The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Leafs l May 1, 4 p.m. l SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

It would be priceless to hear (hopefully one day) from Ron McLean, Vancouver has won the Stanley Cup.

http://www.cksn.ca/2021/01/whats-wrong-with-the-nhl-and-why-hasnt-a-canadian-team-won-the-cup-since-1993/

What’s Wrong With The NHL? (And Why Hasn’t A Canadian Team Won The Cup Since 1993?)

January 21, 2021 1:01 am

I love hockey. I love watching hockey. I cheer for my favourite Canadian team. I cheer for all Canadian teams in the NHL. And that is where my frustration begins.

The last time a Canadian NHL team won the Stanley Cup was 1993 when the Montreal Canadiens accomplished the feat. Indeed, only a small number of Canadian NHL teams have made it to the finals in the last two decades. That means that it has been 28 years and counting since a Canadian team has last won the Stanley Cup. 

Does that seem as totally unlikely to you as it does to me? Well it should. Lets discuss the basic statistics behind this series of events to better understand how truly unlikely it is. 

Let’s presume that every NHL team has an equal chance each year at winning the Cup. I know you’re thinking thats a huge presumption, but bear with me as I present this basic argument. I realize that every team doesn’t have the same chance to win, but in my mind, an exciting NHL would have that kind of parity. And over almost 30 years, the law of averages should take affect. 

So, with 7 Canadian teams in a 31 team league, the odds of a Canadian team winning the Cup should be 7 divided 31. And that means that the odds of a Canadian team not winning the Cup would be 24 divided by 31. For this to happen 28 consecutive times

the odds of this event occurring would be 24/31 to the exponent 28.

If you have a calculator, you will see that the product of this calculation is 0.0007. That is less than one tenth of one percent. Seven chances in ten thousand! No gambler would ever take these odds. It is outrageously unlikely. 

So what’s wrong? The usual answers I have received when I posed this question to friends and other hockey fans are as follows:

Canadian teams are poorly managed.

I really don’t believe this. Some teams have poor management for a period of time, but not all 7 Canadian teams are poorly managed collectively for 28 years

Canadian teams don’t pay as well.

All NHL players are paid in USA dollars. So that isn’t it. It is true that taxes in Canada are higher, but does that prevent quality players from joining Canadian teams year after year

NHL Players don’t want to play in a cold climate

Nonsense. Would a NHL player turn down an opportunity to play in the hotbed of hockey? Honestly, there are some warm climate locations in the NHL, where people, in general, don’t know what hockey even is. In some warm weather locations in the NHL, hockey coverage comes well after most other sports. 

Final Thoughts

So what really is the problem? That’s a great question to ask Gary Bettman. I think its got a lot to do with revenue streams to the NHL, television rites, marketing, drafting players, expansion and so on. 

At any rate, when you start to get old and cynical like me, you wonder if NHL hockey chooses the winners in advance like the WWE. I really hope I’m wrong. I’m sure that you have an opinion on this matter. Share it with us.

By Garth Vanstone

Though the math isn't 100% accurate, given that several teams joined in the interim, it's close enough.

This league is a mafia.

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Letting go of those players isnt the problem. Letting go of them and having very little to nothing to show for it on your roster is.

Until guys like Podz, Lind, etc. actually show at the NHL level they can be core players, its unfair to automatically proclaim they 100% will be. Maybe they will be the next guys you lump in as not important as an asset to the team.

People can and did want Toffoli signed and not Markstrom. Like me. 

Sorry to be the one to break it to you but Quinn Hughes is not a true #1 dman yet. Offensively yes, defensively no way in hell. True #1 dmen need to be able to play well on both sides of the puck. And Hughes is terrible defensively at this point.

Teams lose players for nothing all the time. Only Canuck fans keep an actual diary of every transaction the GM makes and throws it back in their faces when the team does poorly. Bergevin literally threw away a #2 defenceman in Sergachev yet he still has his job and his team is actually better now than before even without Sergachev. 

Stuff happens.  Hughes may not be a true #1 Dman but he’s an 80 point defenseman that every team would love to have. Partner him with a big stay at home defenceman and he is a superstar core piece to any Stanley Cup championship team. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Both. Their confidence was shattered. And that includes Gillis and ownerships condidence in the type of team they were committed to buildinh.

And yet we are looking  at a team built very similarly again.  Petey,  Boeser, Hughes...all small and subject to physical domination.  A supporting cast incapable of contributing consistently placing more pressure on our top line making it easier to shut down. A defense that is smaller,.less physical and as a group less offensive -  Looks like ownership and management weren't paying attention. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Teams lose players for nothing all the time. Only Canuck fans keep an actual diary of every transaction the GM makes and throws it back in their faces when the team does poorly. Bergevin literally threw away a #2 defenceman in Sergachev yet he still has his job and his team is actually better now than before even without Sergachev. 

