The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ilya Kovalchuk plans to return to the NHL next season

Could happen? Maybe Kovy realizes one of Russia's finest prospects and possibly big Try will be coming to VAN next season and he may want to join them? Maybe licking his chops thinking about playing on Petey's LW? Not to mention living in VAN. He's older, he likes nice things lol 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Give it up guy. You’ve burned enough bridges. Stay in the K. 

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Kovalchuk - Horvat - Podkolzin

Podz could benefit from having Kovy around?

While I know Kovy isn't at the level of his former NHL self when he commanded his 15 Year-$100M contract, I can see the benefit of having a seasoned Russian who has played in the league for many years to mentor Podz as he makes the transition over. The price tag would have to be similar to Hamonic's where he gets a veteran's contract but not much more on our cap-strapped team. 

I am torn between both perspectives as we are an organization (off the record) that have limited leeway and liberty to make these acquisitions and transactions that will not continue to leave a sour taste with the league. Other teams may be in a more forgiving situation and it would be a nice Top-9 add for them. Wayne Glensky brings up a good point about the repercussions of the burned bridges with the league and his "strategic" maneuverings over the past couple of years. 

Congrats Kovy on your Gagarin Cup win and best of luck in your future endeavours. 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Get him!  Get Jagr too!  Heard Plekanec is still playing with Jagr, so get him too! 

While we're at it, bring back Raymond and Ballard.

Slow down buddy, we have to leave some cap space for Messier. He won't come cheap.

• Haha 1

Someone will take a chance on him. He's a big body that can still play at an NHL level, obviously not like his former self but probably still close to 0.5 PPG. Will undoubtedly only want to sign with a contender, he wants a Stanley Cup to go with his Gagarin. Also needs 74 games for his Silver Stick.

Edited by 204CanucksFan

To be honest, scoring depth is something we need.  We need to have some legit options on the top three lines.  He's not the player he was but he has instincts that still allow for some production and a huge possibility this would be good for Pods and others as well.  I'll throw something random out there just because:

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Podkolzin Miller Kovalchuk

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Motte Highmore MacEwen