The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

You know what. Motte has been on my must protect list all year. But I got thinking about the injuries as well and now he has a concussion? It might be best to expose him based on that. Maybe Seattle see that and doesn’t want to risk taking him. 

I think we really have to assess Gadj and Lind at this point. I think once Gadj is available they should be played every game till the end to try and get a read on how they can fit into the NHL

Keep the obvious 4 in petey-brock-JT-bowie 

Agreed keep motte 

If lind and gadjovich show anything, anything at all, protect 

Seattle aint taking pearson, so leave him exposed if you haven’t actually been forced contractually to protect him 

Schmidt and Juolevi

Leave Myers exposed 

Aquire dman worth using 3rd spot on

Ans obviously keep thatcher demko 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

do you know what was offered?

Traded away, not threw.

Looking pretty bad now.

Would have been better to trade him as part of a bigger deal to acquire someone like Jenner from Columbus. Would be much more useful to us and cost controlled.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looking pretty bad now.

Would have been better to trade him as part of a bigger deal to acquire someone like Jenner from Columbus. Would be much more useful to us and cost controlled.

Hindsight is often perfect.

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I’m about in the same boat. Everyone knows Toffoli was a mistake. Even the biggest JB supporters can’t get around that. My saving grace there was no buyouts cause we would be only worse off this off-season had he not signed JV and bought someone out. I do feel for that situation though, if covid shutdown didn’t happen 2 weeks later after that trade it never happens and we know about the flat cap. 

I like this core and unlike 80% of the wannabes I’m patient enough for them to grow. But I’m worried what we do with the rest of the cap space. 

There’s no pitchforks for me on anyone here this year. It’s just a crap year with so many things that have pushed us to make tough decisions.

I’m neutral on JB now. He can either fix this or it could really unravel here. This off-season is a big test for him.

Sorry to disagree, but the entire bottom 6 including the 3 recent P/Ups, Edler and Lazy Jake (might go to jail soon) all need to go along with all coaches-  excluding our goalie coach.

Until this happens, this team will continue the endless, slow, painful, never ending rebuild saga to no-where.  JB has $40M coming off the books this year and next and that will be his last chance to finally get some descent supporting players to support our few star players.  After what he did last season letting Tanev, Leivo, Marky and Stecher go and getting rid of Benn recently, tells me he is on the path.  Resigning Pearson though sent some doubts in my mind but he was likely the only player out of that bunch "somewhat" worth keeping.  Anything short of purging those last old/deadwood mediocre players will indicate resignation on his part.

I'll be holding my breath to see what he does in the off seaon.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Looking pretty bad now.

It took a 1st and 4th to get Foligno a guy who's 6 years older and a shade smaller. 

I seriously doubt we'd have enough to offer Columbus for Boone Jenner. 

Tryamkin.  All i'm going to say is told you so.   Go ahead JB haters scratch away.   He's not an NHL player, won't ever play in the NHL.   Enjoy "the shift" he had on video "destroying" Getzlaf.  Get some laughs because i'm sure Getzlaf is.  Because he's been hit harder. 

The "next Chara " is now the next ....  not even Hall Gill.  Good grief.   It wasn't in the cards.   Hamonic "scared him off".  Wow.   No "twin towers ".    No big buddy to hold Podz hand.   Can't make the league KHL cap max of 1.5   Didn't want to see if he could make more in the NHL when half the 3rd paring guys do.   Guess he's not interested in money.  Or he's just scared.   Either way good riddance. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

With cap space coming, now is agood time to make a change at GM and coach. Let the next group.not be handcuffed by more Benning moves. 

But Benning wants two more years so he can wait for his own dead weight contracts to expire. 

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Sorry to disagree, but the entire bottom 6 including the 3 recent P/Ups, Edler and Lazy Jake (might go to jail soon) all need to go along with all coaches-  excluding our goalie coach.

Until this happens, this team will continue the endless, slow, painful, never ending rebuild saga to no-where.  JB has $40M coming off the books this year and next and that will be his last chance to finally get some descent supporting players to support our few star players.  After what he did last season letting Tanev, Leivo, Marky and Stecher go and getting rid of Benn recently, tells me he is on the path.  Resigning Pearson though sent some doubts in my mind but he was likely the only player out of that bunch "somewhat" worth keeping.  Anything short of purging those last old/deadwood mediocre players will indicate resignation on his part.

