The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm finding myself not agreeing with some of you good folks.

If a large Dman from another team had injured one of our players with a knee on knee... the next game Mac goes and tells him he should answer the bell and he accepts.... I believe that Zack would have received a lot of support from this fan base.

I am no Simmonds fan and the lack of an instigator call is BS. 

But this is hockey and we have seen this code/between the boards kind of justice hundreds of times. 

It made Eagle look great, proved he is a man that can take a lick and answer for his mistake. Great leadership. 

Here's why I disagree.....if their player got a 3 game suspension I believe our team would feel it was "settled" and there'd be no follow up.

The code is taking care of unfinished business and generally that happens in real time or the next time the teams play.  But when the league steps in and a player's missed games, it should be a closed book at that point (in my view).  Carry over gets dangerous.

And away from all of that....why is there no instigator?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it just made Edler look like the better man. No way does a more self-respecting fighter like Lucic or Reaves do that, they'd challenge MacEwan. 

As you or someone above said, why was there no instigator penalty on that "fight"? Reaves was on the ice to do one thing, and one thing only! That might be the first time I've ever seen Edler take his gloves off. Hopefully the young kids see that too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Here's why I disagree.....if their player got a 3 game suspension I believe our team would feel it was "settled" and there'd be no follow up.

The code is taking care of business and generally that happen in real time.  But when the league steps in, it should be a closed book (in my view).

I respect your view as always. You have a point.

Didn't Eddie get two games? 

Anyway, I also didn't think it was too much of a beating either. One nice punch, Eddie sucked it up. Moved on. 

You gotta admit though we would probably be calling Leafs fans a bunch of whiners if the roles were reversed?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

As you or someone above said, why was there no instigator penalty on that "fight"? Reaves was on the ice to do one thing, and one thing only! That might be the first time I've ever seen Edler take his gloves off. Hopefully the young kids see that too.

Sorry, meant Simmonds.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I'm also factoring in that the golden teams get extra help and inconsistent application of the rules.  The instigator would have made this a non issue for me.

This I agree with 1000%

Absolute joke, the inconsistency. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Your honesty is refreshing and thanks for reminded the CDC.   Nothing wrong with focusing your energy on stats and hockey information, keep it up and in a couple decades you could become a hockey historian yourself.   Nice to have someone else on here that has the teams back too.   I get that losing sucks, that playoffs would have been amazing, another underdog chapter worth remembering for a long time.   What i don't get is how hard some posters can be on the team, which includes the coaching staff and management - not just the players.   Given the off season, the massive transformation the teams had over the past 100 games or so,  the schedule, and of course now more then anything, Covid, saying things like garbage about anyone on the team seems shallow and distasteful.

Seems like we both feel the same on the subject.  Why not instead, be proud of where we have got despite these things, enjoy the hockey we have, and look forward to the future instead?  We still have an awesome stable of young stallions learning how to run.   It's a bad look on our team to have fans that upset over losing games post covid.   Like kicking someone when they are down.   Elder standing up knowing he was going to take a beating from Simmonds, is a lot like what the teams up against with their schedule and physical abilities right now.   Had my vaccine two days ago and don't feel quite right.   Working out is difficult to say the least.   Couldn't imagine how hard it is to push to the max a week or so after being sick.   Adrenaline ran out. 

Going through something like this, and TG included because he was very ill, was actually worried at one point for himself, came back well before he was 100%.   Look at him and look at pictures from before.   His chin is back!    Point is there is a silver lining too.   This could be a galvenizing thing, and as fans the right then to do is to support them,  not kick them in the shins, and then bury a boot in their gut when they are down.   Holtby ... what a boss to come in and give the team some hope.   Won't ever cheer for the team to lose,  at the same time we can also get excited about the draft, something we got used to doing for four years of so... well there is that too.  Another blue chip ELC coming up in two years will be very good for the teams future.   

Rebuilds like ours, a top team with very little recycling and one player to work with in Horvat take time.   Bubble didn't confuse JB, he let CAL double down on key players and spend 80 million.   Why be the same team that couldn't do anything against Vegas?    Patience.  The roster is getting closer, but it isn't there yet. 

i aprreciate the kind words, i wouldn't mind being a historian,  i'd be the guy buttingheads with all the offensive stat worshippers, trying to prove that patrice bergeron belongs in the top 50 best forwards

yeah i describe 2016/2017 as a mess. i think benning had some tough decisions that year, i even think the gudbranson trade was good at the time, if gudbranson could reinvent himself on a new team that would have been huge. 

i think willie was so desperate to find a diamond in the rough he tried every player that had a contract with the canucks. they were so bad you put a bag over top of the first bag for extra protection if it wasn't for miller and markstrom we would have been last place.

I actually heard a rumor that the reason the sedins continue to do charity for vancouver is because after that season they owed the city of vancouver a life debt.

I heard another rumor that Gudbranson was literally throwing games in vancouver because he was heart broken and missed Lou's funny antics,and got stuck with a group of serious swedes.

I heard another rumour that the coach started the season with a speech. he said the key to that years success was that everyone would have to buy in and put in the same effort as the top players. And they Did!

losing can be fun, the reddit boys are doing a pretty good job this year.