Stuff happens.  Hughes may not be a true #1 Dman but he’s an 80 point defenseman that every team would love to have. Partner him with a big stay at home defenceman and he is a superstar core piece to any Stanley Cup championship team. 

You have clearly never been to another team's forum. ALL teams fans do it.

All GM's make bad trades, signings, etc. But most at the very least balance the bad with the good.

The difference with Bergevin is he has a very clear idea of what he wants his team to be and has also made some great trades. Trading Sergachev was a bad trade but at the time he at least got back a good player that he clearly thought would do more than he has. 

The Canucks under Benning are a mish mash with no discernable idea of what he wants the identity of the team to be and Benning has very few trade wins on his record. Toffoli, net negative because he let him walk. Tryamkin gone for nothing. Gaudette traded for a 4th liner at best. McCann for nothing substantial. Forsling for nothing. All those 2nd and 3rd round picks that could have added to the prospect pool gone for nothing. Benning is one of the worst GM's I have ever seen for evaluating pro players.

Thats the problem with Hughes. Who are they going to partner him with to turn him into a #1 guy? They dont have that type of dman and dont have the cap to sign a true top pairing guy that can effectively play with him. Hamonic isnt good enough to carry Hughes defensively.

You said he isn't a true #1 which was the point I was making. Hopefully he can get there. 

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s almost like they pretend they were in the room when Benning called every GM and nobody wanted Gaudette. And of course we should have just signed Tryamkin this week without even the thought of our cap situation after the expansion draft and into the summer.  What if we signed Tryamkin this week and then didn’t have enough money to reup Petey and Hughes?  Do we even know what either of those guys is looking for?  They only share the same agent who’s one of the best in the business so I’m sure Benning will be able to sign them to super team friendly contracts. Like that’s really going to happen. 

Exactly, we literally know pretty much zero and any info the media gives us can’t be trusted imo. They are just as much or worse then some of these fans. 

We can speculate. But what I try to do myself is look at it each move from both sides. Forget who the GM is for a sec and analyze it that way. When someone doesn’t like someone they immediately react to the negative. To them it doesn’t matter if It’s a good move or not or if there were other road blocks we don’t know about. It will be spun how the person wants to spin it.

Perfect example right now. Jim goes from big spender (literally has to buy players to come here) to not spending much at all. Actually focusing on the cap for the future. He has to adapt, the cap ain’t moving up. He started that process last off-season and continues to do so with even the littlest moves. What’s Highmore paid next year? League minimum. What’s Gaudette going to get next year 1.5 - 3 million?. Tryamkin has proved nothing. He’s not buying him to come over here. See a trend here? Fans seeing it the other way now and some are still as angry as before. They will actually dismiss the good things Benning has done. Say things like ran outta time, blah blah blah.

He’s not perfect that’s for sure but who tf is? I think Toffoli was a forced error but am I crying over spilled milk Gaudette and Tryamkin. Nope! Don’t care. Wish Adam luck in Chicago that’s about it. Wasn’t a fit here why pay him. We tried. End of story.

I think this is a very important off-season for JB. Nice thing this year he’ll actually have some time to properly make moves. Most of the free agents panicked last year with the covid shutdown. Pretty much the same as any regular Joe. There should be a lot less of that this off-season imo 

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, xereau said:

http://www.cksn.ca/2021/01/whats-wrong-with-the-nhl-and-why-hasnt-a-canadian-team-won-the-cup-since-1993/

What’s Wrong With The NHL? (And Why Hasn’t A Canadian Team Won The Cup Since 1993?)

January 21, 2021 1:01 am

I love hockey. I love watching hockey. I cheer for my favourite Canadian team. I cheer for all Canadian teams in the NHL. And that is where my frustration begins.

The last time a Canadian NHL team won the Stanley Cup was 1993 when the Montreal Canadiens accomplished the feat. Indeed, only a small number of Canadian NHL teams have made it to the finals in the last two decades. That means that it has been 28 years and counting since a Canadian team has last won the Stanley Cup. 

Does that seem as totally unlikely to you as it does to me? Well it should. Lets discuss the basic statistics behind this series of events to better understand how truly unlikely it is. 

Let’s presume that every NHL team has an equal chance each year at winning the Cup. I know you’re thinking thats a huge presumption, but bear with me as I present this basic argument. I realize that every team doesn’t have the same chance to win, but in my mind, an exciting NHL would have that kind of parity. And over almost 30 years, the law of averages should take affect. 

