The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Everything hasn’t gone our way this year. Covid, Petey, rocky start, schedule. We don’t have the depth to combat all that

Ffs, shouldn’t we have depth after 7 years of JB and only two more to go before we compete for a cup, lol.

• Cheers 2

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Not a wasted season at all. The talented well coached teams are all doing just fine and meeting expectations 

its only losing teams that make excuses 

losers always rationalize losses 

winners win 

There’s nothing to rationalize here. The team has sucked this year, the team had a brutal illness, the team has the worst schedule of the entire league. The team lacks depth. The team had issues to start the season. The team has an average coach and worse assistants. The team has a lot of bright young players. Probably the teams brightest has been injured most of the season.

These are all facts. Stop pretending that this all Greens fault. Forget the tunnel vision for a second and try to see the whole picture here.

• Cheers 4

People are acting like this club was great the year before. They got hot in the playoffs. Otherwise they haven't been good for a few years.  They have lost several key players from last year and have never really got things back on track. 

We are in the middle of a rebuild. Our best player is out for the rest of the season. They are playing too many games in too short of a time period. Team chemistry has never gelled. Plus a bunch of these guys aren't sure if they will even be here next year. 

This is what teams go through that are completely revamping their entire core. Things will not be a lot better next year. Get used to it. 

When they chose to not blow the team up 7 years ago this was set into motion. I lot of us said that this would become a ten year rebuild doing it the way they have.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Ffs, shouldn’t we have depth after 7 years of JB and only two more to go before we compete for a cup, lol.

Ahhh should have actually started rebuilding 7 years ago and we would probably be a better team right now. That’s on more then just JB though. 

I don’t read into the 2 year think as much as others. JB isn’t the greatest communicator lol

5 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Listen I am a fan of AG but let's be real here. He was never going to be the 3C here and he's not better than Petey or Horvat. I hope he does well with the Hawks but it doesn't change he wasn't going to be part of the future here. Both players are long shots to stick in the league.

I said from the start the team trying to shoehorn him into the 3c spot was a massive mistake and short sighted thinking. It doesnt maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It does the opposite. His future should have been as a winger.

Having said that, you lose EP and based on the above why not try the guy on the wing with Miller and Boeser? At best you get some offense out of him, at worst he does nothing there and you can still trade him for an energy 4th liner who doesnt move the needke at all in any zone.

The Hawks are using him on the wing. On a 3rd line with skilled linemates. And he is producing there. 

Finding the right role and the right linemates makes a huge difference.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We can’t draft that high for a third line center.

Need a defenseman if we can’t get top 6 talent.

Disagree. Three top centers are essential to being a contender. Teams with only two good lines are road-kill in the high paced game of today. 

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Ahhh should have actually started rebuilding 7 years ago and we would probably be a better team right now. That’s on more then just JB though. 

I don’t read into the 2 year think as much as others. JB isn’t the greatest communicator lol

Aw...power point.....PK

hahaha

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s just a tough year. Good perspective. Funny  when the team was in Covid protocol a lot of fans were saying they would take things easy on the team as they finished out the year. I’ve seen none of that. Classic lol

Well Duh. There's a reason our fanbase is the laughing stock of the league. We have a very large group of fairweather fans who make hockey forums a landmine of shi* on most nights.

Sadly when times are good they hop on and make the test of us look bad. Take the riots for example..

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

AG was tried on the wing and in the top six. I just think with who we have coming up AG would have ended up stuck behind even more young kids. I said it last year that AG is a top six or bust. Just don't see him becoming one especially on a playoff team. 3 or 4 good games with the Hawks doesn't change my mind.

He never had any true extended look in the top 6.

Contending teams have a bottom 6 that can chip in offensively too. 

14 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Hoglander, Lind, Dadjovich, Podkolzin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, G Breezy, are coming and should not be under estimated.

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I said from the start the team trying to shoehorn him into the 3c spot was a massive mistake and short sighted thinking. It doesnt maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It does the opposite. His future should have been as a winger.

Having said that, you lose EP and based on the above why not try the guy on the wing with Miller and Boeser? At best you get some offense out of him, at worst he does nothing there and you can still trade him for an energy 4th liner who doesnt move the needke at all in any zone.

The Hawks are using him on the wing. On a 3rd line with skilled linemates. And he is producing there. 

Finding the right role and the right linemates makes a huge difference.

We have Podkolzin and Lind who were much higher picks that are projected to play RW in the next year along with Boeser.  Podkolzin looks like a stud and Lind can be a very effective 200' player on the 3rd line.  So there wasn't any room for Gaudette as a right winger in my opinion.  Trading Gaudette was the right thing to do.  What we got back can definitely be debated.  But it seems Benning had been shopping him for awhile with no bites so who knows what teams were offering.

Gaudette could very well put up 40 points in Chicago.  But I'd still take Podkolzin and Lind over him.  Our need is a 3C and Gaudette was never going to be that guy.

• Cheers 3

Just now, hammertime said:

Hoglander, Lind, Dadjovich, Podkolzin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, G Breezy, are coming and should not be under estimated.

Hogs, Lind and Juolevi are already here. You can’t seriously claim that the Canucks are a team with depth. We have folks playing about the line they should already.

They have to be coached to score more garbage goals. Twice tonight I seen the forward leave the back door post to go engage in the scrum and then they weren't there when the pass came back door. Both times it was a far side gimme tap in like Hogs scored the other day(remember when he didn't have his stick on the ice earlier and he missed that prime opportunity?)
Tonight I saw Mac and I think Bo leave the back door post and both times the puck slid right through with no one home for the easy tap in. 

We need more Johnny on the spot goals than highlight reel wristers sometimes. 

Keep your stick on the ice. He'll get it to you. 

• Cheers 4

29 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Listen I am a fan of AG but let's be real here. He was never going to be the 3C here and he's not better than Petey or Horvat. I hope he does well with the Hawks but it doesn't change he wasn't going to be part of the future here. Both players are long shots to stick in the league.

He's apparently on the wing in Chicago so....

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have Podkolzin and Lind who were much higher picks that are projected to play RW in the next year along with Boeser.  Podkolzin looks like a stud and Lind can be a very effective 200' player on the 3rd line.  So there wasn't any room for Gaudette as a right winger in my opinion.  Trading Gaudette was the right thing to do.  What we got back can definitely be debated.  But it seems Benning had been shopping him for awhile with no bites so who knows what teams were offering.

Gaudette could very well put up 40 points in Chicago.  But I'd still take Podkolzin and Lind over him.  Our need is a 3C and Gaudette was never going to be that guy.

Then you pump his value and trade him for a 3c, not a 4th line lw

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Vancan2021 said:

What he said 1000%^^^^^. 

The "fans" and armchair GM's that know nil about the game got to excited because we won the first 2 against TO. 

We did not win those peps, the goalies wearing blue and white gave em to us. 

Seriously just be happy no one in the organization, and families are not in the ICU, or worse. 

We will get a playoff spot next year with a rested, healthy, rejuvenated group. 

Till then chill out buds! 

So this team as presently constructed will secure a playoff spot next year, according to you. How do you figure that?

I mean, there are some players on the team that are more than capable of doing what it takes to get there, but I haven’t seen a cohesive and consistent effort from this team in some time. I do see consistency from the likes of the captain and a few others but outside of that, it’s far too random to have any faith in. 

Those players who bring a consistent level of play deserve more from the ownership, management and coaching staff. They haven’t received it. They should be. And management and ownership should have gone to bat for the team when the vile league demanded that they get back to work shortly after recovering from a global virus rather than Miller having air his rightful gripe via an interview. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2