[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Is that your dating profile?

thanks for your bio though 

interesting stuff 

here you want some.

something something got to go fast, turtles and bull$&!# is a thing of my past. ask me if i like hiking?

do you prefer eccentric men who will treat you mildly ok? swipe now!

that's gold jerry, gold!

Edited by Petey_BOI

So Simmonds fights an old guy still recovering from covid and the Leaves fans think thats "toughness" :lol: that was a cowardly move, code or not. Simmonds should have challenged MacEwan if he really wanted to send a message but instead he beat up the class nerd. Cool beans. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. Considering how much our bottom 6 needs improvement, I'd give both he & Podkolzin every opportunity to be the best players they can be right away.

This is basically what I see with our forward group as far as who's worth keeping around next season; 

Miller / Pettersson / Boeser

Pearson / Horvat / Hoglander

____ / ____ / Podkolzin

Motte / Beagle / ____

- Need to find a good 3C. 

- Maybe/hopefully Lind can fill a winger spot

- I know Roussel is still under contract, but not sure what you can expect from him at this point.

- I'd like to keep MacEwen around, been a down year for him but I think he can be a useful player - even if its as a depth guy that adds muscle

- Praying its the end of Virtanen & Eriksson. 

The ED will sort this out cause all of the players above will need to be protected.

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I swear to god, if the rumours are true and Green got an offer then this is without a doubt the worst day in the history of our team. Give me your googlie  eyes but while your at it save a link so in 2030 I can say “I told you so.”

You quoted yourself? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So Simmonds fights an old guy still recovering from covid and the Leaves fans think thats "toughness" :lol: that was a cowardly move, code or not. Simmonds should have challenged MacEwan if he really wanted to send a message but instead he beat up the class nerd. Cool beans. 

Class nerd - good take.  Simmonds only cares about what the Laffs fans thinks but great context about his opponent.  

• Vintage 2

59 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I just think reporters are looking way too into it. There isn't a "protect the old man because he lost a fight" code. It could just be a veteran showing that sometimes you need to answer to stuff and then unfortunately just didn't know how to fight. Had he gotten a few punches in, nobody would be talking about the incident. But Edler just didn't know how to fight and that's just kind of the end of the story. 

Like I said, it's Vancouver media just creating stories because that's what they do. 

i agree on that... hats off to Edler for showing, that you win, even if you lose a fight... respect.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

no way, I got way better hair than him.

like i said before i'm basically exactly as i describe myself, someone with bi-polar. i tend to have OCD like symptoms and cumpulsively binge on statistics. it's a modest life but i do enjoy it. I also have another typical symptom of bi-polar that oozes from writing, over-confidence. yea know like kanye west where he believed he was a better rapper than Jay-Z. but we can and often reflect on some of the pretentious things we blabber on about.

i literally said we should have hughes as the forward on the pk. so he can play like Marchand and gain puck possesion while killing. and because of my over confidence i think it possibly could work. I'm pretty "creative" and believe there's room to have fun interesting proposals on what we would do if we were the gm our coach. i just don't take it so seriously that i resort to what I would describe as being a hater.

I'm a foolish boy with a wild imagination and even wilder hair. but it is pretty ironic that i preach wisdom/advice it's exactly the opposite tendency of a wise man.

Your honesty is refreshing and thanks for reminded the CDC.   Nothing wrong with focusing your energy on stats and hockey information, keep it up and in a couple decades you could become a hockey historian yourself.   Nice to have someone else on here that has the teams back too.   I get that losing sucks, that playoffs would have been amazing, another underdog chapter worth remembering for a long time.   What i don't get is how hard some posters can be on the team, which includes the coaching staff and management - not just the players.   Given the off season, the massive transformation the teams had over the past 100 games or so,  the schedule, and of course now more then anything, Covid, saying things like garbage about anyone on the team seems shallow and distasteful.

Seems like we both feel the same on the subject.  Why not instead, be proud of where we have got despite these things, enjoy the hockey we have, and look forward to the future instead?  We still have an awesome stable of young stallions learning how to run.   It's a bad look on our team to have fans that upset over losing games post covid.   Like kicking someone when they are down.   Elder standing up knowing he was going to take a beating from Simmonds, is a lot like what the teams up against with their schedule and physical abilities right now.   Had my vaccine two days ago and don't feel quite right.   Working out is difficult to say the least.   Couldn't imagine how hard it is to push to the max a week or so after being sick.   Adrenaline ran out. 

Going through something like this, and TG included because he was very ill, was actually worried at one point for himself, came back well before he was 100%.   Look at him and look at pictures from before.   His chin is back!    Point is there is a silver lining too.   This could be a galvenizing thing, and as fans the right then to do is to support them,  not kick them in the shins, and then bury a boot in their gut when they are down.   Holtby ... what a boss to come in and give the team some hope.   Won't ever cheer for the team to lose,  at the same time we can also get excited about the draft, something we got used to doing for four years of so... well there is that too.  Another blue chip ELC coming up in two years will be very good for the teams future.   

