The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

people get re-victimized coming forward, I don't envy people that have to be put through that. 

We just have to wait now and see how this evolves.

The hardest part about coming forward is the thought process of "what is to be gained" because it's so hard to convict someone in these cases because it's all "he said/she said". You have to really feel like you might be able to help someone else out by sharing your stories. 

She was helped by hearing someone else's so she likely felt she could help someone else by sharing hers. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

This is not fair at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
3 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

The hardest part about coming forward is the thought process of "what is to be gained" because it's so hard to convict someone in these cases because it's all "he said/she said". You have to really feel like you might be able to help someone else out by sharing your stories. 

She was helped by hearing someone else's so she likely felt she could help someone else by sharing hers. 

well thats it, really. I do know this is going to take months to sort out, unless something else comes to light. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is not fair at all. 

It's scary that some have that mentality.

• Hydration 2
9 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

you do realize people have the right to change their minds? 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

that still means no, but on the other hand inconsistencies in the spoken word is a little concerning, and probably enough to throw out the case, without other damaging evidence against jake

you know what i'm going to take my own advice and rescind this comment, it's not fair to either party.

• Hydration 1

So done with Virtanen.

This is the Sequoyah Log that broke the bear’s back.

He’s gone.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not at all for censorship, but appreciate where you’re coming from.

When I see the media release which rather explicitly separates Orca from Jake, because of an allegation, I am forced to realize that something like that, is what ruins peoples lives, not us, gossipers. 

The Canucks have essentially left Jake out in the open for the vultures.  It happens all the time. An allegation happens and then the person who it’s made against is treated like a disease until the court stuff is over.  

And what happens when it’s not true, or there’s no conviction? 

It’s incredible how we can treat a person as guilty and get away with it like that, despite the law.  

I’d like all predators evaporated, most definitely, but I wonder how many times these types of allegations are erroneous, malicious or worse. How can Orca or any other employer get away with what amounts to, we don’t want to be associated with someone associated with something that is unproven, because it’s so disgusting...?  

Regardless, switching gears, the Virtanen family will be in hell and that’s going to be brutal for them.  I really hope Jake is just a dirty boy, and not a predator. 

The bolded is totally true....

However, to say Canucks have left Jake out I the open, is unsubstantiated speculation 189lb.

For all we know, they are removing Jake from the spot light, to give him time to think things over. 

Imagine Jake is innocent, and during the match Leaf players are winding him up, by calling him rapist or the likes. Next he swings a his club and takes out an eye or similar.

It could also be strange amongst the group in general with these sort of allegations.... So I think the club has taken the necessary and right actions... 

And I'm also feel for the Virtanen family... The are going through hell just now...

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
12 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

If this is not ground for a ban I don’t know what it.

It’s 2021.

• Hydration 2
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats it, really. I do know this is going to take months to sort out, unless something else comes to light. 

I do hope that both parties have a good support system around them. Hard times, and media will not help make it easier.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It is possible he is a total scumbag but these allegations are false. Thats what investigations are for.

Thats all I'm saying. So we agree. I'm not convicting Vrt of anything all Im saying is his behavior patterns past and present make him a negative distraction for the team. That the Canucks should break ties with. I have no comment on the validity of the claims.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

It’s 2021.

I'm leaving it in a move to raise awareness that people still have this stone age mentality.  I'm quite sure we, as a group, will convince them of why the modern world no longer accepts this garbage.

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Well it doesn't sound like she needed to scream, she could've just left at many points.  It's tough because now you are victim shaming, but on the other hand Virtanen is also having his name dragged through the mud here.  

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It’s 2021.

It's really not grounds for a ban.  

On one hand you have cases like Weinstein (or however you spell his name) that clearly used his power status to pressure women into having sex with him.  

On the other hand you have cases like Aziz Ansari where a women went for dinner, went back to his place and they had consensual sex only to later go back and say that she didn't feel comfortable.  

Now in this case, if it's in fact true that she said that she didn't want to have sex multiple times then Jake is in the wrong, but we are only seeing one side of the story here.  

58 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

@oldnews remember the epic arguments we used to have over this guy vs Nylander/Ehlers?  Wish you were right. 

I don't remember those - (then again my memory may be selective) - but I do remember all the arguments over the Leafs as a whole haha - glad you weren't right.

50/50?