The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I did notice that too, got a little involved on the defensive end.

There was one play where he kind of drifted off to the side on a rush, was wide open for a one timer. But the puck carrier didn't see him & took a nothing shot instead.

If he can continue to play well & build off this I could see him as a legit option for the top 9 next season, which I wouldn't have thought prior if I'm being honest.

In the season opening presser, Jimbo said that he's being groomed to be the 4th line center. He and MacEwen have chemistry, and for once we won't have a 4th line with stone hands. *if he works out.

Edited by xereau

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

hahaha, ffs maybe i should put the beer down.

Sounds like it, one vivid memory I do have was at the dinner table when he wanted something was how many times he used the word please and thank you, I was amazed at his politeness after having an opinion of him from how he played hockey.

Just now, xereau said:

In the season opening presser, Jimbo said that he's being groomed to be the 4th line center. He and MacEwen have chemistry, and for once we won't have a 4th line with stone hands. *if he works out.

I don't see why would would limit him to that. He has the smarts and skill to be a good middle 6 forward down the line IMO.

Just now, xereau said:

It's his foot in the door.

Fair enough. Considering how much our bottom 6 needs improvement, I'd give both he & Podkolzin every opportunity to be the best players they can be right away.

This is basically what I see with our forward group as far as who's worth keeping around next season; 

Miller / Pettersson / Boeser

Pearson / Horvat / Hoglander

____ / ____ / Podkolzin

Motte / Beagle / ____

- Need to find a good 3C. 

- Maybe/hopefully Lind can fill a winger spot

- I know Roussel is still under contract, but not sure what you can expect from him at this point.

- I'd like to keep MacEwen around, been a down year for him but I think he can be a useful player - even if its as a depth guy that adds muscle

- Praying its the end of Virtanen & Eriksson. 

• Like 2

Looks like going 1-3 against the Sens was the turning point in the season.

I don't buy the fatigue excuse, none of the players look tired, they're just making sloppy plays and not executing, similar to when we went through a big slump. Of course Green will get a free pass this season because of Covid but management really need to take a closer look.

Shame, we had a decent chance with so many games in hand against Ottawa and Calgary and we blew it. Might end up with a top-5 pick again though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like going 1-3 against the Sens was the turning point in the season.

I don't buy the fatigue excuse, none of the players look tired, they're just making sloppy plays and not executing, similar to when we went through a big slump. Of course Green will get a free pass this season because of Covid but management really need to take a closer look.

Shame, we had a decent chance with so many games in hand against Ottawa and Calgary and we blew it. Might end up with a top-5 pick again though.

Not having enough energy to skate, or difficult to breath will make one look sloppy and lazy on TV. We as outsiders will never know how the players truely feels, and since they went through some really scary outbreaks just a few weeks ago, I would just cut the team some slack as a fan.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. Considering how much our bottom 6 needs improvement, I'd give both he & Podkolzin every opportunity to be the best players they can be right away.

This is basically what I see with our forward group as far as who's worth keeping around next season; 

Miller / Pettersson / Boeser

Pearson / Horvat / Hoglander

____ / ____ / Podkolzin

Motte / Beagle / ____

- Need to find a good 3C. 

- Maybe/hopefully Lind can fill a winger spot

- I know Roussel is still under contract, but not sure what you can expect from him at this point.

- I'd like to keep MacEwen around, been a down year for him but I think he can be a useful player - even if its as a depth guy that adds muscle

- Praying its the end of Virtanen & Eriksson. 

1 Petey

2a Miller

2b Bo

Bo already takes the bulk of the shut down work, and Green's admitted to thinking about this scenario. Miller only ever took the draws for Petey, who played C and Miller on wing for the past 2 years. He's gotten much better in the circle, and doesn't need the shelter any longer. That's one of the best top 3C in the league right there, and each with their own niche to kill. Reminds me of when Trev dropped back to 3C to anchor the checkers.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

1 Petey

2a Miller

2b Bo

Bo already takes the bulk of the shut down work, and Green's admitted to thinking about this scenario. Miller only ever took the draws for Petey, who played C and Miller on wing for the past 2 years. He's gotten much better in the circle, and doesn't need the shelter any longer. That's one of the best top 3C in the league right there, and each with their own niche to kill. Reminds me of when Trev dropped back to 3C to anchor the checkers.

