The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l April 29, 4:30 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Pretty lukewarm about keeping Green. I dont think he is the guy to take this team to the next level but looking at some of the roster he has to work with its hard to put all the blame on him.

Baumgartner and Brown getting re upped will bother me a lot more. Both are terrible. 

This team will not likely be a true contender under Benning. He bears most of the responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Power play should be up near the top of the league with the personnel left.  Elite offensive talent in Hughes.  Threat to score from anywhere on the ice Boeser.  Miller & Horvat.  Zero excuse not to be better.

As well, having a more than competent defense corp on paper should be translating into a far lower GAA. Both the assistants are clearly not good enough. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

McDavid says "hi". I'm assuming you've heard of Matthews. 

Neither of those teams have won anything though. 

The Canucks could have had either of those players if they were truly committed to a rebuild at the time.

Drafting is one part of team building. An important one for sure. But good teams dont rely on getting the 1st overall pick. They do a lot of other stuff too to plan for sustained success.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

28 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Don’t think Green’s been that bad, personally. 

If he were losing with a good lineup I’d agree, but you can’t play a collection of players like Hawryluk, Highmore, Virtanen, MacEwan, Boyd and Vesey over a stretch of games and expect to consistently win at the NHL level. And this is with Hughes and Petey on the last years of their ELCs. 

This all keeps coming back to Jim Benning. 

Agreed on the weakness of the bottom 6 however this whole ELC conversation is very foolish. Someone looked at the Chicago cup and suddenly proclaimed that this is the new norm when it couldn’t be further from the truth.  

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pretty lukewarm about keeping Green. I dont think he is the guy to take this team to the next level but looking at some of the roster he has to work with its hard to put all the blame on him.

Baumgartner and Brown getting re upped will bother me a lot more. Both are terrible. 

This team will not likely be a true contender under Benning. He bears most of the responsibility.

This is a solid take. Green with far more competent assistants and a GM who knows what kind of team he wants to have would most likely fare a lot better. 

• Like 2

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Neither of those teams have won anything though. 

The Canucks could have had either of those players if they were truly committed to a rebuild at the time.

Pittsburg and Chicago pre-lotto tanking then. Or even Winnipeg with Laine, flipping him for PLD. Huge luck involved there.

Luck plays a big part in many teams who are doing well, there's no way around that. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not an ageist. Him being 72 is irrelevent to me. He has tons of experience and knows how to surround himself with quality people. I would far prefer an experienced GM over another assistant GM getting his first gig.

Fair enough, I think that at some point people’s faculties do decline, I’ve seen it as people get closer to 80 but apparently you can run United States without a problem :) 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Pittsburg and Chicago pre-lotto tanking then. Or even Winnipeg with Laine, flipping him for PLD. Huge luck involved there.

Luck plays a big part in many teams who are doing well, there's no way around that. 

I didnt say luck doesnt play a part. I said teams dont rely solely on luck and a hope for the best mentality. They dont typically plan based on if we get the win it means we dont have to actually have a plan. Which is the point i was disagreeing with originally.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

thats the difference between a partial re-tool and a tear down. We really never have been on a full tank mode, we were just bad and had something similar in results. Thats why I have to laugh when I see people say Benning has been rebuilding for 7 years, that hasn't been the plan at all. 

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And what is your opinion on the two assistants? 

I'd be hard-pressed to argue that the special teams haven't been underwhelming, because they have. Not sure I'd agree with the premise that we should be near the top of the league though, there's a lot of talent out there. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the difference between a partial re-tool and a tear down. We really never have been on a full tank mode, we were just bad and had something similar in results. Thats why I have to laugh when I see people say Benning has been rebuilding for 7 years, that hasn't been the plan at all. 

He hasnt been rebuilding for 7 years. Thats my point. He should have rebuilt a lot sooner and they would probably already be a contender.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I can't see how he'd want them back. Unless he feels indebted to them for some strange reason.

we don't know the price and term, it could be a low 1 or 2 year offer that he walks from.