The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Thats all I'm saying. So we agree. I'm not convicting Vrt of anything all Im saying is his behavior patterns past and present make him a negative distraction for the team. That the Canucks should break ties with. I have no comment on the validity of the claims.

Virt has played his way off the team even before these allegations.  

We'll see, Rangers had a similar case with Panarin earlier this year and stood by him.  He went back to Russia to deal with the matter. 

25 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If it happens it today's society because so many others are coming out about it then I think you should divulge it right away not 3.5 years later after reading a similar rumoured story that has transpired...WITHOUT knowing fact from fiction.

21 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

Exhibit A and B for victim blaming. 

@RakuRaku that is a disgusting way to look at it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

The hardest part about coming forward is the thought process of "what is to be gained" because it's so hard to convict someone in these cases because it's all "he said/she said". You have to really feel like you might be able to help someone else out by sharing your stories. 

She was helped by hearing someone else's so she likely felt she could help someone else by sharing hers. 

Let’s remember that the initial testimony was published on a private Instagram account where victims of sexual abuse could vent about their experiences. She didn’t come forward, somebody outed her experience, which makes it look less and less like a cynical slander situation. 

I agree on not coming to premature conclusions but it’s not a good look for Jake. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well it doesn't sound like she needed to scream, she could've just left at many points.  It's tough because now you are victim shaming, but on the other hand Virtanen is also having his name dragged through the mud here.  

Unless you yourself have been in a similar situation you can't possibly say that. Not to mention you don't know how forceful the situation might have been, since you were not in the room. 

Not to mention you don't know how it will escalate should you try to leave. Will the abuser become violent, or will they let me walk? The lesser of two evils becomes - I dont want a beating so ill voice myself of not wanting such acts to take place. If my voice isn't enough to stop them I don't want to risk getting injured physically as well. 

Logically it doesn't sound like it makes sense but its "easier" to take sexual assault then it is to take a beating

• Cheers 1

Just now, LionofJudah said:

Unless you yourself have been in a similar situation you can't possibly say that. Not to mention you don't know how forceful the situation might have been, since you were not in the room. 

Not to mention you don't know how it will escalate should you try to leave. Will the abuser become violent, or will they let me walk? The lesser of two evils becomes - I dont want a beating so ill voice myself of not wanting such acts to take place. If my voice isn't enough to stop them I don't want to risk getting injured physically as well. 

Logically it doesn't sound like it makes sense but its "easier" to take sexual assault then it is to take a beating

That's true on all points.  Plus he's a famous hockey player and all that...  

It's tough not to put yourself in someone else's situation and think about what you would've/could've done. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Let’s remember that the initial testimony was published on a private Instagram account where victims of sexual abuse could vent about their experiences. She didn’t come forward, somebody outed her experience, which makes it look less and less like a cynical slander situation. 

I agree on not coming to premature conclusions but it’s not a good look for Jake. 

That is what I meant by saying she was helped so she thought she would try to help. I would guess (and I could be wrong) that she was just trying to help someone else make a decision to come forward sooner. 

If you report someone right after it happens there are plenty of ways to get a conviction. Most people however fear the backlash and stay quiet well too long.

3 minutes ago, LionofJudah said:

Plus he's not the average guy; he's a professional hockey player, and a big one at that. The whole "just say no" argument is so ridiculous. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

NHL hope for Jake or not, this is extremely unfortunate. He is obviously battling personal demons but we can't pass judgment until we know the truth. **SIGH**

Can't pass judgement you say, right after passing judgement?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Plus he's not the average guy; he's a professional hockey player, and a big one at that. The whole "just say no" argument is so ridiculous. 

Wasn't it Don Lemon who asked a rape victim, why she didn't just bite his penis off.

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Right, and if the story is true then she did in fact say no which is really the most important cue when it comes to sexual consent.  

Well I was really hoping that this story didn't have any legs but it's not a good look for Jake.  

Just now, Dirtman said:

Not really, his off ice behavior is pretty well documented. 

Partying at the Roxy? 

40 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

I was in the hotel room with a girl that I was actually dating.

She said that we weren’t having sex, sure I was disappointed but no means no.

People have the right to change their mind, even in the the middle of the sex.

On the bright side, your hand never says no to you so feel to go to town.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm leaving it in a move to raise awareness that people still have this stone age mentality.  I'm quite sure we, as a group, will convince them of why the modern world no longer accepts this garbage.

Not sure such people will ever get it. It’s like the Trumpists and the anti-maskers; too dumb to understand the ramifications of their own words.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Partying at the Roxy? 

Just in general, but definitely with his partying as a big part of it. That being said, I don't need to lay on the guy anymore. I really do hope it's not true, but I feel for the girl as well. Really tough situation.

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I was in the hotel room with a girl that I was actually dating.

She said that we weren’t having sex, sure I was disappointed but no means no.

People have the right to change their mind, even in the the middle of the sex.

On the bright side, your hand never say no to you so feel to go to town.

Of course if she made it clear... but guys usually get mixed signals!

3 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Not really, his off ice behavior is pretty well documented. 

They are still human, he has been accused of partying in the Okanagan in the summer...I have worked for 7 different NHL players, all of them have partied hard and drank their faces off in the off season. That said, a hung over Brent Seabrook or Ryan Smyth in particular still woke up the next day and put in a hard day of training then went back out on the boat or golf course and partied it up again after. Vern Fiddler was just a prick to work for tho, that guy wanted to be treated like some elite level client when he lived in a suburban home in the Southridge kelowna subdivision...

Its 2021 and social media has ruined this to make it a bigger deal than it is when it comes to partying during the players "off season". Players work and train harder than anyone on here, they should be allowed to hangout  with their friends and party during the summer...but it is on them to still put in the work and most do that