I'll be holding my breath to see what he does in the off seaon.

Lol I think you’re actually agreeing with me. I mentioned Toffoli the only big mistake recently. Letting those other guys collect their cheques somewhere else was a no brainer.

I don’t know if it as easy as dumping the entire bottom six and all the coaches. They all have to be replaced and that’s a lot of moving parts. We need to subtract and add in certain areas and yeah new coaches wouldn’t hurt my feelings. It’s a messed up year any way you slice it. I’d say this is probably JB’s biggest off-season here, it’s gotta be done the right way.

I see a lot of moves trending towards managing the cap here for years to come. Started when we let everyone walk in the off-season. The only mixed signal in that regard recently has been Pearson but he’s a solid middle six player imo 

• Like 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Tryamkin.  All i'm going to say is told you so.   Go ahead JB haters scratch away.   He's not an NHL player, won't ever play in the NHL.   Enjoy "the shift" he had on video "destroying" Getzlaf.  Get some laughs because i'm sure Getzlaf is.  Because he's been hit harder. 

The "next Chara " is now the next ....  not even Hall Gill.  Good grief.   It wasn't in the cards.   Hamonic "scared him off".  Wow.   No "twin towers ".    No big buddy to hold Podz hand.   Can't make the league KHL cap max of 1.5   Didn't want to see if he could make more in the NHL when half the 3rd paring guys do.   Guess he's not interested in money.  Or he's just scared.   Either way good riddance. 

I don’t know if I’m where you are exactly, but I’ve never cared an iota whether we see this guy again. He’s not a needle mover so who cares? Good luck in the future, N.T. Or not. Whatever. 

3 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

But Benning wants two more years so he can wait for his own dead weight contracts to expire. 

To sign even more bad contracts for 3 or 4 years? No thanks.

Benning was left a dumpster fire by Gillis. Lets give someone new a clean slate and significant cap space to work with.

Benning and Weisbrod need to go.

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It took a 1st and 4th to get Foligno a guy who's 6 years older and a shade smaller. 

I seriously doubt we'd have enough to offer Columbus for Boone Jenner. 

Who knows until you try?

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Benning was left a dumpster fire by Gillis. Lets give someone new a clean slate and significant cap space to work with.

I wouldn’t piss on Jim Benning to save him from a fire. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gillis left the remnants of a near championship team. He blew at scouting and drafting. Benning excels at drafting and scouting and is extremely questionable as a team builder. Benning has had seven years to get this team into some semblance of contention or at the very least consistency.

Seven years is more than enough time. He should be replaced this summer. As should the coaching staff. Clean slate. Nothing personal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure why this is necessary. Did Benning personally attack you or your family? Seems like a severe overreaction. 

Kinda?

Like I have a hard time believing he’s as stupid as his 7 years of moves have been, so maybe there is some targeted, sinister aspect to this. 

1 minute ago, JDLax16 said:

Kinda?

Like I have a hard time believing he’s as stupid as his 7 years of moves have been, so maybe there is some targeted, sinister aspect to this. 

Certainly he’s made some boneheaded moves. But to let the guy burn to death because you can’t part with some lifesaving yellow fire retardant seems slightly cruel. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gillis left the remnants of a near championship team. He blew at scouting and drafting. Benning excels at drafting and scouting and is extremely questionable as a team builder. Benning has had seven years to get this team into some semblance of contention or at the very least consistency.

Seven years is more than enough time. He should be replaced this summer. As should the coaching staff. Clean slate. Nothing personal.

I disagree with "remnants of a championship team". It was more like remnants of a team that was broken emotionally by the Bruins, Kings, and Sharks and was never going to get back to the top.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JDLax16 said:

I wouldn’t piss on Jim Benning to save him from a fire. 

That’s messed up dude. He’s actually a pretty nice guy and just wants to make the fans happy. Nobody’s perfect but damn man

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1