The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Maybe.   But like it or not ownership is behind him, pretty sure TG too.   He avoided 80 million in contracts last offseason and let CAL pick up the bulk of it and look where that got them.  Instead picked up Schmidt (whom we need more of and not less), acquired JT Miller and Myers a year before that ... that's excellent asset management given our roster.   For sure he screwed up with LE, and Bear - Luongo isn't on him at all.  Sutter, Beagle and AR aren't garbage like some like to continue to believe, they are serviceable vets signed when our team still sucked or was about to suck in Sutters case.   LE and Bear is our wasted cap space the rest - any team can be cherry picked for that, and most can for LE and Bear too.  Get the anxiety over it, i have it too.   In plain english he avoided creating more of a mess last season, kept his pool, picks aside from Schmidt which is a fleecing for our team and signed Demko to a fair deal.    He's improved with time, drafted the pool despite the mess he was handed, and had done enough to earn the right for awhile at least to put some finishing touches on it. 

The owners have said that they would eventually add a president of hockey opps. No one can blame them for not adding to their casts during this covid mess. Hopefully they will fill this position as we come out of the lockdowns.  It would be nice to see someone with a proven record.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Wow, he dropped the puck, and bowls over Motte,  that's straight up interference,  and pretty dangerous at that, Motte has no time to take a hit as he doesn't have the puck. Motte shouldn't have to brace for hit he's the defender. Liljegren doesn't even contact the shoulders, it's straight a body/head shot.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The owners have said that they would eventually add a president of hockey opps. No one can blame them for not adding to their casts during this covid mess. Hopefully they will fill this position as we come out of the lockdowns.  It would be nice to see someone with a proven record.

Yes.   It is an important position.   Keeps meddling to a minimum.   I see this happening once fans get back to games and it's not an extra expense for the club .    Everyone has to tighten their belt these days ... and yes for a lot of these guys it's choosing beachfront third property or Mt. Chalet. 

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The league's clear bias with certain teams was one full display last night. Simmonds not getting an instigator and game misconduct for his mugging of Edler and Liljgern's hit on Motte were proof. If Hamonic had attacked Marner like that degenerate Simmonds did Edler, he'd have been booted from the game.

This league is such an inconsistent joke and is run by scumbags. 

Funny thing is, when we get away with one i'm sure that fanbase is screaming foul just as loud.   Yes the reffing has and will always be a problem with the league, and yes any team can make examples of why their team gets the worst of it.   Maybe some easier then others ... 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

5 on five scoring chances against …

During Green’s tenure we have been consistently ranked 31st in the league

let that sink in 

And it gets better with our PP ?   (or 6 on 5 where we ALWAYS give up the empty netter)

I’d like to see another angle of the Liljegren hit as to where the principal point of contact was and if he left his feet or not.

From the clip above, I dont have an issue with the hit from that angle. Liljegren beat Motte to throwing the hit first. You can see Motte is about to throw a hit on Liljegren, but he gets popped first. Pay attention to Motte’s arms/elbows and the way Motte is tracking, he is going in for a hit, tucking his elbow in to brace and deliver a check. Liljegren surprised him and beat him to the check. Its not interference, if it was, flip the hit around is it still interference if Motte pops Liljegren and drops him? Or is that “finishing a check”

With that being said, I would like to see the reverse angle and side angle to take another look at this “dirty” hit that everyone’s talking about

Edited by knucklehead91

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I’d like to see another angle of the Liljegren hit as to where the principal point of contact was and if he left his feet or not.

From the clip above, I dont have an issue with the hit from that angle. Liljegren beat Motte to throwing the hit first. You can see Motte is about to throw a hit on Liljegren, but he gets popped first. Pay attention to Motte’s arm/elbow and the may Motte is tracking, he is going in for a hit, tucking his elbow in to brace and deliver a check. Liljegren surprised him and beat him to the check. Its not interference, if it was, flip the hit around is it still interference if Motte pops Liljegren and drops him? Or is that “finishing a check”

With that being said, I would like to see the reverse angle and side angle to take another look at this “dirty” hit that everyone’s talking about

I’ve only seen replays on my phone so it’s entirely possible I’m missing something, but it doesn’t look particularly dirty to me either. 