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The code is taking care of unfinished business and generally that happens in real time or the next time the teams play.  But when the league steps in and a player's missed games, it should be a closed book at that point (in my view).  Carry over gets dangerous.

And away from all of that....why is there no instigator?  

There should have been an instigator if Hamonic is any criteria. That said I have no problem with Simmons challenging Eddie. It’s hockey. Eddie knew that and didn’t dodge the fight like Thachuk would likely have. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Let's say for a minute. Benning gets fired. Ownership needs to find a new GM. And even if it was quick. The new GM can't really make any deals because the deadline has passed. The new GM would also want to evaluate what he has. The new GM would have to review what we're looking for in the draft. What players to keep for the Expansion Draft. Maybe he would make changes in the offseason, maybe he wouldn't. Chances are Green and staff would be let go. Maybe they would renew Clark. 

Basically you're starting over again. And pushing back things probably another year. Given how impatient some fans are, how much latitude would you give to a new GM?

They can't work miracles overnight. No amount of blarney will convince another GM to take Eriksson off our hands. So really we're not much farther ahead. 

Just a new face people can armchair GM with. 

I am not convinced that a new GM could not actually turn this ship around faster than Benning will be able to. There is a lot of cap space upcoming. The last thing we need is Benning using it up on more of the same kind of middling bottom 6 guys on long contracts or worse swing for the fences on a $&!#ty trade like for oel or sign a regret immediately ufa.  

This is the perfect time for a new GM. Gives him a bit of time to assess and tweak while actually planning what kind of team he wants. With the ability cap wise soon to make it a reality.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Let's say for a minute. Benning gets fired. Ownership needs to find a new GM. And even if it was quick. The new GM can't really make any deals because the deadline has passed. The new GM would also want to evaluate what he has. The new GM would have to review what we're looking for in the draft. What players to keep for the Expansion Draft. Maybe he would make changes in the offseason, maybe he wouldn't. Chances are Green and staff would be let go. Maybe they would renew Clark. 

Basically you're starting over again. And pushing back things probably another year. Given how impatient some fans are, how much latitude would you give to a new GM?

They can't work miracles overnight. No amount of blarney will convince another GM to take Eriksson off our hands. So really we're not much farther ahead. 

Maybe when Jim Benning becomes a GM of another club he'll want to trade for Eriksson!:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

This I agree with 1000%

Absolute joke, the inconsistency. 

I felt so pleased to read this respectful and thoughtful exchange between you and Deb, and then so deeply saddened that it stood out so much from the norm on messageboards. Thank V for the fact we have good posters on these boards to shine some light in the darkness.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well I also count the game that the incident occurred in because we lost him there, too.

Thing is, I'm not really basing it on the severity of the beating....mostly just the "overkill" element of it all.

But you're right....if it's our guys we would be fully supportive.    I'm also factoring in that the golden teams get extra help and inconsistent application of the rules.  The instigator would have made this a non issue for me.  How that penalty isn't assessed there is mind boggling to me.

The same ref that called Hamonic for his fight on Tkachuk for an instigator and 10 min misconduct was working last night and did not. The inconsistency of the refs calling is mystifying and really shows a wide disparity of quality of the officials in the game. 

Additionally, last night's fight of Simmonds pummeling on Edler again brings to light the lack of actual definition of the code and the many mini codes within the code to a point I dont think anyone has a solid/concrete understanding what is in the code and what is not in the code.

The ambiguity of both situations is what bothers me the most. So much arbitrary aspects to it all...both taking away from the game in of itself which is the greatest shame of it all. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen, i put you on ignore, but i see everything still.

your arguments continue to lack substance to prove your narrative, they are literally a biased opinion, nothing more nothing less.

again, i will express how i respond to all or nothing biased views, with no facts to support those views.

if you are going to argue that the team sucked before covid, without being honest about thier successes. expect a argument to prove that these POV'S are not 100% true.

if someone on this board uses vulgar language to bring home those posts, and especially if the vulgairity is in the form of a insult. I will bring the same respect   the poster brought for the target of thier vulgarity.

these are real people with families. imagine thier famlies, imagine them reading these posts,imagine thier son or daughter being bullied because thier father is talked about so negatively.

you have clearly stated several times now, you don't care about what people think you or your arguments. unfortunately this is the reality for other posters from this forum. 

all i ask of you is to imagine thier family is in the  same conversation as you, when you make criticisms. 

the truth is anger,hate,spite and lies just leads to yourself and other people becoming angry,stressed and possibly depressed.

you and everyone are a important person person in this world. Actions matter and reaction's are expected.

Not sure what you are blathering on about. I give Benning, Green, etc credit when they do good things. And I criticize them when they do dumb things. I am not a "hater" like you seem to keep suggesting. 

I dont care what people think of my opinions and they should not care what I think of theirs. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have made an argument on here personal. I have opinions, I argue them. 

You yourself have called me an idiot, a sociopath, a liar, and several other insults that have nothing to do with talking hockey on a forum. Did you stop to think how my family would feel if they read that about me?

Ya, hypocritville called, they want their mayor back.

And please just stop PM'ing me with your continued insults. It just makes me pity you for taking someone elses opinion on hockey so seriously. There are more important things in the world to focus your stress on. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

Inglourious Basterds Bingo GIF

• Cheers 2