Rebuilds like ours, a top team with very little recycling and one player to work with in Horvat take time.   Bubble didn't confuse JB, he let CAL double down on key players and spend 80 million.   Why be the same team that couldn't do anything against Vegas?    Patience.  The roster is getting closer, but it isn't there yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am just stating the fact. I do believe Hughes's getting overworked and toppled with the COVID pause his physical and mental prowess isn't 100%. As a result he hasn't been his best and with the schedule picking up now and don't believe he's gonna improve at the rate he's playing.

What I am suggesting is cutting back on his time and giving our youngsters more time. Balance out the ice-time amongst the D. I just want to make sure these guys end the year healthy. Playing with fatigue both mentally and physically puts you in a better environment to get hurt and I don't want that.

To me it’s still clear that Green is going to continue coaching like his team is fighting for a playoff spot until they are officially eliminated and maybe he feels like continuing to ride Hughes is his best bet despite his drop off in play. It just goes to show you how much depth this team lacks having to ride your best players into the ground in order to give your team a punchers chance to win games. That’s not necessarily on Green either as he himself is fighting for a new contract. That’s on the GM not giving his coach the horses needed to ice a legitimate, well rounded roster that doesn’t rely on a handful of players to win you games. It’s like beating the old drum over and over again in Vancouver when it comes to lack of depth. It’s plagued this team for years and until they can solve that issue people can’t always point the finger at the coach as he’s only going with what he was given. 

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Umm wrong 

and the sub 500 record backs that up 

my stats show the canucks rank 26th for gf% and 30th for xgf% averaged between 2014-2021.

what was it 4 years ago we finished 3rd to last last year we overperformed in the weakest division in the weakest conference. then somehow think we were going to improve when you put better teams like winnepeg toronto edmonton and montreal and 2 lesser team in calgary and ottawa and mash them all together.

i'd, say the canucks are shooting par for the course this year

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know what team you were watching but the Canucks have had a disastrous season.
THIS WAS BEFORE COVID. 

A condensed schedule like now will not help but they got themselves into this mess.

BEFORE COVID.

So let me get this straight you mean BEFORE COVID?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. Considering how much our bottom 6 needs improvement, I'd give both he & Podkolzin every opportunity to be the best players they can be right away.

This is basically what I see with our forward group as far as who's worth keeping around next season; 

Miller / Pettersson / Boeser

Pearson / Horvat / Hoglander

____ / ____ / Podkolzin

Motte / Beagle / ____

- Need to find a good 3C. 

- Maybe/hopefully Lind can fill a winger spot

- I know Roussel is still under contract, but not sure what you can expect from him at this point.

- I'd like to keep MacEwen around, been a down year for him but I think he can be a useful player - even if its as a depth guy that adds muscle

- Praying its the end of Virtanen & Eriksson. 

I think that top 6 would be decent when healthy.

Question for me is Beagle.  Is he coming back?  I heard a while back that there is a question whether he will be able to play next season due to his injury.  Heard nothing since.  Having said that, I think he's gone once his contract is done.

I think that right now, Benning is pretty much auditioning players to fill in the blanks for next season.  There are injuries at this time and it is the perfect time to slot in some players.  The list:  Virtanen, Vessey, Lind, MacEwen, Hawryluk, Highmore, Michaelis, Boyd.  

There's the possibility of re-signing Sutter (at about half his present salary and for a short term).  He's clearly a short term (2 year) place holder.

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I woke up this morning still really pissed off about the Simmonds-Edler "fight".  Why was that necessary again?  It not only shows that the Leafs are low class but the entire NHL.  How could that not be seen as premeditated?  How can the refs or anyone watching think that it came out of the flow of the game?  It wasn't Edler who wanted the fight.  How many fights has he started in his long career?  It was clearly and obviously premeditated and instigated by Simmonds.  I don't like the instigator penalty but if the NHL is going to have it on the books then it needs to be called fairly.  The NHL so clearly has a problem with its officiating standards.  If it were the other way around the Canucks would have got the penalty.  In fact I can remove the "if", the Canucks did get an instigator penalty for nothing worse recently.

And furthermore Edler didn't even fight.  He didn't throw a single punch.  He just tried to defend himself (and didn't even do a good job of that).  It used to be if one guy punched and the other guy did nothing more than defend they used to give one guy 5 and the other guy 2 (though I still can't figure out why being punched is a penalty at all).  So let's review what actually happened: the previous game Edler stuck out his leg and got a penalty for it.  It was deemed to be a dangerous play and he got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.  On top of that he got a two game suspension.  Enter Simmonds and suddenly Edler "deserves" to be punched in the head repeatedly and the refs who represent the NHL on the ice seem to agree.  A match penalty and a two game suspension for sticking out your leg.  OK.  But repeatedly punching someone in the head, that's fine and somehow it's even "required" to settle some invisible score.  That's not "the code" that's just straight up BS, and not only BS, it's yet another obvious example of corrupt officiating that has gone way beyond just a missed call here or there. 

