The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Something else I thought was interesting as I was reading different ideas on who we protect in the entry draft. Off the top of my head I kind of liked this guy’s picks.

Petey, Brock, Bo,JT, Motte, Pearson & Lind.

Schmidt, Myers & Juolevi.

Depending on what we see from Gadj  I might drop Motte or Myers and add him. I love Motte and the would hate to lose him  but keeping in mind his size and the way he plays and his injuries I might chance it if Gadj doesn’t look out of place. Size and toughness is something we are desperate for. Alternatively we could drop Myers and hope Seattle is scared off by his contract. Kind of a gamble either way.

I forgot that Myers has an NTC not NMC. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Something else I thought was interesting as I was reading different ideas on who we protect in the entry draft. Off the top of my head I kind of liked this guy’s picks.

Petey, Brock, Bo,JT, Motte, Pearson & Lind.

Schmidt, Myers & Juolevi.

Depending on what we see from Gadj  I might drop Motte or Myers and add him. I love Motte and the would hate to lose him  but keeping in mind his size and the way he plays and his injuries I might chance it if Gadj doesn’t look out of place. Size and toughness is something we are desperate for. Alternatively we could drop Myers and hope Seattle is scared off by his contract. Kind of a gamble either way.

You know what. Motte has been on my must protect list all year. But I got thinking about the injuries as well and now he has a concussion? It might be best to expose him based on that. Maybe Seattle see that and doesn’t want to risk taking him. 

I think we really have to assess Gadj and Lind at this point. I think once Gadj is available they should be played every game till the end to try and get a read on how they can fit into the NHL

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I think it was more of a see ya later then a fumbled ball this time. There’s be fumbled balls for sure but I don’t consider this as one 

Well as long as the backup plan isn’t to go bargain bin shopping in the offseason.

We need a major overhaul of the D and Tryamkin might have really helped with that.

I guess Im just tired of seeing prospects thrown away for nothing. That’s one less possible piece for the puzzle next season that we’re gonna have to acquire through free agency or trade.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well as long as the backup plan isn’t to go bargain bin shopping in the offseason.

We need a major overhaul of the D and Tryamkin might have really helped with that.

I guess Im just tired of seeing prospects thrown away for nothing. That’s one less possible piece for the puzzle next season that we’re gonna have to acquire through free agency or trade.

We need a defensive coach in my opinion. I actually like our D. Joulevi should be ready next year. Excited to see what Rathbone can bring. Schmidt thrived in a different system. Myers has had a good year for all the flack he gets. If Eddie want more then 2 million I say cut ties. A right handy steady defencemen would be a nice add.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, hindsight has not been kind to most of his signings of support type players for the (main) reasons of mentoring; hopefully, Pearson will be the exception of someone who can also contribute on the ice as well. 

The Laffs/Dubas seems to had gone with a more effective approach by going after talented former first line forwards like: Thornton & Spezza to short term low value contracts (700k each) for mentoring/sheltering reasons that are also has the talent to still be effective on the ice.

Imo, JB & Weisbrods' cap mismanagements has certainly hurt the team - with hindsight - but the game day deployment & strategies are on the coaches and (of course) the execution are on the players.    The team has two options to improve: more roster tinkering or a strategy change, which one is cheaper ?  Preferably, I would like to see this roster with a different staff before any trades (although, at this point it is looking like the PR department is already to trade JV and is just waiting for the offseason), Aquaman hires a team president that can work/'complement JBs' drafting in filling the roster and ALL THE FA WALKS.  

oh for sure we can all be hindsight experts :lol:

for me its more about skill set. Jim did a great job drafting even with Jake being a "miss" there's still a lot to be happy about. 

Just have real doubts he's the guy for the next phase where pro roster additions are so key. When you look at what Tampa has done e.g., you just have to marvel at their pro talent management. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO the biggest issue with the Canucks is on the d-side game. The centre’s have given the club superior FO % and thusly puck possession. Opposing teams generate significant ozone TOI. It was a bit better than last year but still weak. IMO the talent is there. It forces me to question the coaching. The positives this year have been Hoglander  and Demko. 

Play the season out. Play the prospects. Draft well on 1&2 and come back in the fall. Resign Sutter. Move on from Rous and Beagle. The waiver wire pickups and Haymore will have to compete for a spot in the fall. 

I think you're correct. I suspect Sutter might be our only 3C option, assuming he's willing to do something very team friendly. We'll see. 

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Miller.

Time to roll 3 scoring lines.

UFA/Trade Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Miller Lind/Gadjovich 

Setting the lines up the same way next season will equal the same results.

thats interesting, its really more like a 1st line and 2 second lines. I wonder about moving Pearson away from Bo, if Green would that. 

Hoglander might fit better with Miller? dunno.

there might be some good options for LW tho: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/points/all/leftwing/ufa

Coleman maybe?

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Miller.

Time to roll 3 scoring lines.

UFA/Trade Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Miller Lind/Gadjovich 

Setting the lines up the same way next season will equal the same results.

This is what I've been envisioning since Pettersson went out and Miller started having a lot of success in the middle. I'd love to see a Podkolzin Miller Lind line to start the season

Gadjovich/UFA/Trade Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Podkolzin Miller Lind

Motte Sutter Bailey/Hawrlyuk/Highmore/MacEwen or whoever wins the 4th line role in camp.

I was excited for Tryamkin but I guess he never really wanted to be here anyway.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I could be reading into it, but when they show Baumer talking to players on the bench they seem annoyed. 

It might be homer goggles, but I can't understand why the defence isn't better, it seems like the talent should be there. 

On paper our defense is much better than what the actual on ice results suggest.

The passive type defense system we play is just a time bomb waiting to happen, especially when the forwards by and large seem to blow their coverage a lot especially when the puck goes down low. Teams are starting to realize that if they can get one of our defense to go into a corner, there will more often than not someone wide open because the forwards start cheating up toward our blue line for a breakout.

The entire symmetry of the offensive style Green wants to play and the defensive style is completely off. It relies on stretch passes our d cant seem to consistently make and our forwards cant consistently be in the right position to take.

Our defensive problems are not just with the defense.

And offensively not breaking out with a crisp first pass to a player at speed is why they resort so often to dump and give away zone entry.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1

Despite what people say, that comes down to coaching.

Having a roster full of players who cant seemto handle the basics is a big problem too. 

But the coaches are trying to fit the players to their system rather than building the system around the strengths of the players. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Despite what people say, that comes down to coaching.

Having a roster full of players who cant seemto handle the basics is a big problem too. 

But the coaches are trying to fit the players to their system rather than building the system around the strengths of the players. 

Pretty much. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I feel the same way. Tryamkin would have been a good fit, and we needed to offer better than lowball. Our D is not that good... not contending quality or even close. By the time the year is over, we've thrown away Guadette, Tryamkin, with Jake on deck. Highmore is probably a several dozen games away from waivers. We threw away Madden for Tofolli only to not resign him. Baertschi experiment was a waste of time. And these waiver pickups need to all go on waivers again. The makeup of this team is becoming a big mess.