The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jake Virtanen placed on leave by the Canucks following sexual misconduct allegation

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I also have a friend who’s still paying dearly from a false allegation,

My experience with false accusations was over quickly; but scared the hell out of me.

25 plus yrs ago, but I will remmber that feeling forever.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

As a Lawyer I can tell you this right now this is going no where fast. 

I read the story and it is going to be a he said she said unless she went to to hospital afterwards. Even then the rape tests often bring nothing to light unless it shows some serious physical damage.

What will happen Is Virtanen will be dragged through the hell of social media and if it is true that will be the most justice she will most likely get and something he desrves.

If it is false Virtanen reputation will be tarnished because of it and she will never receive the help she needs for making false accusations. Virtanen will have no means to fight back as most times these people come from no money and has no reputation of their own.

Either way most likely true justice will never be served in a court case. Virtanen will not be found guilty if true. Therefore, she will never have her day in court and Virtanen will not have his name cleared if it is false.

Virtanen if you did it pay her now if not listen to your Lawyer and keep your mouth shut.

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, WZRD said:

So if you choose to believe the victim first right away before due process, that means you’re automatically believing that the accused is guilty without them having gone through due process?

would rather believe a victim first over a potential rapist

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

My experience with false accusations was over quickly; but scared the hell out of me.

25 plus yrs ago, but I will remmber that feeling forever.

They exist which is awful. This is a part of why we have to respect due process. It’s best not to believe anything yet. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

According to her comments, she didn't say "No!!!" What she said multiple times is "I don't want to have sex!!" That could be misconstrued as it's okay to make out but I don't want to have sex. According to the statement once she became adamant, Jake realized she wasn't interested and backed off. She slept at his hotel room with no further contact.

So what did Jake do wrong exactly based on this description?   

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I’d rather the legal process play itself out. If you were ever accused of sexual assault or any criminal offence for that matter let’s see how you’d like things to play out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

As a Lawyer I can tell you this right now this is going no where fast. 

I read the story and it is going to be a he said she said unless she went to to hospital afterwards. Even then the rape tests often bring nothing to light unless it shows some serious physical damage.

What will happen Is Virtanen will be dragged through the hell of social media and if it is true that will be the most justice she will most likely get and something he desrves.

If it is false Virtanen reputation will be tarnished because of it and she will never receive the help she needs for making false accusations. Virtanen will have no means to fight back as most times these people come from no money and has no reputation of their own.

Either way most likely true justice will never be served in a court case. Virtanen will not be found guilty if true. Therefore, she will never have her day in court and Virtanen will not have his name cleared if it is false.

Virtanen if you did it pay her now if not listen to your Lawyer and keep your mouth shut.

Good context, can you see the PR dept getting involved in something like this from a pro sports pov cause (personally) I assume the AG trade was done by the PR dept - your thoughts ?

Probably, good chance there will be a settlement from a PR pov ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

When the situation is grey it’s best not to look at it so black and white. 

The way I look at it is what it that was a close friend or even son with the allegation, I would probably want to figure out the truth before passing judgement. 

Not choosing a side yet, just seeing how this pans out. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Apricot said:

We should always believe the victim first, always. I don’t automatically believe or assume the accused is guilty because yes false accusations do happen. Believing the victim doesn’t automatically make me believe the accused is guilty. There still needs to be an investigation, evidence. Believe me though, even though false accusations do happen, not a whole lot of people are willing to go out in public to tell their story and risk being victim-blamed, shamed, attacked, for no reason. 

I’m sorry but I really disagree, there are two sides to the story and we can’t pick and chose who to believe based on emotion. If “believe the victim” was the case I’d be scared how many false claims would arise. Having said that both condemning Jake nor shaming her are not OK.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

After seeing his conduct here in the Okanagan last year.  After seeing first hand and hearing stories of how he treated young women.  I am sure as hell not going to chime in here but the guy is certainly no gentleman.  

As for "wHy dId sHe wAiT 3 yEarS"

Look, I know a woman that was raped, like openly forcibly raped at a party...it was witnessed it was actually laughed about and cheered on.  She refused like outright REFUSED to go to the police, she begged her friends to not tell her fiance it happened.  She didn't want him to leave her.  She didn't want her family who were very devout catholics to think ill of her.

She started drinking, her relationship fell apart and it took her almost 2 years to actually seek closure, take counselling go to the police and ONLY because another woman spoke up about it.  Sadly, of all the witnesses that saw it happen; only 2 deigned to speak to police about it and 1 requested it be off the record because "it was a good friend of mine and I don't want him to think im a narc"

Stop asking why women wait any length of time to speak up about assaults and start asking why the hell men are still to this day refusing to accept boundaries or degrading women for speaking up about it.

Odds are if you don't know a rapist or a person who has committed a sexual assault, you have 100% met a woman who has been assaulted.

This is the very sad reality we live in. I can definitely name more women in my life who have experienced assault then I can name men who have committed assault. 

Odds are that the women in your life who have experienced it have not told a soul about it. It took me 15 years before telling one person.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

When the situation is grey it’s best not to look at it so black and white. 

The way I look at it is what it that was a close friend or even son with the allegation, I would probably want to figure out the truth before passing judgement. 

Not choosing a side yet, just seeing how this pans out. 

Yeah, society is certainly at a tipping point.  

9 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

So what did Jake do wrong exactly based on this description?   

I was going by a deleted statement on twitter. It was in parts and I may have missed some. More details have come to light since then which are very disturbing.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Then why is Jake struggling?? Why the stories of him going to nightclubs?? 

1) Who knows?

2) Who cares?

Let's just get back to the post you made about not passing judgement, right after allegeding someone had personal demons.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

The Glacier Media article says the girl agreed to go to a hotel with him....

So, not to make light of the allegation, what exactly did you have in mind going to a hotel room with a young cute boy? To study Bible? Enjoy a lobster meal via room service? Again, I am against any form of sexual misconduct but you kinda know what's coming... and you could scream for help!

I took a girl home once.  Got involved.  Before anything happened she said she changed her mind.  I offered her a cab home, she lived up the valley and was not in any shape to drive.  So i gave her a bottle of water, some advil and asked if she needed another blanket; showed her how to work the thermostat and left the room to sleep on my couch.

I don't kinda know what's coming.  Because i'm a man raised by a woman raising women of my own with a good woman at my side.

Respect is NOT knowing you can scream for help in the midst of a sexual assault you've already said no to, respect is simply knowing that no means F$!*$#G no and that you can say no and have the ability to leave the situation.  

I'm appalled at this statement and think you should never have had your name changed.  Virtanen#18 should have stuck and you should be forced to wear that like a badge for that comment.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2