That could work. Maybe put Podkolzin on the top line, Pearson with Horvat (And... Motte?). Then need some skill wingers for Miller.

• Cheers 1

I gotta say, Hughes is playing horrible defense. He looks like a little kid out there skating out of position and lost in some goals. That's gotta hurt the team a lot when he logs 23-25 minutes a game. Hes gotta figure out how to play defense with his size, or all the hype as #1 defenseman is nothing. 

1 hour ago, xereau said:

623874789_MoveFeetMovePuck.png.9631ecbabc8e37877e103ddb1fa0dcaf.png

who do you think have changed the game more the players or the coaches?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/10-events-that-changed-the-sport-of-hockey/

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-20-hockey-players-who-changed-the-game-for-better-or-worse/

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/most-valuable-gare-joyce/1130783372

this is all i could find on how to improve our pk. sign bergeron and marchand,or put hughes/chatfield and petey on the pk, but put hughes/chatfield in the forward spot

it's definitely a oddball idea, but i believe hughes and petey have the best chance to mimic bostons success. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/marchand-scores-shg/t-323929632/c-8208286

https://www.nhl.com/video/reinharts-ppg-evens-the-score/t-323872364/c-8151384

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=560641061408771

https://news.yahoo.com/brad-marchand-explains-shorthanded-mentality-141900569.html

boston collapses on zone entry, columbus forces to the outside.

if hughes became successful enough on the pk as a forward I would consider running a 11-7 setup

Edited by Petey_BOI

18 minutes ago, xereau said:

Yup

Motte Horvat Pearson sounds like a winner to me.

Motte's a 4th liner. That line isn't generating enough offence to be a 2nd line. Keep Motte on the 4th line, we need Gadjovich/Lind/UFA/Draft to step into the top 9

Flank Miller with Lind and Gadjovich. We still have Virtanen laying around. 

Edited by Plum
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I gotta say, Hughes is playing horrible defense. He looks like a little kid out there skating out of position and lost in some goals. That's gotta hurt the team a lot when he logs 23-25 minutes a game. Hes gotta figure out how to play defense with his size, or all the hype as #1 defenseman is nothing. 

Yeah guys, top five all time offensive starts to any Defenseman's career is nothing guys. Just tied Chris Chelios guys, but he's nothing if he can't keep the puck out of the net guys.

Guys?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Not having enough energy to skate, or difficult to breath will make one look sloppy and lazy on TV. We as outsiders will never know how the players truely feels, and since they went through some really scary outbreaks just a few weeks ago, I would just cut the team some slack as a fan.

The players got upset with the false reports the media was spewing out. They all passed their medical and over came their illness. Stop using Covid as an excuse. The team was playing terrible before Covid hit as well. 

46 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't see why would would limit him to that. He has the smarts and skill to be a good middle 6 forward down the line IMO.

i don't think it would hurt to start on the 4th line, the comets offensive success was the old power forward in front and bringing shots from  the point, we have zach to be the big body, when plays well he gets rewarded with ice time, ala motte.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

The players got upset with the false reports the media was spewing out. They all passed their medical and over came their illness. Stop using Covid as an excuse. The team was playing terrible before Covid hit as well. 

im pretty sure they were 6-3-1 and before those final 2 losses we ot hit with the injury bug.

people will continue to use covid as a excuse because they have intelligent well thought out ways of viewing how taking 3 weeks off  from a game due to sickness is not a advantage. also it sccrewed up our very reasonable schedule and turned in  to 4 games in 6 nights

• Vintage 1