NHL refereeing has become a completely corrupt culture of dishing out random favours and something has to be done about it before the NHL becomes nothing more than professional wrestling on ice.

Nothing new; do you still remember the Habs game were Anderson had a breakaway in OT due to an interference in the neutral zone - Anderson was so surprised he missed the net.  More baffling than the no call was the non existence post game coverage of the no call (in some highlights, they only showed the breakaway).

The original 6 bias with Zebras has been very obvious - imo - this year; that is why I call them game managers instead. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darth Canuck said:

Point 1: I’m so happy for Lind, thought he played well. Keep him with Bo and Pearson, keep Hogs with Miller and Brock.

point 2: I’m quite disgusted with Simmons fighting Edler. Those morons on sportsnet web page are gushing at how awesome that was. Real knuckle dragging, mono brow stuff over there.

point 3: Green, Holtby are starting to look healthier. This team should have a had another week off. Quinn is way off. Sit that boy, he needs rest.

point 4: no practices, and it shows. Sloppy. Even, super sloppy! Or even spongy....

death by Snu Snu! 

Go Canucks!

Tbh... We would probably have been the same, had somebody knocked Matthesons head clean off after he injured Petey... 

Biggest problem to me was, nobody in the team seemed to be interested... Frack Simmons... go and nail Nylander or another hairdresser and see how they like it...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

To me it’s still clear that Green is going to continue coaching like his team is fighting for a playoff spot until they are officially eliminated and maybe he feels like continuing to ride Hughes is his best bet despite his drop off in play. It just goes to show you how much depth this team lacks having to ride your best players into the ground in order to give your team a punchers chance to win games. That’s not necessarily on Green either as he himself is fighting for a new contract. That’s on the GM not giving his coach the horses needed to ice a legitimate, well rounded roster that doesn’t rely on a handful of players to win you games. It’s like beating the old drum over and over again in Vancouver when it comes to lack of depth. It’s plagued this team for years and until they can solve that issue people can’t always point the finger at the coach as he’s only going with what he was given. 

Maybe the entire team is tired and it's not just QHs?   When he's healthy he still has issues defensively, TG then goes to the same well to try and get the team back on the scoreboard because it's his best chance, quite often it just leads to more pucks in the net - on this point i'm not sure TG gets it yet.   As far as depth goes ... well we finally do have decent depth.   What we are lacking though is blue chip veteran support.   With 12 million collecting dust on the sidelines ... well two extra Schmidt/Myers/Miller types would sure make a lot of those one or two goal games until the goalies pulled end up in our favour wouldn't it?  So i agree JB is culpable for that.    Don't see this as a total disaster either.   It's really too bad for sure.   But when your two best players are 21 it's not the end of the world either.   That would be like Detroit.   Now in their second rebuild because they didn't draft well enough to make a go of their first one.   Can't have it both ways unless you happen to be late 2000's CHI.     

EPs and QHs contracts won't break the bank.  If JB keeps his job, which i'm almost positive he will, he's either going to go down as one of our best GMs ever, or a total villain for wrecking the cap while these guys are 24-32.   In a way we are in the cat bird seat with flat cap and solid blue chip UFA options coming in a year from now.   Our first window which is opening in a year or so (JB says two, I think it could be one),  that benched money is going to be the biggest chance this team has in becoming a contender.    With Myers and LE as the top earners, EP soon to be and QHs in the same range as BB-LE.... this teams cap is in great shape.   No overpaid superstars.   No Trouba at 8x8...same with Skinner.   I'd rather have two Miller, Horvat and Motte then McDavid anyday.    As for Travis Green.  He's homegrown, deserves props for developing these guys, hasn't lost the room, and is gaining experience.   Hope he's along for the ride as that means success.   

Also understand that change is sometimes needed.   Next year is my bar , the team doesn't make the playoffs in our division,  that's the time to make it.   Firing a coach for this season isn't a good look at all.  For the players.  And for the team. 

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

i agree on that... hats off to Edler for showing, that you win, even if you lose a fight... respect.

it just made Edler look like the better man. No way does a more self-respecting fighter like Lucic or Reaves do that, they'd challenge MacEwan. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 2

I'm finding myself not agreeing with some of you good folks.

If a large Dman from another team had injured one of our players with a knee on knee... the next game Mac goes and tells him he should answer the bell and he accepts.... I believe that Zack would have received a lot of support from this fan base.

I am no Simmonds fan and the lack of an instigator call is BS. 

But this is hockey and we have seen this code/between the boards kind of justice hundreds of times. 

It made Eagle look great, proved he is a man that can take a lick and answer for his mistake. Great leadership. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2