Blaming the Swedes for a soft team is not very bright. 

There are only a few on this team yet it is their fault the whole team is soft. And why are the Swedes here? Did they get Naslund, Sedins and EP because they produce more points then the others or did they draft EP because of his massive stature and toughness. NO, this is the gm`s doing 100% so blame him.

You get what you pick when you build a team. There are plenty of Canadians and Americans on this soft team, some with some really poor skills so why arent they beating people up?

Feistyness is an individual thing, pick feisty guys if you want a feisty team, blaming a certain country...think again. 

However, i fully understand and agree about the Edler "fight", why the hell didnt he throw at least one or two real punches before he turtled like that, and Sedins not standing up for themselves is embarrasing. Those incidents are just plain weak in my eyes, even if you are not good or used to fighting you at least have to punch back.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Funny thing is, when we get away with one i'm sure that fanbase is screaming foul just as loud.

Great. When have the Canucks gotten away with something they’ve done to the Leafs? Was it Kadri’s elbow to Daniel? 

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes the reffing has and will always be a problem with the league, and yes any team can make examples of why their team gets the worst of it.   Maybe some easier then others ... 

solid observation 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

It has been like what 3 years since Linden left that job vacant. Kinda hard to give Aqua a pass there without seeing he is a cheap stake when it comes to the front office. 

59 minutes ago, xereau said:

Keep in mind that this is the passive 'system' incarnate.

Encouraging shots in order to get the puck back may sound okay on paper, but.. in reality it's awful to watch at times.

And if your goalie doesn't stand on his head, it's game over before the game's even begun.

Clearly he doesn't give a single $&!# about metrics or any traditional analytics when it comes to D zone systems, or hell, even what the fans think of the hot garbage he puts forward as 'entertainment'. Remember this.. this is supposed to be entertainment.. are you entertained????

In Green's defense, the passive system is designed to befuddle a single opponent a single time, before the team moves onto the next. The moment any team has time to adjust from game to game, ie, this season OR the playoffs, it's going to be eviscerated, especially against puck possession/pursuit teams like Vegas.

Fans should be disgusted that this is the best idea with which he could come up, and it reeks of incompetence. It also reeks of stubbornness and unwillingness and or inability to adapt.

Towards the end of the really bad stretch this season, the last game of their road trip in Toronto (whenever that was.. Feb?), you could see a spark of life in the team, and I for one distinctly remember that game as an aha moment because, get this, the team was taking the man in the D zone, not just figure skating in the middle of the ice. I honestly have no faith that this was the coaching, because they immediately went back to the collapse once they were back home, but the players organically did what they had to break Green's self induced funk.

People may $&!# on you here, but dude, I'm sick to death of what this guy brings to the table too.

Baumer or Green's passive defensive systems are hard to watch.  They literally have the same system 5 on 5 as they do on the PK.  I don't get it.  Is it laziness or do they really think it works?  Back up, allow the opposition entry, shrink back into a box, and get ready to block all the shots. And then, hopefully, when the opportunity arises, you take back possession from a rebound or bad pass by them.  I swear at times I make the mistake of thinking they are on a PK when they are simply defending a foray by the other team.  I want to scream at the TV "you have one player for each of theirs on the ice!".  I know its not that simple, but jeez, they seem to be playing catch up too many times.

So many issues with this approach.

1. so much more pressure on the goaltender. 

2. By not keeping their feet moving, they are usually always second to the puck on every rebound.  And then again the opposition can pass it around as much as they want to to set up another good chance. 

3. When they do finally recover the puck back in their D zone,..... they are so used to following Baumer's book "The Passive Way", "How I created the all-in-one D system, and changed the game of hockey forever" ....and their heads are still in the "stand around and wait" mode, that they take too long to make a decision, move their feet, switch back to offensive minded hockey. They have to make a few dangerous passes in their own zone to get the feel of the puck again first, which often ends in another steal.  STOP THE STEALS!

