The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Where does this get you?

New GM would have to see what he's got. Is 11 games going to do that? 

Then there's the choices of the Expansion Draft.

Then 2021 Draft.

Then Free agency.

How much change will a new GM do? A prudent GM will try to get deals that makes sense.

But not make serious moves. Yet.

He'd probably have to see if a new coaching staff corrects some of the existing issues.

So you are probably looking at 1/4 to 1/2 of the new season regardless before BIG moves might be done. 

If you haven't noticed. It's taken Yzerman almost 2 years before he made his first big trade with Detroit. 

(Anthony Mantha)

Are you going to be more patient with a new GM? 

Honestly, any GM worth hiring would already be able to see the glaring holes and mistakes with this roster.

Not every GM comes in and spends years evaluating the roster. We are just conditioned to think thats the way they operate because thats what Benning did.

A new, more aggressive GM would be able to make significant changes over the next year.

The expansion draft is pretty set at this point. Maybe a new GM acquires another player or two worth keeping and exposes Pearson and Myers (who will not be selected anyway). But as it stands anyone worth protecting is already protected.

The draft is going to be a lot more of a crapshoot than most years. I have no concern a new GMwould not be able to pick a good player.

Free agency is the biggest reason to fire Benning and give someone else the reigns. I have zero confidence in Bennings ability to sign useful free agents. He signs them for too much money, too much term, and gives them trade protection. Literally any GM would probably be better at signings and cap management.

Patient with a new GM? Sure,if they actually communicate a plan and have a proper vision. Patient with Benning? Absolutely not. He is more likely to compound his mistakes than stick to a plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

But the league really could use the bounce they will get from a Leafs cup win this year. I am willing to bet you will see the officiating tilted alot in their favor in the playoffs.

We are already getting a preview of it the last few games against Van. Letting them get away with a ton and calling the other team for even less serious stuff.

You will see a lot of pp time for the Leafs in the playoffs imo.

Leafs not beating WSH or PIT or BOS.. they not making it to Cup

COL VGK looking superb.... too many good teams at the top.. Leafs can't beat any of them.. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

COL VGK looking superb.... too many good teams at the top.. Leafs can't beat any of them.. 

I hope not. But never underestimate the NHL clown show officiating and top down, league wide game management.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Habs will do better in playoffs. They are a better 5v5 team than people give them credit for. They have had a lot of comebacks that went to OT just like last night. They have so many OT losses because they don't have dynamic offensive players like the rest of the division.

Only question for MTL is their scoring but they'll be getting Gallagher and Tartar back soon and Caufield is getting games in.

52 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

He’s not going to be here for the end of the season. He’ll be playing in the world championship so it doesn’t make sense to sign him till after the season. But ya people will freak out I’m sure lol

Oh don’t get me wrong I don’t want him to play this year :lol: keep him away from this mess of a season 

we need a contributing player on ELC for 3 full years but still could sign a contract for next year any day now

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure we can all be hindsight experts :lol:

for me its more about skill set. Jim did a great job drafting even with Jake being a "miss" there's still a lot to be happy about. 

Just have real doubts he's the guy for the next phase where pro roster additions are so key. When you look at what Tampa has done e.g., you just have to marvel at their pro talent management. 

No doubt, JB seems to had/continue to hinder his ability to build a roster cause of his cap mismanagements with the bottom 6; hopefully Pearson will be the first exception: by being productive both on & off the ice.

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

No doubt, JB seems to had/continue to hinder his ability to build a roster cause of his cap mismanagements with the bottom 6; hopefully Pearson will be the first exception: by being productive both on & off the ice.

maybe we need to dump Weisbrod, he could be the source of crappy pro-scouting advice. 

50 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Habs will do better in playoffs. They are a better 5v5 team than people give them credit for. They have had a lot of comebacks that went to OT just like last night. They have so many OT losses because they don't have dynamic offensive players like the rest of the division.

Only question for MTL is their scoring but they'll be getting Gallagher and Tartar back soon and Caufield is getting games in.

Plus they've been dealing with a lot of injuries to key players lately.   

Now they're starting to get healthy again. I expect them to start winning again to close out regular season. 

MTL likely plays Oilers in 1st round. That's going to be a heck of a series. The speed and skill in that series will be off the charts.. 

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/05/01/montreal-canadiens-injuries-highlight-significance/

Edited by WHL rocks

We have 4 straight vs Oilers next week.

Going to be tough to watch especially the way Oilers been playing lately..

Wouldn't be surprised if we lost all 4. 

This Virtanen thing is a hard punch to the gut.. last thing this team needed to close out the season. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Was that only to match?

Would be to match.  My Russian source says that in Ekaterinburg a US$ 1 million salary (his 20-21 contract) would net around $850k after Agents fees, Federal, Oblast and City taxes.

Gross that up here with Agent's fees, Canadian Federal, BC and Vancouver taxes, escrow and the covid salary surrender and we are around $3.3 million.  (My accountant source here wasn't sure to what extent each US state and the IRS takes a bite out of pro-rated salary, but generally would be less than Canadian tax rate and player would get a tax credit for US taxes paid on total income .... so end result would be about the same)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Honestly, I would be happy to see Colorado ot Vegas win a cup. Maybe the Isles for the giant FU to leafs pajama boy.

Hard no to Boston, Toronto, and any other American team.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe we need to dump Weisbrod, he could be the source of crappy pro-scouting advice. 

Yeah, he has been a failed GM and team president/coo before. 

Imo, he seems like a rat that will not hesitate to point the finger at JB and offer himself as the perfect solution; despite, being a part of the problem as well - typical corporate politician of the worse kind.   

Disclaimer:  I personally, don't know Weisbrod but he just reminds me of a corporate rat I used to know.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Honestly, I would be happy to see Colorado ot Vegas win a cup. Maybe the Isles for the giant FU to leafs pajama boy.

Hard no to Boston, Toronto, and any other American team.

My rule of thumb with these things is to first separate the teams with and without championships. Toss away all the teams without. If the Canucks can’t win, I don’t want any other first time winners. Washington is a team that I broke that rule for, as I didn’t really care for the whole Crosby is so much more special than Ovechkin cause Cup crap.

The next step is probably scratching any Canadian team. If Canucks can’t win, I sure as hell don’t want other Canadian markets to be happy. Especially since they were open and hostile as temporary Bruins fans in 2010-2011. Even the cbc!

Then I sort by how gross the teams with Cups in their past are.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, he has been a failed GM (multiple times) and team president before. 

Imo, he seems like a rat that will not hesitate to point the finger at JB and offer himself as the only solution; despite being a part of the problem as well - typical corporate politician of the worse kind.   

Disclaimer:  I personally, don't know Weisbrod but he just reminds me of a corporate rat I used to know.

where? when?

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, the Laffs are in my pretender list due to the suspect d & goaltending - perhaps they can pull the original 6 bias among the Zebras to make it a 2 vs 1 contest.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1