The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion/Proposal) - Thoughts on Dougie Hamilton

If you had to target one free agent, who would it be?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd target David Savard.  At 6'2", 233 lbs. he's got good size, mobility and the strength to be an effective modern stay at home defenseman.
With 36 lb. on Tanev and 28 on Hamonic, he's effective at clearing the crease to let his goalie see shots, and he also makes good decisions for when to block shots.
With how frequently Hughes turns the puck over, he needs a defense-oriented partner who can offset his weaknesses (lack of strength/ size/ defense) and Savard checks all those boxes IMO.  Signing Wennberg and Hamonic would also be good ideas but the big fish should be Savard.

What do you think the AAV and term of Savard's UFA contract will be?

9 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Honestly, I’m not sure if the Canucks will be able to afford any of those above UFA’s since we will have to re-up both Pettersson and Hughes.    

I’d be interested in circling back with Arizona with regards to OEL.  I’m not sure what the original proposal was last season but maybe Arizona bites this year given that their situation is more desperate and given that Eriksson will only have a year left on his contract.  

To Arizona:  Juolevi, 2022 1st, Eriksson, Virtanen

To Canucks:  OEL

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Miller-Podkolzin

Highmore-Boyd-Lind

OEL-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Holtby

OEL was willing to waive to come to VAN last off season because he thought we were on the cusp of being  contender. No way he waives for VAN now.

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think (haven't done the math for the whole team btw) if we could get him for $5 to $5.5 tops for 3 years then that would be good.  Highly doubt anyone would fork up much more than that but could be wrong, but for a guy whose value is primarily in shot blocking and defense, I'd figure that the injuries would start taking a toll since he's already 30 so I wouldn't want to sign him for too long.  Vancouver could surely use that safety blanket of a partner for Hughes.  

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Probably similar to what Tanev got.  But Savard is a much bigger player and more durable so I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the same deal Tanev got.

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I think (haven't done the math for the whole team btw) if we could get him for $5 to $5.5 tops for 3 years then that would be good.  Highly doubt anyone would fork up much more than that but could be wrong, but for a guy whose value is primarily in shot blocking and defense, I'd figure that the injuries would start taking a toll since he's already 30 so I wouldn't want to sign him for too long.  Vancouver could surely use that safety blanket of a partner for Hughes.  

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably similar to what Tanev got.  But Savard is a much bigger player and more durable so I wouldn't be opposed to giving him the same deal Tanev got.

I really like Savard as a player and think he would fit in our roster right now, but I don't see that we can afford 4.5 - 5.5m on one Dman (and certainly not 8-9m for Hamilton) when we have a few spots to fill and not much cap space to play with. Also factoring in that we are not going to be contending for the next year or so, then it seems a waste to spend that cap on a guy at Savard's age. Schmidt, Hamonic and Myers are probably at their peak right now at age 29/30/31, and I feel we really need to be focusing on finding guys that can contribute now but will be peaking in 2-3 years from now. Edler is not the answer. I like the idea of trading for Zadorov and resigning Tryamkin, both 26, who fit our age group much better and could become real impact players for us when we really need it. Presumably Zadorov would need to be paid $3.2m (unless Chicago don't qualify him and he becomes a UFA) and Tryamkin around $2m.

Top 6 next season:

Zadorov Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Tryamkin Myers

By 2024 Hamonic and Myers contracts end, and Schmidt has one year left, replaced in the top 6 by Rathbone, Woo, etc.

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I really like Savard as a player and think he would fit in our roster right now, but I don't see that we can afford 4.5 - 5.5m on one Dman (and certainly not 8-9m for Hamilton) when we have a few spots to fill and not much cap space to play with. 

I like the idea of trading for Zadorov who fit our age group much better and could become real impact players for us when we really need it. Presumably Zadorov would need to be paid $3.2m (unless Chicago don't qualify him and he becomes a UFA).

Agreed that the team may not have the money for Savard, but idk if a project like Zadorov is the best option either as most Hawks writers and articles about him talk about his lacking consistency and occasionally getting caught up ice, and that's not what you really want from a shutdown D-man.  After bringing back Hamonic (which should be the priority IMO), the team still needs D-men who are steady and don't mind hanging back as the likes of Hughes, Myers and Schmidt are all highly turnover prone, so we can't have their partner caught up ice as well.  If Zadorov can tighten things up then he would be a good option, but I'd also be open to giving Juolevi an expanded role instead of leaving him off the lineup outright. 

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed that the team may not have the money for Savard, but idk if a project like Zadorov is the best option either as most Hawks writers and articles about him talk about his lacking consistency and occasionally getting caught up ice, and that's not what you really want from a shutdown D-man.  After bringing back Hamonic (which should be the priority IMO), the team still needs D-men who are steady and don't mind hanging back as the likes of Hughes, Myers and Schmidt are all highly turnover prone, so we can't have their partner caught up ice as well.  If Zadorov can tighten things up then he would be a good option, but I'd also be open to giving Juolevi an expanded role instead of leaving him off the lineup outright. 

Agree that Hamonic is the priority to bring back first. Leaves us with:

Hughes Hamonic

XXXX  Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone XXXX)

Edler could be resigned to pair with Schmidt for about $2m. Probably what will happen until Rathbone breaks into our top 6. But if we don't bring back Edler then I think Zadorov is a legit top 4 Dman, not a project. Plays 19 mins. Is only -2 on a relatively poor Hawks team. Brings grit and hits like a truck. Age 26. Can play RD.

Not sure what to do for depth RD. Maybe Chatfield? Or there are other cheap UFA options, which we should absolutely consider including Schenn, Ceci, Hakanpaa.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Hughes Hamonic

XXXX  Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone XXXX)

Edler could be resigned to pair with Schmidt for about $2m. Probably what will happen until Rathbone breaks into our top 6. But if we don't bring back Edler then I think Zadorov is a legit top 4 Dman, not a project. Plays 19 mins. Is only -2 on a relatively poor Hawks team. Brings grit and hits like a truck. Age 26. Can play RD.

Not sure what to do for depth RD. Maybe Chatfield? Or there are other cheap UFA options, which we should absolutely consider including Schenn, Ceci, Hakanpaa.

That's fair.  I get that he's playing on their top pair at the moment so that should bode well for his future as a big-minute guy, and as long as he's not too expensive then sign me up.  Chatfield would be my preferred 7th D, since while the offensive upside may not be there he's reliable and can also play on both sides of the ice (think he was a LD last time he was in), and 6'1", 190 lbs. isn't too small so I'd be fine with him as a depth fill-in.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, King Heffy said:

Hamilton is garbage in his own zone.  Hard no.  Barrie isn't even good enough to be in the AHL with how much of a defensive liability he is.  Fortunately we don't have the space to bring in either of those pylons.

Lol.   Maybe he wasn't so good but that isn't the player anymore (Hamilton).  Last year he was leading the league in plus minus when he went down, and a frontrunnner for the Norris.   Not scoring as much this year, but he's racking up the points..has size too.   And plays the R side ... we could create the cap space...massive upgrade over Edler. 

My thoughts on Hamilton are IF he's available, you go for it.   Blue chip d's like him play well until their mid 30's.   He'd make an excellent long term Edler replacement on the R side, has good size and CAR is goes from good to excellent when he's in the lineup.   I'd sign Hamilton and trade QHs.   The haul QHs would bring in would help put this team over the top.    Unlikely scenario.   But it could work. 

On 5/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, BigTramFan said:

Hughes Hamonic

XXXX  Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone XXXX)

I'd throw Bogosian in the mix too