So, with 7 Canadian teams in a 31 team league, the odds of a Canadian team winning the Cup should be 7 divided 31. And that means that the odds of a Canadian team not winning the Cup would be 24 divided by 31. For this to happen 28 consecutive times

the odds of this event occurring would be 24/31 to the exponent 28.

If you have a calculator, you will see that the product of this calculation is 0.0007. That is less than one tenth of one percent. Seven chances in ten thousand! No gambler would ever take these odds. It is outrageously unlikely. 

So what’s wrong? The usual answers I have received when I posed this question to friends and other hockey fans are as follows:

Canadian teams are poorly managed.

I really don’t believe this. Some teams have poor management for a period of time, but not all 7 Canadian teams are poorly managed collectively for 28 years

Canadian teams don’t pay as well.

All NHL players are paid in USA dollars. So that isn’t it. It is true that taxes in Canada are higher, but does that prevent quality players from joining Canadian teams year after year

NHL Players don’t want to play in a cold climate

Nonsense. Would a NHL player turn down an opportunity to play in the hotbed of hockey? Honestly, there are some warm climate locations in the NHL, where people, in general, don’t know what hockey even is. In some warm weather locations in the NHL, hockey coverage comes well after most other sports. 

Final Thoughts

So what really is the problem? That’s a great question to ask Gary Bettman. I think its got a lot to do with revenue streams to the NHL, television rites, marketing, drafting players, expansion and so on. 

At any rate, when you start to get old and cynical like me, you wonder if NHL hockey chooses the winners in advance like the WWE. I really hope I’m wrong. I’m sure that you have an opinion on this matter. Share it with us.

By Garth Vanstone

Though the math isn't 100% accurate, given that several teams joined in the interim, it's close enough.

This league is a mafia.

I’ve said it before but I think it has to do with the way Canadian fans “support” the team.  

There’s a vocal minority who dominate the discussion as though they need to “hold the team accountable” and that reaches from the owners and management down to include any player who isn’t on a bargain contract. 

We also lead the league in podcasters/60 and the stats show that correlates to a horrendous xGT% (expected good time.) 

45 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Exactly, we literally know pretty much zero and any info the media gives us can’t be trusted imo. They are just as much or worse then some of these fans. 

We can speculate. But what I try to do myself is look at it each move from both sides. Forget who the GM is for a sec and analyze it that way. When someone doesn’t like someone they immediately react to the negative. To them it doesn’t matter if It’s a good move or not or if there were other road blocks we don’t know about. It will be spun how the person wants to spin it.

Perfect example right now. Jim goes from big spender (literally has to buy players to come here) to not spending much at all. Actually focusing on the cap for the future. He has to adapt, the cap ain’t moving up. He started that process last off-season and continues to do so with even the littlest moves. What’s Highmore paid next year? League minimum. What’s Gaudette going to get next year 1.5 - 3 million?. Tryamkin has proved nothing. He’s not buying him to come over here. See a trend here? Fans seeing it the other way now and some are still as angry as before. They will actually dismiss the good things Benning has done. Say things like ran outta time, blah blah blah.

He’s not perfect that’s for sure but who tf is? I think Toffoli was a forced error but am I crying over spilled milk Gaudette and Tryamkin. Nope! Don’t care. Wish Adam luck in Chicago that’s about it. Wasn’t a fit here why pay him. We tried. End of story.

I think this is a very important off-season for JB. Nice thing this year he’ll actually have some time to properly make moves. Most of the free agents panicked last year with the covid shutdown. Pretty much the same as any regular Joe. There should be a lot less of that this off-season imo 

Its like a cult with Benning supporters. Cant trust the media, its a personal attack against Benning if you question his moves or his competence.

Why is the go to that its somehow a personal vendetta against Benning if anyone thinks he has screwed up? Its not personal at all. People just look at his body of work and feel he sucks at his job. It wouldnt matter to me who he was. If the next guy comes in and sucks at his job i will complain about him too.

Your opinion is that players like Gaudette and Tryamkin, or their value in trades, is not important. Other people think its very important. What makes you right and them wrong?

You cannot admit a single thing you think Benning has done wrong but chastise people for not seeing the things he did right?

How does that square your argument with people like me who have posted many times about what I think he has done right or has been good at but also point out that imo on the whole there are lots of things he has screwed up and lots of things he sucks at?

Am I only right when I say he did something right? Why is my judgment then correct but if I criticize him my judgment is suddenly faulty? 

The only time that becomes a possibility is when someone responding to me has no ability to be objective.