The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what grade (1 to 10) would you give Travis Green?

Rate this topic

grouse747

DSVII, I am really curious on this effect. have people studied it? I assume so.

and I agree it can be more than one game. apparently the one game betting works really well..

and I think you hit the nail on the head as to reasoning.. players are excited with more ice time and play better. the other team has scouted for EP team. and maybe lets down some.

I've seen the massive release of positive energy in other sports with changes... but then it's regression to the mean or something similar after 5 games.

I think he is a 5 out of 10. Average coach. Does some things ok struggles with others.

I think Baumgartner is a 0 and Brown is a 1. They definitely drag down Green but his systems and some of his decisions just dont seem to fit the roster he has. He is pretty stubborn too and gives vets far too much leeway to play with no urgency with no consequences.

Green gets a 6.  Not disastrous but clearly not enough to reward him with a new contract.

He cut his NHL teeth and did an ok job.  But there is no mojo in him.  And his time here is drawing to a close.

To take the next step we need a new coach who can command respect with his resume and show this team what they need to do to come together and take the next step to become a contending team.

Given that he has always maxed out what he can get out of the team that he has been given Id say a 7 out of 10. However, he also makes a lot of head scratching choices in deployments and often doesn't do enough in game management in settling the team down and having them ready at times.

I think he is a very smart coach, but also a very stubborn one at that and is very set in his ways. But you can tell the players like him and want to play for him. IMO I dont think he is a long term solution for this club but I am open for him to prove me wrong.

What did we rate Willie Desjardins ? Because statistically Green is slightly worse.I really disliked Willie , Travis is a likeable guy he had better playoff success than WD.  I think he employs a terrible defensive system. It’s a good thing we have great goaltending otherwise he would rate a lot worse.

5 out of 10

hope he does better with his next team.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Looking at the replies, so far, I’m guessing the average rating in this thread is just above a 5/10 for Green.

That’s actually higher than I expected, based on where I had CDC opinion pegged, from reading posts in various threads this season.

Personally, Green is 7/10 for me. I like him, and he’s pretty far down the list, when it comes to where I see problems/issues with this team. I’m actually more concerned about (some of) the players, management, and ownership.

However, when it comes to the coaching staff, there certainly seem to be some issues and room for improvement  (starting with any of the assistant coaches with surnames that start with “B”), but I think Green himself actually provides above-average head coaching.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think if you rate the players, you can give green a proper grade. green coaches, he doesn't play on the ice each game.  imo, green is not the problem with this team.  he gets cudo from me.

thats inccorrect   how many to many men penalties have we got this yr if your coaching cant figure out line changes  its not gonna be successful 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

What did we rate Willie Desjardins ? Because statistically Green is slightly worse.I really disliked Willie , Travis is a likeable guy he had better playoff success than WD.  I think he employs a terrible defensive system. It’s a good thing we have great goaltending otherwise he would rate a lot worse.

5 out of 10

hope he does better with his next team.

My three lasting impressions about Willie D.

1.) 1st liner JAYSON MEGNA

2.) 1-2-3-4. Always. In every situation.

3.) Showing Tryamkin a video of Chris Pronger and just telling him to play like that. (Guess it's that easy!)

Edited by DSVII

47 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looking at the replies, so far, I’m guessing the average rating in this thread is just above a 5/10 for Green.

That’s actually higher than I expected, based on where I had CDC opinion pegged, from reading posts in various threads this season.

Personally, Green is 7/10 for me. I like him, and he’s pretty far down the list, when it comes to where I see problems/issues with this team. I’m actually more concerned about (some of) the players, management, and ownership.

However, when it comes to the coaching staff, there certainly seem to be some issues and room for improvement  (starting with any of the assistant coaches with surnames that start with “B”), but I think Green himself actually provides above-average head coaching.

It drives me crazy when people point out the shortcomings of the assistant coaches but support Green.

Partner, Green picked his assistants.

One of the keys to assess a head coach  is the quality of the assistants he picked and the success of the entire group in producing a winning team.

Last year the Canucks were .565, so far this year .466. Let that set in.  Some of that is certainly on Benning.

But some of that is on Green as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow.

• Vintage 1

He seems like the kind of coach you might win one cup with, but wouldn't be a constant threat each year. It's also kind of hard to judge him since the roster still has serious deficiencies. 

He seems okay, but I wouldn't be upset to see him go. His assistants are petty bad, so seeing him go along with them might make it worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

My three lasting impressions about Willie D.

1.) 1st liner JAYSON MEGNA

2.) 1-2-3-4. Always. In every situation.

3.) Showing Tryamkin a video of Chris Pronger and just telling him to play like that. (Guess it's that easy!)

It wasn't Willie d it was Doug Lidster 

• Cheers 1