didn't mind TT.   But come on.   He didn't help the team win during the regular season (think it was maybe 3 wins with BB out), and was a complete non-factor aside from one game in the playoffs (TT rabid dog supporters will just claim he wasn't 100%...well QHs and EP and Myers for sure weren't, but did more).    He's no longer part of the team.  Get over it.   Yes he's having the first or second best season of his career.   Goes to show you what we should expect when our core reaches his age.   Aside from Sundin, i've never seen fans react so crazy over anyone who's barely been part of the team.    Godlike.  Whiffing on Wayne Gretzky was a way bigger deal. 

Agreed. Time for fans to move on. 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 2