Its too simple and extreme to say there are only two defensive systems. Specifically on the PK. But for arguments sake, we have all seen a more defensive tight box around the goal, and we've seen a more aggressive PK style.  Disadvantages and advantages to each one.  Being always in position to block a shot, and protect the goal, give them less openings, is not a bad idea.  Cons are that you have to rely on the other team making mistakes on their own. You put your destiny in their hands to a degree.  Sometimes they don't make a mistake like that for 2 minutes in our zone.

The more aggressive style of badgering every player that the puck is passed to, even though you skate out of position to do it, I find seems to be more successful over all.  Making them hurry up passes, leads the other team to making mistakes and turnovers. Even though theoretically it also may leave one of their players totally open for an unstoppable shot if they manage to evade the turnover. At the very least it creates more 50/50 scrambles for the puck. The only requirement for success for this method is just that you have to work harder than the other team.

4. IMO having a passive D system while having a puck moving Hughes and a young aggressive core who must switch from passive to aggressive on a dime, is much tougher than if they played with the same aggressive pro-active system in both ends for 60 minutes.  It helps having four lines that can execute it consistently though. Vegas is a good example of a team that has that luxury. Its one of the differences I noticed in our last playoff round against them.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Baumer or Green's passive defensive systems are hard to watch.  They literally have the same system 5 on 5 as they do on the PK.  I don't get it.  Is it laziness or do they really think it works?  Back up, allow the opposition entry, shrink back into a box, and get ready to block all the shots. And then, hopefully, when the opportunity arises, you take back possession from a rebound or bad pass by them.  I swear at times I make the mistake of thinking they are on a PK when they are simply defending a foray by the other team.  I want to scream at the TV "you have one player for each of theirs on the ice!".  I know its not that simple, but jeez, they seem to be playing catch up too many times.

So many issues with this approach.

1. so much more pressure on the goaltender. 

2. By not keeping their feet moving, they are usually always second to the puck on every rebound.  And then again the opposition can pass it around as much as they want to to set up another good chance. 

3. When they do finally recover the puck back in their D zone,..... they are so used to following Baumer's book "The Passive Way", "How I created the all-in-one D system, and changed the game of hockey forever" ....and their heads are still in the "stand around and wait" mode, that they take too long to make a decision, move their feet, switch back to offensive minded hockey. They have to make a few dangerous passes in their own zone to get the feel of the puck again first, which often ends in another steal.  STOP THE STEALS!

Its too simple and extreme to say there are only two defensive systems. Specifically on the PK. But for arguments sake, we have all seen a more defensive tight box around the goal, and we've seen a more aggressive PK style.  Disadvantages and advantages to each one.  Being always in position to block a shot, and protect the goal, give them less openings, is not a bad idea.  Cons are that you have to rely on the other team making mistakes on their own. You put your destiny in their hands to a degree.  Sometimes they don't make a mistake like that for 2 minutes in our zone.

The more aggressive style of badgering every player that the puck is passed to, even though you skate out of position to do it, I find seems to be more successful over all.  Making them hurry up passes, leads the other team to making mistakes and turnovers. Even though theoretically it also may leave one of their players totally open for an unstoppable shot if they manage to evade the turnover. At the very least it creates more 50/50 scrambles for the puck. The only requirement for success for this method is just that you have to work harder than the other team.

4. IMO having a passive D system while having a puck moving Hughes and a young aggressive core who must switch from passive to aggressive on a dime, is much tougher than if they played with the same aggressive pro-active system in both ends for 60 minutes.  It helps having four lines that can execute it consistently though. Vegas is a good example of a team that has that luxury. Its one of the differences I noticed in our last playoff round against them.

I have a theory about it which entails attrition. If you don't engage physically you are less likely to get hurt. Take out (most of) fighting, and defensive zone crashing, and the chances are you will enter the playoffs (if you make it with this crappy sytem), less injured. I'm 99% convinced that THIS is why the system's employed. It's a type of catch all idea into which anyone can be plugged, and well, that part of it has merit. With that said the problems with it are myriad, and in the end its nothing more than statistics played out on ice.

• Cheers 1