The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion/Proposal) - Thoughts on Dougie Hamilton

If you had to target one free agent, who would it be?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hamilton is a bit enigma with the whole "museum" stories and being very anti social, but hes the top pairing right hand D this has never had and paired with hughes wed have an elite D pair.

Sign Hamilton - 7 years/8m per year - a little less than what petro got 

Seattle takes Holtby

To BOS: Virtanen 

To VAN: Debrusk

To DET: Eriksson, Roussel, Woo, 1st pick 2021

To VAN: 5th round pick 2021

or whatever needs to be done to get under the cap

Re-sign Petterson - 3 yrs/7m

Re-sign Hughes - 3 yrs/7m

Sign Wennberg - 3 yrs/2.5m

Sign Hamonic - 2 yrs/1.5m NMC

Sign Reimer - 1 yr/1.5m

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Debrusk-Wennberg-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-Macewan

Highmore

Hughes-Hamilton

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey 

I'd target David Savard.  At 6'2", 233 lbs. he's got good size, mobility and the strength to be an effective modern stay at home defenseman.
With 36 lb. on Tanev and 28 on Hamonic, he's effective at clearing the crease to let his goalie see shots, and he also makes good decisions for when to block shots.
With how frequently Hughes turns the puck over, he needs a defense-oriented partner who can offset his weaknesses (lack of strength/ size/ defense) and Savard checks all those boxes IMO.  Signing Wennberg and Hamonic would also be good ideas but the big fish should be Savard.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Hamilton is intriguing. But I dunno if I'd trust him with Hughes. Feel like he and Schmidt would probably gel better. I will say, I like adding Wennberg to the third line. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in Florida though, having a solid year there. Goals are way up for him. Averaging 18 minutes a game, so he's getting more looks than what he'd get here.

Personally keep the 1st and 2nd this year. I would aim smaller if we want to shed cap. Getting rid of one of Beagle/Roussel(preferably Roussel) would be easier. If we were able to clear a bit of cap Savard, Larsson.

I am okay with holding our assets too. Could end up picking top 10 and have all our other picks earlier as well. 30-70 range we do well too.

Landeskog is the best UFA IMO but Hamilton is a close 2nd. Landeskog is like a better Miller which is no flack to Miller.

I have suggested Hamilton in past threads, I love the idea................

I have a big problem with those that won't fix things on a defense that is sub par

I just seems ridiculous to me, to continually defend a group that can't deliver

Take a look at cup winning defenses.........not many small players on them

Hamilton is anything but small

He is basically a perennial all-star and top dman

Do it! 

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

I am a pass based on the fact Hamitlon has moved around more than most players it not a stretch to think there is something not right about him as a team-mate. 

how so? Boston gave up on him too early, it wasn't like he needed to be moved out of there. The Flames- Carolina trade was a good one for both teams.

Not sure I see what you're seeing here. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have suggested Hamilton in past threads, I love the idea................

I have a big problem with those that won't fix things on a defense that is sub par

I just seems ridiculous to me, to continually defend a group that can't deliver

Take a look at cup winning defenses.........not many small players on them

Hamilton is anything but small

He is basically a perennial all-star and top dman

Do it! 

its the back 1/2 of his next deal that will scare teams off. But the 1st part could be very good.

I'd be happy to see it as long as the number doesn't start with a "7" but I don't know how we clear the cap, unless Loui has a heart to heart with Naslund about how to retire properly. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, billabong said:

Hamilton is a bit enigma with the whole "museum" stories and being very anti social, but hes the top pairing right hand D this has never had and paired with hughes wed have an elite D pair.

Seattle takes Holtby

Sign Reimer - 1 yr/1.5m

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Beagle-Macewan

Highmore

Hughes-Hamilton

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey 

OMG Never DO This????

Roussel 1 yr left? Erickson  1yr left ????  to fix some cap for 1 yr never....Some great young player in top 15 this year..

Giving up Woo Future #4 D man and 1st rounder top 12 this year could be in top 10...

Cannot give up 1st rounder this year ....

9 hours ago, billabong said:

Seattle takes Holtby

Sign Reimer - 1 yr/1.5m

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Beagle-Macewan

Highmore

Hughes-Hamilton

Schmidt-Myers

Juolevi-Hamonic

Rathbone, Bowey 

Honestly, I’m not sure if the Canucks will be able to afford any of those above UFA’s since we will have to re-up both Pettersson and Hughes.    

I’d be interested in circling back with Arizona with regards to OEL.  I’m not sure what the original proposal was last season but maybe Arizona bites this year given that their situation is more desperate and given that Eriksson will only have a year left on his contract.  

To Arizona:  Juolevi, 2022 1st, Eriksson, Virtanen

To Canucks:  OEL

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Highmore-Boyd-Lind

OEL-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Holtby

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

I am a pass based on the fact Hamitlon has moved around more than most players it not a stretch to think there is something not right about him as a team-mate. 

