The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Don’t think Green’s been that bad, personally. 

If he were losing with a good lineup I’d agree, but you can’t play a collection of players like Hawryluk, Highmore, Virtanen, MacEwan, Boyd and Vesey over a stretch of games and expect to consistently win at the NHL level. And this is with Hughes and Petey on the last years of their ELCs. 

This all keeps coming back to Jim Benning. 

And what is your opinion on the two assistants? 

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

image.jpeg.a43563171dd8dd8f6ce344b4708ed567.jpeg

Meh.  It's easy to make someone look bad when you cherry pick the information.  I could probably make a similar list that would make the Habs cap management look bad (maybe not quite as bad but still one can use real statistics to paint an untrue picture if one tries hard enough).  But I'm not going to bother.  I think we already know that Loui isn't performing up to his paycheque.  I don't think the Habs have all that much to be proud about other than sniping at our bad fortune.  And Canuck "fans" who take the bait are all too willing to fall for the manufactured storyline.  Yes, we're having a bad season but it isn't nearly as bad as journalists who are desperate to sell false storylines want us to believe. 

Go Canucks Go!  (surprise win tonight)

18 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I think it is unlikely he can fire them without approval from above - they would still get paid, and they would need to pay the new assitants - he would not have budget approval for that

Fair enough, but either Benning, the owners, or both, have to make that choice. I think because of these bizarre circumstances that we're all facing, and the fact Green's contract is up after this season, there's no panic on their part to make any radical changes. Let's see how it all plays out in the off season. 

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And what is your opinion on the two assistants? 

Power play should be up near the top of the league with the personnel left.  Elite offensive talent in Hughes.  Threat to score from anywhere on the ice Boeser.  Miller & Horvat.  Zero excuse not to be better.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Honestly I dont see the Canucks having enough ready prospects to fill all the holes and I dont think Benning is the type of GM who can resist signing expensive middling UFA players. 

I think there are a lot of good candidates out there for GM. Doesnt necessarily have to be another rookie GM. Jim Rutherford is available. Not sure if he is a fit, just one example of an experienced guy thats out there.

Rutherford is 72 years old.  

I think we would have to go after an assistant GM, can’t think of many other experienced GMs (Mike Milbury lol) 

4 hours ago, rychicken said:

we just need to go 11-2 over the final 13 to get to 63 points which is believed to be the estimated number of points needed for the playoffs

once we do this, it will rank #2 on the all time most epic things to happen in sports history....narrowing missing out on dethroning Al Bundy's 4 touchdowns to clinch the city championship trophy for Polk High

Now THAT would be a resurgence.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Rutherford is 72 years old.  

I think we would have to go after an assistant GM, can’t think of many other experienced GMs (Mike Milbury lol) 

I am not an ageist. Him being 72 is irrelevent to me. He has tons of experience and knows how to surround himself with quality people. I would far prefer an experienced GM over another assistant GM getting his first gig.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So fricking true. In fact, last week I was walking down a street and there was a guy on his phone coming my way. I said loudly “eyes up” at least four times. He didn’t hear me. I kept walking at my same pace and didn’t change my course. He went flying. And then kept on going. There are a lot of lost people on the streets, Ghost. I Ashcroft them every chance I get.  

Ashcroft as a verb. If nothing else happens today, it's been a good one if for no other reason.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A Biega level player is exactly what people should expect him to develop in to. A cheap, spare D, with some speed and bite, that you can slot in when one of your starting 6 is out.  I have no idea why people don't get this.

Maybe Juolevi's energy is down after having Covid? Maybe he tweeked his knee?  Who knows? 

What I do know, is that like slotting MacEwan in for player X etc, it's not the magic bullet that's going to change the team's fortunes one way or another. And it certainly doesn't require the Inquisition that people are subjecting it to on here, Twitter etc.

yeah the pitchforks are a bit much. This season is toast, I just want to see the kids play as much as possible for their own experience and to evaluate guys for next season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Good news. I’ve never really stopped liking Green as a coach. Again, his development of our young core has been excellent. And I think he actually has squeezed out as much as he can with the roster he’s been given.

I have much more time in questioning as to whether GMJB is the man for his position however. I mean, Travis would look like a much better coach if Toffoli hadn’t gotten away from us. 

Still thought the airplane banner was idiocy though.

• Like 1