The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I don't think I can watch another 82 games of that defensive system. Its driving me bat sh!t crazy.

Without some coaching changes I might see more time outside next year.

I am so frustrated with the display. I am not upset by the score lines or effort. I understand this is going to be a tough finish to the year, but I dont want to see the exact same product rolled out next year, I just cant face that. Its time for a change in systems, I am more than happy to see Benning continue on with his construction of the team but I want better defensive structure that isn't so passive. By the way how do you play a passive defensive system and still continually give up odd man rushes ? The system doesn't work or something is broken.

Im undecided about Green but please for the love of god can we move on from Brown and Baumgartner. Enough is enough!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We don't really need a top 6 C compared to a RW or RD. We have Miller/Horvat/Petey. Johnson is like another Petey too, he'll probably start at wing.

Could use a strong defensive center.  Or strong defensive wingers.  Take some of the pressure off the D (where we also could use some strong defensive D men) which in turn, takes the some pressure off of Demko.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Matthew Beniers. 

Petey

Horvat

Beniers

We are set down the middle for the next decade. 

We can’t draft that high for a third line center.

Need a defenseman if we can’t get top 6 talent.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We don't really need a top 6 C compared to a RW or RD. We have Miller/Horvat/Petey. Johnson is like another Petey too, he'll probably start at wing.

Do you ever have enough centers?

8 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I don't think I can watch another 82 games of that defensive system. Its driving me bat sh!t crazy.

Without some coaching changes I might see more time outside next year.

I am so frustrated with the display. I am not upset by the score lines or effort. I understand this is going to be a tough finish to the year, but I dont want to see the exact same product rolled out next year, I just cant face that. Its time for a change in systems, I am more than happy to see Benning continue on with his construction of the team but I want better defensive structure that isn't so passive. By the way how do you play a passive defensive system and still continually give up odd man rushes ? The system doesn't work or something is broken.

Im undecided about Green but please for the love of god can we move on from Brown and Baumgartner. Enough is enough!!!

How about the powerplay drop pass that was so predicted by TO that the Canuck players either coughed up the puck or had to scramble to improvise.  Bush league coaching.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

A for effort but, plain and simple, we are a bad team. We don't have the talent or the depth to keep pace with the best teams in the league. This is not because of the outbreak, although obviously the fatigue isn't helping. It was the case at the start of the year too. We don't have the talent or chemistry to generate high quality offence

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Could use a strong defensive center.  Or strong defensive wingers.  Take some of the pressure off the D (where we also could use some strong defensive D men) which in turn, takes the some pressure off of Demko.

Both Guenther and Lysell are supposedly not weak in their own zone. Lysell considered a team guy too.

In regards to Lysell defensively.

Defensively he works hard, and is great at picking off passes, disrupting lanes, and turning defense into offense. While no stalwart I would argue that he is at very worst “average” defensively for a winger his age. He is not physical in the slightest, which may draw some into the conclusion he does not commit enough in his own end… but when you key in on him he hustles hard inside his half of ice, and can cover for his center when they get caught up ice. With increased size and strength he could be a positive in his own zone even in the NHL. He has a broad frame for his height, and should be able to add weight going forward without losing any dynamism.

He’s also effective defensively, as his speed allows him to come back quickly and help on the backcheck. He has a quick stick to break plays up and can make a quick stick lift to easily steal the puck. He applies great pressure when on the defensive side providing great coverage and giving little time for the opponent to make a play. 

In regards to Guenther defensively.

Guenther is also strong in the defensive end. He applies good backpressure in supporting the defence against the rush. He is also willing to come down low and support the defence against the cycle game when necessary. However, as a winger, he is more often playing high in the zone. He does a good job of covering the point as well as keeping himself open for a breakout pass when his teammates turn the puck over. Guenther shows a willingness to get in passing and shooting lanes. If there is a critique, it’s that he can sometimes fly the zone a little early looking for a long breakaway pass. However, this might be something that the Oil Kings coaches are asking him to do since he is so dangerous if he does get a breakaway.

Guenther is defensively aware and responsible, and his urgency in his own end was noticeable in his first full WHL season. Consistent improvement in his own end will allow Guenther to help out his team in a larger, more well-rounded capacity, like becoming an effective penalty killer. Guenther proved he could drive offense as one of the youngest players in the league on a shallow Oil Kings offense and his ability to produce will only increase as he gets stronger.

• Cheers 1

Just now, hockeyville88 said:

A for effort but, plain and simple, we are a bad team. We don't have the talent or the depth to keep pace with the best teams in the league. This is not because of the outbreak, although obviously the fatigue isn't helping. It was the case at the start of the year too. We don't have the talent or chemistry to generate high quality offence

Everything hasn’t gone our way this year. Covid, Petey, rocky start, schedule. We don’t have the depth to combat all that

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Do you ever have enough centers?

Nope but if we're picking top 10 there are a couple RWs and a RD that would be better fits IMO. I'd even draft one of the LD before a C.

A 3rd C can be had elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nope but if we're picking top 10 there are a couple RWs and a RD that would be better fits IMO. I'd even draft one of the LD before a C.

A 3rd C can be had elsewhere.

They should go BPA.  We still have enough weaknesses that position should not be a concern.