This summer we have 16.8 million left after signing Demko 5 million-- Happy with signing over 5 yrs

Pearson  3.3 X 3 ( little high 2.5 would of been the mark )

Petey 3 yrs X 7

Hughes 3 yrs 7

Leaving 2.8 million ?

So maybe Seattle take Holtby 4.3 ?? and add Juolevi  --- return 3rd rounder 

Trade Scmidt 6 million..? I like Scmidt..

We cant be unloading Erickson  and Roussel both 1 yr left...Giving up 1st rounder and prospect to make cap room?

If anything retain cap room but no trading 1st rounder for 1 yr cap fix,,,Great player in between 8th -- 14 th we will be picking high this year...

D signed 

Ssmidt  --   ( Hughes will sign soon))____

Myers  --   ------  ((  Hamonic - need to sign 1.9--2.3 )))

Bowey --- Rathbone             ( Tryamkin 6'7  Maybe 1.5 -1.8

5 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Honestly, I’m not sure if the Canucks will be able to afford any of those above UFA’s since we will have to re-up both Pettersson and Hughes.    

I’d be interested in circling back with Arizona with regards to OEL.  I’m not sure what the original proposal was last season but maybe Arizona bites this year given that their situation is more desperate and given that Eriksson will only have a year left on his contract.  

To Arizona:  Juolevi, 2022 1st, Eriksson, Virtanen

To Canucks:  OEL

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Highmore-Boyd-Lind

OEL-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Never never 1st round pick this year could be in the top 10??

Can't afford OEL ?  Scmidt  is that player and younger also 2 million less and younger...

Honestly, I'd just wait until the Canucks clear the dead contracts first before splurging on the UFAs.  Use the cap wisely to get needed players once the team is ready to contend.  Make hockey trades rather than sacrifice the future to get the cap under control. 

Yes that means a few more years of sucking.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Never never 1st round pick this year could be in the top 10??

Can't afford OEL ?  Scmidt  is that player and younger also 2 million less and younger...

Agreed with you about the first.  Sorry I should have clarified - I believe that was Vancouver’s offer last summer.  

I also wouldn’t move Schmidt since he’s a legit top pairing dman in this league.  I’d be very interested to see what our defense would look like with all of Hughes, Schmidt, and OEL.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Honestly, I'd just wait until the Canucks clear the dead contracts first before splurging on the UFAs.  Use the cap wisely to get needed players once the team is ready to contend.  Make hockey trades rather than sacrifice the future to get the cap under control. 

Yes that means a few more years of sucking.

Not a few more years.   Just next season.  All other bad contracts will be off the books by October 2022.

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Not a few more years.   Just next season.  All other bad contracts will be off the books by October 2022.

Yes.  But even then, the team isn't all that good and a year won't change that.  In my opinion, the team needs another top 6 W, revamp the bottom 6 (keep Motte and Big Mac), need a RHD/top 4 D and a backup G (think Holtby will get selected by SEA).

That's a tall order to try to fix in just a year.

Ideally, we add more size and grit and pushback.  Canucks are need to be able to punish on the boards and drop the gloves (and win).  Its the main reason why we signed Ferland but that didn't work out and we never got a replacement. 

Hopefully, we can fill some of the spots from within with our prospects to keep the salary cap down.

43 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yes.  But even then, the team isn't all that good and a year won't change that.  In my opinion, the team needs another top 6 W, revamp the bottom 6 (keep Motte and Big Mac), need a RHD/top 4 D and a backup G (think Holtby will get selected by SEA).

That's a tall order to try to fix in just a year.

Ideally, we add more size and grit and pushback.  Canucks are need to be able to punish on the boards and drop the gloves (and win).  Its the main reason why we signed Ferland but that didn't work out and we never got a replacement. 

Hopefully, we can fill some of the spots from within with our prospects to keep the salary cap down.

October 2022:  (approximation)

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-####-####

Motte-Lind-Highmore

Hughes-Hamonic

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers or Rathbone-Myers

1) Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Sutter, Edler, Virtanen, Spooner, Luongo, Baertschi [minus] extensions to Pettersson + Hughes = a significant amount of cap space.

2) Realistic chance of our 2021 1st round pick making the team in October 2022 in some capacity.

My guess is that the Canucks should have enough money to either

1) Bring in another top 4 caliber dman (in which case, we could explore the idea of moving one of our current dmen for help up front).

OR

2) Significantly bolster the top 9 forward depth with some 1-2 key signings.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd target David Savard.  At 6'2", 233 lbs. he's got good size, mobility and the strength to be an effective modern stay at home defenseman.
With 36 lb. on Tanev and 28 on Hamonic, he's effective at clearing the crease to let his goalie see shots, and he also makes good decisions for when to block shots.
With how frequently Hughes turns the puck over, he needs a defense-oriented partner who can offset his weaknesses (lack of strength/ size/ defense) and Savard checks all those boxes IMO.  Signing Wennberg and Hamonic would also be good ideas but the big fish should be Savard.

I chose RNH as I think he would be great here - but don't see it happening so have to agree Savard is exactly what we need!